WWoHP powers Universal to record results

fractal

Original Poster
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...ry-potter-attendance-20101015,0,6541043.story

Wizarding World of Harry Potter powers Universal Orlando to record results

snip..

The results confirmed what most of the theme-park industry already suspected: Universal is reaping a financial windfall from Wizarding World, its collection of rides, shops and eateries themed around the phenomenally popular Harry Potter franchise. The $200-plus million addition opened June 18 in Islands of Adventure.
Universal's quarterly revenue rocketed 62 percent to $364 million, fueled by ticket sales and enormous demand for Potter-themed merchandise ranging from mugs of butterbeer to magic wands and Hogwarts school robes. Wizarding World's popularity allowed Universal to raise ticket and parking prices in the middle of the quarter, boosting revenue further.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Two more movies still to be released.

The sooner they expand the better.

WDW ignores this at their peril.
I'm not sure there's any peril for Disney. I know in my case my August WDW vacation was just extended to include time for WWOHP, so Disney actually benefited financially from Harry Potter being added. :king:

Obviously, there are going to be some people who forego Disney in exchange for WWOHP, but I'm guessing there are plenty who do both. Doing both will not hurt Disney significantly, if at all.

SleepingMonk

People switching from 5 days at WDW to 3 days at WDW and 2 days at Universal will indeed "hurt" the mouse.

Any mid-level marketing schmuck worth his salt will tell you that's not the path you want to tread.

Computer Magic

I don't think any business wants the competitors door opened. The customers might like what they see. Yesterday many only went to WDW, today people are splitting their time/adding a day, tomorrow they may reduce WDW and add UO. I love competition, I only hope WDW stops being arrogant and starts to see the door has been opened.

FL is a start but there needs to be more.

As much as I disliked Eisner at the end, he knew this. This is why the Studios was built.

fractal

Original Poster
In today's tight economy and vacation budgets getting squeezed, I have to believe that most people will not add on days to hit IOA but will subtract days from Disney or just make it a shorter Universal-IOA vacation.

amjt660

Premium Member
Going in December (1st time @ Christmas, 11th trip total)
Only doing 4 nights @ Disney and 2 @ USF.
Harry Potter is the draw for staying at Universal.
Before him we might have done a day trip but would have stayed at the Mouse the whole time.

Rob562

The other thing to consider is how many people are a "one and done" kinda visitor? How many people will become *repeat* visitors to the Universal parks?

The main reason I visited on my long-weekend trip last year (main reason for the trip was a wedding) was because I had one of those free tickets from the Super Bowl, and I'd never been to the Universal Studios park, so I concentrated on that park, with about 90 minutes in IOA at the end of the day.

My only prior visit had been for IOA only, way back in 2003. In the 6 years between those visits, I made 7 week-long visits to WDW.

Next year I'll go for a day with a friend, but we'll be going to IOA only. After that I don't see myself re-visiting for quite a while. I just don't see that the Uni parks have the repeatability power that WDW has.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom