World of Color and the California water crisis

prberk

Original Poster
OK, I am probably going to get slammed here big-time for this, but I cannot help but think of World of Color's huge use of water-sprays when I hear about the terrible droubt in California and the subsequent cries for conservation.

I love Disney magic (and a water movie screen is Disney magic) as much as anyone else, but I also understand the dire situation for water in California right now, and I can't help but think that Disney perhaps should consider no longer using the water-sprays (which prompt evaporation, like a mist would), as a means of conservation.

Recent news reports say that overall California is looking at a one-year supply of water left (and it had two years' worth last year), and is now entering its historically dry season. The mountain snowcaps that usually melt and supply the reservoirs and said to be historically low. The governor has essentially required or requested conservation on the level of 25% from the whole state.

I realize that it is a complex situation, with much to go around (political and otherwise). I realize that the 25% reduction has exempted certain industries, especially agriculture, which itself sparks a debate.

But I am not addressing anyone else here than Disney, which is in a state with a dire water situation, and is now using it in a very beautiful but wasteful way with the movie screen sprays (which increase evaporation significantly) and dancing waters overall.

So, as much as I love the technology and beauty of them, I wonder if Disney perhaps should turn them off for the sake of conservation.

I was at WDW in the late '90s, when there were huge wildfires throughout the state just as Independence Day was approaching. Wildfires in some areas had scorched land for miles, and had jumped Interstate 95. You could smell the smoke at WDW, even from fires miles away. The Floriday governor implemented a fireworks ban statewide for the Fourth of July, but WDW and Universal were exempted. Most news said was because they were commercial and watered down the fall zone, etc.

But as July 4th approached that week, I started feeling like it was wrong for WDW and Universal to do it, even if they could. And someone else must have thought so, too. By the 3rd, they both had decided to pull the plug on their Independence Day fireworks (even though they had just been having the normal shows), in deference to the rest of the state, and to make a stand for not encouraging use of fireworks at that dangerous time for them. EPCOT had the laser show without fireworks, and the MK Fantasy in the Sky was canceled for the holiday, and stayed canceled until the situation was better for the state.

That experience comes to mind in thinking about the dire drought in California with reference to World of Color (and even Fantasmic) at Disneyland. I just have to wonder whether they should just consider the need for conservation and take the lead by cutting the water show for now.

Last edited:

GiveMeTheMusic

OK, I am probably going to get slammed here big-time for this, but I cannot help but think of World of Color's huge use of water-sprays when I hear about the terrible droubt in California and the subsequent cries for conservation.

I love Disney magic (and a water movie screen is Disney magic) as much as anyone else, but I also understand the dire situation for water in California right now, and I can't help but think that Disney perhaps should consider no longer using the water-sprays (which prompt evaporation, like a mist would), as a means of conservation.

Recent news reports say that overall California is looking at a one-year supply of water left (and it had two years' worth last year), and is now entering its historically dry season. The mountain snowcaps that usually melt and supply the reservoirs and said to be historically low. The governor has essentially required or requested conservation on the level of 25% from the whole state.

I realize that it is a complex situation, with much to go around (political and otherwise). I realize that the 25% reduction has exempted certain industries, especially agriculture, which itself sparks a debate.

But I am not addressing anyone else here than Disney, which is in a state with a dire water situation, and is now using it in a very beautiful but wasteful way with the movie screen sprays (which increase evaporation significantly) and dancing waters overall.

So, as much as I love the technology and beauty of them, I wonder if Disney perhaps should turn them off for the sake of conservation.

I was at WDW in the late '90s, when there were huge wildfires throughout the state just as Independence Day was approaching. Wildfires in some areas had scorched land for miles, and had jumped Interstate 95. You could smell the smoke at WDW, even from fires miles away. The Floriday governor implemented a fireworks ban statewide for the Fourth of July, but WDW and Universal were exempted. Most news said was because they were commercial and watered down the fall zone, etc.

But as July 4th approached that week, I started feeling like it was wrong for WDW and Universal to do it, even if they could. And someone else must have thought so, too. By the 3rd, they both had decided to pull the plug on their Independence Day fireworks (even though they had just been having the normal shows), in deference to the rest of the state, and to make a stand for not encouraging use of fireworks at that dangerous time for them. EPCOT had the laser show without fireworks, and the MK Fantasy in the Sky was canceled for the holiday, and stayed canceled until the situation was better for the state.

That experience comes to mind in thinking about the dire drought in California with reference to World of Color (and even Fantasmic) at Disneyland. I just have to wonder whether they should just consider the need for conservation and take the lead by cutting the water show for now.

Considering that they are about to debut a new WOC show in a month, this is hugely unlikely. Stopping WOC and Fantasmic would not affect water usage in SoCal at all and would be nothing more than symbolic - and with the 60th happening, Disney isn't interested in symbolic gestures.

Nemo14

My husband and I had a long talk about all of this the other night, and I agree that in a state in such dire straits it seems ridiculously selfish to continue those type of water shows. We had planned a trip to CA for September but have cancelled largely because of the drought, and I'm sure that others have done so too.

prberk

Original Poster
Considering that they are about to debut a new WOC show in a month, this is hugely unlikely. Stopping WOC and Fantasmic would not affect water usage in SoCal at all and would be nothing more than symbolic - and with the 60th happening, Disney isn't interested in symbolic gestures.

I understand that it would not have a great effect on actual water amount overall, but it would have some. But symbolism is exactly what Disney trades in a lot. Whether it is genuine or not, they do operate in gestures of conservation and other "good deeds" a lot. What is Rafiki's Planet Watch if not that? Same for the "help us save the planet and re-use your hotel towel" notices in your hotel room. And a symbolic gesture, especially one that means a sacrifice, would probably go far for the company's PR.

Can you imagine the news coverage, and positive PR they would get -- and MAYBE actually encourage others (especially children telling parents that we should maybe not water our lawns as much, etc.)?

I am as skeptical as anyone else sometimes, but I just think that this is one thing that maybe this high-profile company might actually be able to do and begin to make a difference. But even if it doesn't spark anyone else to do it, it still is probably the right thing to do. And if everyone thinks his contribution doesn't matter enough, no water will ever be saved. (What is my one gallon of wasted water going to do to contribute to the problem? Not enough to matter -- until everyone does it.) But someone has to take the lead. Before it is too late.

Just my thoughts.

Californian Elitist

My husband and I had a long talk about all of this the other night, and I agree that in a state in such dire straits it seems ridiculously selfish to continue those type of water shows. We had planned a trip to CA for September but have cancelled largely because of the drought, and I'm sure that others have done so too.

How did the drought get in the way of your vacation plans, if I may ask?

prberk

Original Poster
We felt that we had no right using water that frankly could be put to better use.

That's amazing. I have promised a friend that I am coming to his graduation from Fuller Seminary in Los Angeles in June, and I still plan to come, and probably visit DL while I am there. But I have been thinking about the water situation. I remember coming out there about 20 years ago, and another friend telling me we had to flush only when necessary, etc. So, I have thought about the water situation again this year.

In Virginia we are blessed to be very green, and usually abundant in water; but on occasion in the summer, we have had droughts that have required some conservation (usually a request to cut back on watering lawns), but they have always made me think if we should be watering lawns at all when there is a drought -- you know, things like that. This one just seems bigger and more dire. And now you are making me think that even if I do go on my trip, that I should conserve water there. Because my very presence will add to usage. Hmmmm. Thanks for that thought.

GiveMeTheMusic

Every citizen of California could stop showering, peeing and sprinkling and it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference. As long as federally subsidized farms grow flooded crops like rice in CA, we will have problems. As long as Nestle is able to bottle untold millions of gallons of our water while paying a reduced water bill, we will have problems. Residential water use is less than 10% of the state's total.

The one year of water thing is also patently false - a clickbait headline that generated page views as it was intended to do.

No tourists impact water usage - to not visit CA because you're concerned about your imprint is, to be frank, silly. I'd encourage you to reconsider and come visit us.

Nemo14

Every citizen of California could stop showering, peeing and sprinkling and it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference. As long as federally subsidized farms grow flooded crops like rice in CA, we will have problems. As long as Nestle is able to bottle untold millions of gallons of our water while paying a reduced water bill, we will have problems. Residential water use is less than 10% of the state's total.

The one year of water thing is also patently false - a clickbait headline that generated page views as it was intended to do.

No tourists impact water usage - to not visit CA because you're concerned about your imprint is, to be frank, silly. I'd encourage you to reconsider and come visit us.

We will - just not this year.

kap91

I actually somewhat agree with this idea but on the other hand I'm not entirely sure how much water actually gets used in the show. It certainly seems wasteful - and if I remember back during the Florida droughts in the 90's all sorts of fountains and water features were turned off or drained around WDW - including I think the fountain of nations and the splashes of splash mountain. Maybe I'm misremembering it though.

The drought in California actually concerns me a lot as I'm planning on moving there in the near future for work. I'd rather not have to deal with apocalypse 6 months later.

Somehow I don't see Disney getting good PR from cutting the show(s). Saving water would be looked at as a PR reason only. It'd probably be characterized as "yet another move by out of touch executives who care only about the bottom line and have no idea what the average guest wants. When Walt was alive..." Or seen as a consequence of MM+ cost overruns lol.

Californian Elitist

Exactly.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

Doesn't ca divert millions of gallons to the ocean to affect salmon fisheries? I thought I read something about that.

Tom

Beta Return
I do not have any hard facts, but the WOC lagoon is a self-contained body of water that's treated and recycled. Yes, there's evaporation and loss from mist that becomes airborne, and they certainly refill the lagoon from municipal sources, but the water used in the show is pumped directly from the lagoon, and just gets re-used and re-used, like a swimming pool. Same for Fantasmic in the Rivers of America.

I think they would save more water by implementing a "If it's yellow, let it mellow" rule in the hotels than by turning off the (recirculated) water shows.

Nemo14

WOC doesn't USE water. It just sprays water that's already there. Net zero impact on the supply.

Also, California's water supply problems are caused by CALIFORNIA and their idiotic conservation programs. Save the delta smelt, but make the people live in filth. Smart.

I think Paul made it clear in his original post that the loss of water from these water features would be attributable to evaporation, and although possibly not significant, curtailing the use of water that way when the state is currently suffering from a lack of precipitation could bring some positive PR to Disney.

GiveMeTheMusic

The loss of revenue that Disney would sustain from suspending two very valuable night shows would in no way be made up for by a minute of positive PR. Disney doesn't need the goodwill - they will generate it on their own just by turning 60.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Maybe Disney could ask each guest to bring a bottle of water with themto poor into the water features. Then recycle the plastic into magic bands.

Or maybe the voters in Ca could take care of business and take control of your freeking state back from the special interest groups.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
While I think it is somewhat thoughtful to not visit and area to "use" water that could be used elsewhere. By not visiting that area is also taking away all the revenue to that area as well. If people stop visiting Disneyland or other affected areas that will make an economic impact as well perhaps impacting families that could use the money. People in those service jobs don't all make huge salaries and depend on tourist for their survival. Anyway, just something else to think about too.

By the way, a side rant...I hate it when hotels promote their save your towel program, and then ignore it when I hang my towels to reuse (because I don't need a new bath towel everyday) and replace my towel with clean ones. Okay, done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom