World of Motion

Cattman96

Original Poster
I here a lot of talk on this forum about missing the original JIYI,which was a great ride, but does anyone miss World of Motion as much as I do? I do like Test Track, and will ride it several times when I am at WDW, but I really miss all the AA in World of motion. Just a thought. Thanks

General Grizz

I miss the World of Motion as well. The show was pure art - and it inspired guests in a way that Test Track does not (I'm sorry to say). From the past to the future - with comedy! - World of Motion was a true Disney classic.

I could only hope that, one day, the Test Track post show can be converted into a unique Transcenter area for families. (This area was the most photographed in all of Epcot when World of Motion was in existence). It could also inspire guests to look to the future of motion. . . (remember what EPCOT stands for?)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Cattman - a lot of us miss World of Motion as much as JII, Horizons, et el. There is some argument that people like myself are stuck in the past, that progress is good. Yes it is, when progress is an advancement, not a step (or two) backwards.

Check out my tribute videos to the original EPCOT Center attractions here at WDWMagic.com - thats how passionate we can get about the old attractions!

Atta83

Count me in on who miss this attraction. I miss the smell of the oranges the most.....

But we always like to look at the futuristic cars that were on display i wonder if any of the ideas are actually in play now or in the future...

Cattman96

Original Poster
Yeah I miss the original JIYI as well as Horizons. But something about World of Motion to me where the ride took you outside before the attraction started, It was just a great experience for me. Thanks for the replies.

barnum42

Atta83 said:
Count me in on who miss this attraction. I miss the smell of the oranges the most.....
That was Horizons :wave:

I am also on the list of people who miss World of Motion. It was a good fun ride.

Number_6

I really do miss all those old attractions. Before 2003, it had been about 15 years since I had gotten to the parks so I had no idea how many things that I loved were changed or completely removed. It was quite depressing. I was over at Epcot on Saturday with the kids and of course they wanted to ride JIYIWF. It's so depressing seeing the low quality of the animatronics there in comparison to what used to be. At least the animatronics for SSE are still good quality.

OliveMcFly

For the longest time I thought it was Figment that went outside and up but, it was World of Motion. I miss it very much. What's cool about Test Track is that WOM's building is still intact. Unlike Horizons which is just a memory.

Expo_Seeker40

I, and I'm sure others out there [Reply if you feel this way! :lol: ]...feel blessed in a way that the world of motion pavilion is still there. I sometimes find comments online from "newbies" saying how cool the test track pavilion looks...yet some or even many of them have no idea what it once was.

The paths to the motion pavilion are still intact I believe, along with still the various foliage and lighting. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but is the current test track sign, placed on the circle where the former world of motion sign used to be?

I guess what I had hoped for...was that there would be no large covered tent. I wish they could have made it much more smaller, and have made an enclosed and temperature conctrolled queue with all the information about testing cars etc in there. Then could have saved the original world of motion indoor queue with the imfamous chrome and orange walls. :p

I do wonder if they ever could have kept the ramp that swung you up into the pavilion. I don't think the cars could have made that sharp turn up onto the second level....I also wished they could have kept the city of tomorrow model after the cars took the lap around the pavilion.

Oh well we still have the pavilion, the memories, the photos, videos, and experience of this great ride. Even the transcenter is still there, though I guess a shadow of its former self.

Unlike Horizons there was no great controversy. It took a while but GM and Disney finally agreed to make a new ride. My 1994 world of motion guidebook even mentions "a whole new world of motion experience" or something like that coming soon. Test track is a good ride. It is fun, and enjoyable, but still was it worthy enough to completely erase the original GM World of motion. :rolleyes:

wom-bldg.jpg

Jez

Atta83 said:
But we always like to look at the futuristic cars that were on display i wonder if any of the ideas are actually in play now or in the future...
I was watching an old home video of WOM, and one of the "futuristic cars" had a new fangled device that beeped at you when you were reversing, to warn that you were close to an object... so that's at least one thing that actually happened.

Kwit35

I truly miss this ride. I did Test Track once. Yes once. It was an okay 'ride', but WOM was an experience. The same think with Mission Space. It was a fun ride once, but there was nothing about it to really draw me there again. If I knew there was not a long line, I may try it again. but to me it is just a ride. That is the biggest difference between the old Epcot and the new. The old WOM, Horizons, and JII were all experiences whereas the new versions are just rides, IMO. I know that in the new JII you smell the skunk and in test track you are sprayed with 'acid' and you feel the heat and the cold. But the way they are incorporated into the rides now, they just seem like gimmicks. They way these techniques were used in the past, it enhanced the experience. I don't know, I just miss the old E.P.C.O.T..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom