Would you live in Disney World?

Nemo14

Yes yes yes if it were even halfway affordable! There are so many places in the world I want to visit, but I HAVE to visit WDW or I go crazy and if I lived there I could get my Disney fix and visit those other places. We actually just visited Chicago for the first time today and it was neat and there was actually a parade with Mickey and the gang in it!! It was neat, then we got to talking about how it's been 5 months since we had been to WDW and that's just too long! :rolleyes: This time in two years I'll be living in Orlando hopefully :)

Sorry, if you live in Indiana, as it says in your profile, and had never even been to Chicago, you really need to get out more. There's a lot more to see than WDW.

rob0519

Golden Oak is an embarrassment to the legacy of the Disney brothers. The Disney World project was a reaction against such sprawl.

Please help me here. Exactly how was the Disney World Project a reaction against sprawl? The company didn't buy 47 square miles of land to not develop it. They've now built 4 parks, 2 water parks, and 33 or so hotels (including Swan, Dolphin and DTD Hotels). Disney also originated, though no longer owns Celebration which is much bigger than Golden Oak will ever be. So after all that, how is an additional 400 homes at maximum an embarrassment to the Disney legacy?

rt06

Not as a permanent residence. Here's why:

I detest Walmart.
No 24 hour bodegas.
No Thai food.
No Halal food.
Can't get a decent slice anywhere.
No nightlife.
No seasons.
No snow.
Too far from any beach.
Too far from any mountain.

lazyboy97o

Please help me here. Exactly how was the Disney World Project a reaction against sprawl? The company didn't buy 47 square miles of land to not develop it. They've now built 4 parks, 2 water parks, and 33 or so hotels (including Swan, Dolphin and DTD Hotels). Disney also originated, though no longer owns Celebration which is much bigger than Golden Oak will ever be. So after all that, how is an additional 400 homes at maximum an embarrassment to the Disney legacy?
The design of EPCOT was in opposition to the very sort of disconnected, automobile dependent housing development that is Golden Oak. Celebration at least was guided by New Urbanism and its emphasis on pedestrian oriented design.

epcotisbest

We looked at Golden Oak for a retirement home, but found it was priced about 40 to 60 percent higher than similar homes in Windermere. The real kicker, besides initial purchase price, was annual HOA and maintenance fees...just way out of the question for us.
It is though, a stunning property. Embarassment? Sprawl? No.

lazyboy97o

We looked at Golden Oak for a retirement home, but found it was priced about 40 to 60 percent higher than similar homes in Windermere. The real kicker, besides initial purchase price, was annual HOA and maintenance fees...just way out of the question for us.
It is though, a stunning property. Embarassment? Sprawl? No.
Being pretty is irrelevant to it being sprawl. It is silent use and car dependent, that is what makes it sprawl.

copcarguyp71

There is no way I could even remotely function on a daily basis in the Florida heat. Neighborhoods look nice but I need much more elbow room from my neighbors so it is a no for me.

TXDisney

In a heartbeat, just no jobs down there for me and my wife. She works at fidelity and I work for the govt. where they print money. My job only has plants in Washington, D.C. And ft worth Texas and hers really only in ft worth Texas and Rhode Island. All we need to do is win the lottery and buy a house nearby. :)

ImagineerDude

Sorry, if you live in Indiana, as it says in your profile, and had never even been to Chicago, you really need to get out more. There's a lot more to see than WDW.
...and I've been to LA, Denver, Detroit, South & North Carolina, Gatlinburg, Vegas, Virginia Beach, New York this March, and the list goes on...my grandma has lived here all her life and had never been to Chicago and she's been from New York to New Orleans to the Grand Canyon and Disneyland. Chicago is just not a popular place to visit for our area...

epcotisbest

Being pretty is irrelevant to it being sprawl. It is silent use and car dependent, that is what makes it sprawl.
As usual, your posts crack me up. Always good for a laugh. Being car dependent does not make something sprawl, there are many other components.
Using your analogy, I could pour some tomato sauce on my plate and call it pizza, but that does not make it pizza.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Nope. Don't need a home that big nor do I want to pay multimillions for one. Looked at the resale cost and none are under $2M. And how "custom" is a home that you chose from a select floor plan? My mom was in the real estate development business in South Florida. She would call the homes in Golden Oaks expensive tract homes, not custom. Custom to her meant YOU design the house, not a development company and all you get to do is (1) select from a couple of floor plans and (2) pick the finishings. Plus, can you imagine building a 5000 square foot house on a 1/4 acre lot? Must be zero lot line. I have a 2500 square foot home on a little over 3/4 of an acre and that is close enough to my neighbors for me. Imagine paying upwards of $2m for a 5000 square foot home on a 1/4 acre lot. Ridiculous. I would have expected lot sizes of at least 1 acre.....

lazyboy97o

As usual, your posts crack me up. Always good for a laugh. Being car dependent does not make something sprawl, there are many other components.
Using your analogy, I could pour some tomato sauce on my plate and call it pizza, but that does not make it pizza.
Except that single use and automobile dependence are primary characteristics of sprawl as well as traits that were to be pushed aside in EPCOT.

lazyboy97o

Again, housing is only one component of sprawl. Hope you have a pleasant day.
No, if there were other components then it would trending towards mixed use, the opposite of sprawl. Housing that is isolated from other uses is sprawl. Other uses are already isolated in the greater area, so it is only contributing to the larger sprawl.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom