World of Motion

Mickeyrulz

Original Poster
In my ongoing research of old WDW attractions, I read something about a ride at EPCOT called World of Motion. Well according to my map (from Apr 2004) it's not there anymore. So what replaced it? Did the building get completely destroyed and a new one built (like Horizons got destroyed totally for mission space) or are there still remnants of the World of Motion?

Thanks guys:wave:

peter11435

Mickeyrulz said:
In my ongoing research of old WDW attractions, I read something about a ride at EPCOT called World of Motion. Well according to my map (from Apr 2004) it's not there anymore. So what replaced it? Did the building get completely destroyed and a new one built (like Horizons got destroyed totally for mission space) or are there still remnants of the World of Motion?

Thanks guys:wave:
World of Motion was replaced by Test Track. Test Track is located in the same show building as World of Motion with only minor changes.
http://www.startedbyamouse.com/graphics/steve/wom-bldg.jpg]Photo

DizneeFanatic

World of Motion was one of the original attractions at Epcot. When its time was up, Disney and its sponsor, GE decided to build a new ride in its place. They decided on a ride depicting the testing cars go through before they go on the market. Thus Test Track was born. Opening in '98 or '99, Test Track used most of the exterior of the old building plus a paint job. Hope that helps.

maelstrom

World of Motion was in the spot where Test Track is now. It utilizes the same building. WoM had a gazillion and one audioanimatronics and it was just awesome. It was an omnimover ride through the history of transportation. The Transcenter has always been there and was where you exited WoM as well. I'm sure there's some websites around that talk about it, or maybe you can get your hands on an old souvenir or vacation planning video.

General Grizz

World of Motion.

Its wacky characters were designed by the late and GREAT Ward Kimball, who did animation for hundreds of Disney shorts and movies. I believe some of his best is from Dumbo.

And this was the Disney attraction of all time with more Animatronics than ANY OTHER. . . over 150, to be more precise.

This was one ride Walt Disney would have LOVED. . .

DarkMeasures

It was neat but I don't remember much from when I rode it back in 1995. I do know it was cool especially with the city at the end.

To note: Like Mission Space, Test Track was one of the original ideas done for Epcot. The idea of riding a car through a testing facility was one of the ideas for the World of Motion Pavilian. I guess the reason Test Track was not built instead of WoM was because of the technology involved. (it took forever to get that ride open, good thing I didn't go to WdW from 1995-2000).

But the pavilian was cool. I know also that Test Track shares the exact same loading station as WoM as well as the Test Track post show takes up the exact spot of the Transcenter.

Expo_Seeker40

The post show is the transcenter. Much of the carpeting, neon, and curtains were all retained when used for test track, it's almost like a short and sweet walk down memory lane. That virtual reality game is where the wind tunnel used to be, and an information booth is where the bird and robot show once was, let alone the same locations still used for concept and current model cars. "....that today and tomorrow will continue to be a world of motion".

Yeah it's kind of creepy to think that it's still the motion pavilion. Though I think the biggest change is with that giant and uncessary huge tent and murals. They could have made a much cheaper and smaller one closer to the ground to keep people covered. The world of motion platform was so long that they are able to use it to load and unload passengers, that's why it takes a little longer to get to the current post show/ transcenter.

"....it's fun to be free!"

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Have a look at the homepage for WDWMagic.com. Select World of Motion in `Epcot`, and if you are a premium member you can download my video tribute to it. It covers the exterior, the whole ride in great detail, and also Transcenter. Its also at Disney Central IRC.

PS - anyone who may be interested - better version of the tribute coming very soon!

DarkMeasures

Expo_Seeker40 said:
Yeah it's kind of creepy to think that it's still the motion pavilion. Though I think the biggest change is with that giant and uncessary huge tent and murals. They could have made a much cheaper and smaller one closer to the ground to keep people covered. The world of motion platform was so long that they are able to use it to load and unload passengers, that's why it takes a little longer to get to the current post show/ transcenter.

"....it's fun to be free!"

If that Tent was not their, I think Test Track would look pretty ugly. Look at the concept art. I mean, it would be a giant plain cylinder with a small part looking different. WoM had that large inlet in the side and Test Track is based on that in a way as heading out. There is though concept art where the bottom floor of the pavilian was gutted a little so that the top floor would be bigger than the ground floor.

vonpluto

For old times sake, World of Motion, a short recap:

•World of Motion ride 10/1/82 - 1/2/96
Song “Its Fun to Be Free” (A gazillion diferent versions)http://forums.wdwmagic.com/images/icons/icon10.gif
The Ride
Foot Power
Water Power
Animal Power
The Wheel
Explorers
Renaissance
Age of Flight - The Balloon
Steam Power
The Horseless Carriage - World’s First Traffic Jam
The Sky is the Limit
Automobles - 1939 Cadillac, 1947 Buick, 1955 Chevrolet Station Wagon, 1966 Pontiac
Speedroom #1 - Bobsled, Underwater, Swamp boat, Plane, River Rafting, Snowmobile
Speedroom #2 - Spirals
Speedroom #3 - Geometrics
Center Core - City of the Future

•Transcenter 10/1/82 - 1/2/96
The Bird & the Robot
The Water Engine
The Dreamers Workshop

Frank

Testtrack321

Interesting note, Test Track was supposed to open Summer 1997 but got so delayed with problems with getting cars going that the ride didn't open till early 1999.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom