WWoHP Phase 2 ?

JT3000

I get the feeling that Mr. Meyer isn't actually up to speed with what's going on in the theme parks division and likely answered a question he shouldn't have. Especially with such a definite answer. Either way, I wouldn't take it as confirmation as in, "This is definitely happening." I'll also be pretty surprised if Potter doesn't remain exclusive to IOA.

The tearing down of the old Hard Rock is a more interesting development, although that article also seems to be jumping to conclusions.

AswaySuller

Before you call out someone, better check your facts. Jaws was indeed one of the original rides that opened with Universal.

That kinda makes you a DoubleD-ick!! :p

CoasterKing
:king:

I'm pretty sure Jaws was meant to open with the park but was so flawed it wasn't and actually opened years later.... is that wrong?
I remember going to Universal for years before I ever rode a Jaws ride.

skellington22

Original Poster
I get the feeling that Mr. Meyer isn't actually up to speed with what's going on in the theme parks division and likely answered a question he shouldn't have. Especially with such a definite answer. Either way, I wouldn't take it as confirmation as in, "This is definitely happening." I'll also be pretty surprised if Potter doesn't remain exclusive to IOA.

The tearing down of the old Hard Rock is a more interesting development, although that article also seems to be jumping to conclusions.

Yes if you read the article it says that just because he said more Harry Potter attractions doesnt even mean it would be in Florida.... it could be Universal Hollywood or out of the country...but there were rumors luring for some time now about a second phase of WWoHP to be placed possibly in the Universal Studios side of Universal Orlando

CoasterKing

I'm pretty sure Jaws was meant to open with the park but was so flawed it wasn't and actually opened years later.... is that wrong?
I remember going to Universal for years before I ever rode a Jaws ride.

Jaws actually did open with the park originally, but yes many of the effects did not work properly all of the time. So they closed it down after 3 or 4 months, and made changes and refurbs over the next couple of years, in which it stayed closed during that time. I believe almost 3 year laters, it reopened to what we see today. But as I said, it did open with the park.

I apologize to the other poster if he meant that it did not remain untouched instead of it wasn't an original ride. But I thought he was a little rude in pointing out a possible misstatement by another poster.

CoasterKing
:king:

GLaDOS

The current contract only gives them the rights in Florida. So unless they've signed a new contract Potter isn't going anywhere other than Florida.

And I agree that Meyer probably isn't all that involved with the Potter stuff. More will go into IoA, and that's about it.

The knocking down of the Hard Rock is curious enough, but add in the fact they are rearranging more buildings in the area along with the demolition paints a much clearer picture.

JT3000

Yes if you read the article it says that just because he said more Harry Potter attractions doesnt even mean it would be in Florida.... it could be Universal Hollywood or out of the country...but there were rumors luring for some time now about a second phase of WWoHP to be placed possibly in the Universal Studios side of Universal Orlando

They aren't putting anything Potter related in USF. That's completely illogical. I've also heard no such rumors, so I'm not sure where you're getting them from. If Potter expands, it will be in IOA.

As for Universal's other locations, doing anything there would require negotiating a new contract with Rowling, as the original one was for Orlando only. And none of the other currently existing Universal parks even have the space for an entirely new land, lest something substantial get bulldozed.

And to clear up the Jaws confusion, the original version DID open with the park, but certain effects didn't exactly work well. Especially the shark that bit the boat & turned it around. They eventually sued the designers of the original version and had Totally Fun Company (who designed most of the park's other original attractions) create what we see today. The current version opened in '93.

cheezbat

It would seem weird to see Potter phase 2 put in Universal Studios...I really don't think they'll do that. I see them finishing out taking over the Lost Continent area and additional backstage areas to complete Potter...and add a few new big attractions over at Studios to boost it's attendance. Who knows...maybe they'll look for another big property to use as a land in the Studios park! :animwink:

skellington22

Original Poster
They aren't putting anything Potter related in USF. That's completely illogical. I've also heard no such rumors, so I'm not sure where you're getting them from. If Potter expands, it will be in IOA.

As for Universal's other locations, doing anything there would require negotiating a new contract with Rowling, as the original one was for Orlando only. And none of the other currently existing Universal parks even have the space for an entirely new land, lest something substantial get bulldozed.

And to clear up the Jaws confusion, the original version DID open with the park, but certain effects didn't exactly work well. Especially the shark that bit the boat & turned it around. They eventually sued the designers of the original version and had Totally Fun Company (who designed most of the park's other original attractions) create what we see today. The current version opened in '93.

How would that be illogical? Just because they are dividing one movie among two different parks?? You mean the way Disney has Finding Nemo in both Animal Kingdom and Epcot, the way Little Mermaid and Beauty and the beast will have attractions both Hollywood Studios and In Magic Kingdom when Fantasyland is done.... If they do decide to add Harry Potter Attractions into USO in the Universal Studios side... they will avoid one ticket options that guests are starting to purchase just to see The Wizarding world and they are trying to save a falling Universal Studios side "if they decided to do so" not saying they are... but it wouldnt be as illogical as some may think.

JT3000

^ Most of those attractions were placed pretty haphazardly, and their placement was usually of little consequence. It's not comparable to a franchise already having an entire dedicated land somewhere on property. You don't start building related attractions elsewhere in that case (although you really shouldn't do it regardless.)

c-one

How would that be illogical? Just because they are dividing one movie among two different parks?? You mean the way Disney has Finding Nemo in both Animal Kingdom and Epcot, the way Little Mermaid and Beauty and the beast will have attractions both Hollywood Studios and In Magic Kingdom when Fantasyland is done.... If they do decide to add Harry Potter Attractions into USO in the Universal Studios side... they will avoid one ticket options that guests are starting to purchase just to see The Wizarding world and they are trying to save a falling Universal Studios side "if they decided to do so" not saying they are... but it wouldnt be as illogical as some may think.
That's kind of a false comparison. These aren't just Harry Potter attractions, they're fully-fledged lands and environments. It would be like Disney announcing the Avatar-land and saying that half of Pandora will be at DAK, but the other half will be at the Studios.

jonnyc

That's kind of a false comparison. These aren't just Harry Potter attractions, they're fully-fledged lands and environments. It would be like Disney announcing the Avatar-land and saying that half of Pandora will be at DAK, but the other half will be at the Studios.

But they could always do a seperate part of the Harry Potter Universe in USF, like Diagon Alley or Askaban then there would be a clear seperation of the two lands.

Pete C

I don't see Universal putting HP at USF. That would just confuse guests and make the entire experience disjointed. Besides, there are already attractions at the Lost Continent that are practically dead and worth replacing: Poseidon and Sinbad. If they do create Diagon Alley, they could easily move the wand shop there and replace the existing space with something else from Hogsmeade...making the whole thing even more authentic.

As for Transformers, I don't think we will see it in Orlando. It's too similar to Spiderman.

Matpez

So the rumors looming around, are that there is a WWoHP phase 2 in plans for the Universal Studios Orlando side of Universal, possibly Diagon Alley and goodbye to Jaws Ride, is there any validity to this rumor?

Universal Orlando's Facebook Page said:
Hey fans, we want you to be the first to know… JAWS! and the Amity area will officially close on January 2 to make room for an exciting, NEW, experience we’re planning for you.

We know you love JAWS! and we do too. It has been an amazing attraction and after terrorizing the waters of Amity here at Universal Orlando for 20 years, it’s a VERY important part of our history. So, we’ve got a couple things planned to ensure we always remember and honor it. We know it’s hard to say goodbye, but we can’t express how EXCITED we are about the new, innovative & amazing experience we’re going to be bringing you.
:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom