World Showcase, what country would you add?

mickeykid79

new country in WS

I think the Brazilian Idea is great, maybe wedge it between Germany and China, with a Scale down version of the "Cristo" statue in Rio as a backdrop and Jose the parrot from 3 caballeros. as a mascot and ride like "soarin over calforina", Where you hang glide throught different sceneries.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I hate to disagree Luau but the most guaranteed way to wind up a person from any of the Celtic nations (Scotland Wales Ireland) is to class them as English/ Britain we are as different as Hyspanics and Afro americans. I may have a British passport but I will always be a Scot.
Roll out the bag pipes, and yes I do have a kilt.

howlin_mad

Greece would be neat because they could use the Greek mythology (Hercules anyone?) to make some really cool rides. The Switzerland - Austria region would bring in a Matternhorn-type ride to the park. Spain and New Zealand would be good choices. Russia would be interesting, but I've got no idea what they would put there or how the Russians would come up with funding for the project. Egypt would be good if they focused on the geography, history and mythology and stayed away from the current conflict with the Palestinians and Israelis. Basically the good parts of Africa are already represented in the Harambe section of Animal Kingdom. The region from India to Vietnam is also represented in the Asia section of Animal Kingdom. Australia would make an excellent choice for Epcot, but there are constant rumors to it being added to Animal Kingdom. Peru would be good if they focused on the ancient Inca empire. Brazil would be good, but I still shudder at the thought of those notorious Brazilian tour groups that contaminated the parks a couple of years ago. The last thing we need is a reason from them to visit the Orlando area again. Fianlly, they could build a giant jungle (aka rain forest) section in Animal Kingdom and use it to represent many countries on or near the equator (Indonesia, Zaire, Congo, Brazil, Panama, Costa Rica, etc.)

2much2do

Originally posted by happy snapper
I hate to disagree Luau but the most guaranteed way to wind up a person from any of the Celtic nations (Scotland Wales Ireland) is to class them as English/ Britain we are as different as Hyspanics and Afro americans. I may have a British passport but I will always be a Scot.

When I first read the Ireland/Scotland suggestion my finger hovered over the reply button so I could post something about those being a part of the UK. Then, (thankfully) I stopped! My DH is Scottish, and God Forbid if I ever, EVER classify his family as British, :lol:

PS I hadn't thought about Greece before. That would be awesome! So my vote now goes to:
Brazil, Spain or Greece!!!!!!!

bvolguards

I definitely think india or russia would be cool....ireland would be really cool..although i spent about two months in ireland and what makes it such a great country are its people..and that could be hard to duplicate

starsky

Well I'm from Northern Ireland and I'm not offended by being called British. What bugs me is when you watch British tv and the interviewer says something like "Do you have a message for everyone back in England?":brick: And the buildings don't have bits missing despite previous post.
Anyway back to subject - Scotland is already in UK and Ireland is too similar. As the country pays for their own pavillion, there's no way Scotland or Ireland could afford it.
I think it has to be, Egypt, Brazil or Australia. I think Oz will be represented at AK so perhaps unlikely.
If money is an issue we could see Korea or possibly Switzerland.

Maria

Originally posted by 2much2do

When I first read the Ireland/Scotland suggestion my finger hovered over the reply button so I could post something about those being a part of the UK. Then, (thankfully) I stopped!

lol! I thought of the same! It´s an "United Kingdom" with very specific countries inside of it! ;)

Maria

Originally posted by starsky
Anyway back to subject - Scotland is already in UK and Ireland is too similar. As the country pays for their own pavillion, there's no way Scotland or Ireland could afford it.

Agree. Just check the flags and the designs on the buildings of the pavillion. Each one is represented there. It is the "UK" pavillion, never the "Great Britain" pavillion!

;)

tinkrbel

ok ya'll feel free to attack me for this ..but in regards to not putting in Scotland or Ireland because its part of the UK ... aint Canada also?? and they have a Canada Palvilion? :veryconfu :veryconfu :veryconfu is this just me being a dumb texan?

Pumbas Nakasak

Visit Scotland and some companys funded a stand at the millenium celebrations so why wouldnt some one fund an on going thing especially as US citizens are one of the biggest visitor groups to the country. Just please avoid the stereotypes, golf whiskey and tartan, Perhaps the food stall could sell deep fried mars bars, deep fried pizza and Irn Bru.
You could always find a reason against any country because of "security isuse" Turkey & Greeece, Israel and perm any 1 from around 20. Lets look on the bright side..
The reason behind my suggestion was as a background for a ride based attraction as opposed to yet another Oh Canada tourist plug type thing So yes any country with myths legends or some ancient history would do. Im only plugging my country on the off chance theyll give me a job.:lol:

Nineinchnailsmk

we could expand on the afghanistan theme and make it like buzz lightyears space ranger spin....

it could be: "Whack a bin laden army ranger spin" and you could have bin ladens popping up everywhere and shoot em!!! WOO HOO!...lol anyway:lol: :hammer:

I think Russia or Austraila or Greece would be nice, even egypt, except they would need a cool ride to go with them.

Maria

Originally posted by tinkrbel
ok ya'll feel free to attack me for this ..but in regards to not putting in Scotland or Ireland because its part of the UK ... aint Canada also?? and they have a Canada Palvilion? :veryconfu :veryconfu :veryconfu is this just me being a dumb texan?

hehehe... this is an explanation from a canadian friend of mine...

Canada is a colony, but they have an independent government, they are not ruled by the UK, it is more of a tradition now. Scotland, England and Northern Ireland sit in the British House of Lords, that rules from London. Colonies don´t.

Hope that makes it clear. :animwink:

Pumbas Nakasak

Canada is just Scotland on a big scale without the football, tartan and deep fried food. Mind you it even has the Auld Alliance with the French. It also makes some fine libations of the alcoholic kind.

Point of order, Scotland now has its own Talking Shop, sorry parliament, in an atempt to stop demise of the Un united kingdom. Sorry wrong forum for politics:hammer:

tinkrbel

Originally posted by Maria

hehehe... this is an explanation from a canadian friend of mine...

Canada is a colony, but they have an independent government, they are not ruled by the UK, it is more of a tradition now. Scotland, England and Northern Ireland sit in the British House of Lords, that rules from London. Colonies don´t.

Hope that makes it clear. :animwink:

okkk reckon that makes sense :)

Disney Maniac

My vote goes to Russia. Here's why.

First, it would coincide nicely with Mission: Space. Seeing how the focus of Mission: Space is space exploration past, present, and future, and how a part of that is the International Space Station (ISS), Russia would fit in nicely, as it was once the United State's biggest rival in the space race but is now a partner (when they manage to pay...) with the ISS program.

Second, it is the largest country on the planet, covering two continents, 12 or so time zones, just as many ethnicities and cultures, and many varied climate zones. This would present the unique challenge of incorporating all of these faces into the final product as only Disney could do.

Third, it has always played a major role in modern history. How interesting would it be to be able to educate the next generations on the horrors of Stalin, the fear and fervor of Sputnik and the space race, of the headiness of the Cold War, and of the troubles it has seen in the last 15 years since the break up of the Soviet Union.

Finally (I have more reasons, but I'm only presenting a few), Russia would make a great addition because of what it offers as a culture. How many Russian or Soviet/Eastern Bloc hockey players are in the NHL? And let's not forget the wonderful culinary extravagencies: black bread, caviar, and vodka.

As far as the actual pavilion would go, I see Russian cottages, the spires and onion domes of the churches, and the façades of buildings like the Hermitage, the White Palace, and so forth gracing the exterior of this enchanting place. Exteriorly, it would focus on the more fairy tale side of Russia, the more enticing side. Then, inside the pavilion's buildings we could see a cosmonaut training center, or a gallery from the Hermitage or a room from the White Palace recreated, with classic Russian shops interspersed to add depth and flavor. The outfits of the CMs would only enhance the believability factor.

Ride-wise, I'd go with a dueling roller coaster that sends riders racing to win the space race, with both ending up at the ISS or the cosmonaut training building. The other ride that would be nice is a water ride similar to Maelstrom that focuses—at first—on the richness of the country's landscape and history and then is dramatically taken over by characters straight out of Russian fairy tales for the drenching (or nearly so) grand finale.

Anyway, that's my opinion, hope you like it!

JenLUVSmickey

IRELAND. I said that to someone the very last time I was at Disney.

I collect the shot glasses from all the countries and the one I really want is Ireland.

OH WELL!!!!!

mickey04

I think Egypt would be a cool country- with the focus on Ancient Egypt. It could have a giant pyramid, and a boat ride down the Nile and through pryamids (complete with the best Disney Audio-Animatronics) and finishing with a drop, of course. It could be the first real thrill ride in World Showcase. I get excited just thinking about it! :sohappy:

Luau Cove

Originally posted by happy snapper

You didn't read well, at all. First of all, the pavillion is United Kingdom, as I mentioned, so this pavillion includes Scotland, North Ireland and Wales, apart from England. I never compared anyone with anyone nor said they were not different. I said UNITED KINGDOM is is the World Showcase, so if Scotland, Wales or North Ireland are added they should be added to this pavillion and not as a separate one because it's not ENGLAND or GREAT BRITAIN.

-->Luau

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom