News World Drive Magic Kingdom Intersection Re-Design

WDWBryan

Seems kind of silly that the permit shows them building a new road to east vista and still leaving the old one there. Why not just fix that one up.

P_Radden

The alignment of the new one is interesting in that it lines up perfectly with STOL port.

I know they use the STOL strip for construction vehicle parking and staging. Perhaps this new route is intended to eventually allow easier access to the STOL strip for construction traffic to exit Word Drive at a earlier (more southern) point than the current STOL entrance off of World Drive. This would help minimize some of the commercial/construction traffic traveling north past the tolls.

Last edited:

JohnD

They really could do a nice, grand TTC where it is right now. They don't need the ticket booths. I don't see the point in moving the buses and taxis to the South of the parking lot or over to STOL.

I know it's not a priority but the TTC is pretty utilitarian. I remember thinking that when I was a kid going there and how much like a regular bus stop it was.

I still think an improvement could be made by just crossing the outer monorail track with the Epcot track after the TTC so you get one continuous theme park loop. If you're leaving the MK you get on it, head to the TTC, get off if you need to get to your car, or stay on to continue your trip to Epcot instead of that weird down, around, and back loop you have to take to get to the Epcot loop.

Something like this (one goes over the other):
View attachment 141437

That would be the Express loop, I assume. Except, instead of TTC-MK-TTC, it would be TTC-MK-TTC-Epcot-TTC. They would need more trains for that. You would need a track that goes over the resort loop because the portion around Seven Seas Lagoon is counterclockwise while the portion from the TTC to Epcot and back is clockwise.

I guess the resort loop would still be limited to just around Seven Seas Lagoon.

Brad Bishop

That would be the Express loop, I assume. Except, instead of TTC-MK-TTC, it would be TTC-MK-TTC-Epcot-TTC. They would need more trains for that. I guess the resort loop would still be limited to just around Seven Seas Lagoon.

Yes. My thought is that if you're heading to Epcot you just get on the express loop and go. No switching of trains. It just makes it easier. If you're heading to the TTC the you could take either the resort (no change) or express.

JohnD

Yes. My thought is that if you're heading to Epcot you just get on the express loop and go. No switching of trains. It just makes it easier. If you're heading to the TTC the you could take either the resort (no change) or express.

I edited my post while you typed.

GrumpyFan

Just curious about these and the other roadway improvements on property, where does the budget for these come from? Is this out of the Parks & Resorts expansion plans (including Disney Springs), or does RCID bear the burden for these since they technically own and are responsible for the roads?

maxairmike

Disney actually "owns" the roads from just before they widen for the toll plazas, at all the parks, so I would, at first thought, expect that it is Disney footing the bill directly for this project. However, on second thought, I would not be surprised if RCID is the direct financing option with Disney paying, of course, through their taxes to the District.

roj2323

Wow...that IS detailed...

Just looked through the first few pages, then scrolled through the rest. Interesting about all of the 'behind-the-scenes' work that goes into something like building a road.

Thanks for sharing all of these details.
Yea no kidding. It took me a while to read through it last night. I actually PM'd danlb_2000 about the permit last night.

here's a larger version of the drawing:
26339826993_97e110bd60_o.jpg

clemmo

So no changes to the toll booths themselves? Also great to see world drive going southbound too now. Anyone know the budget/timeline on this?

maxairmike

One other thing. Reading through the specs for the ramps, it sounds like they're expecting to route all bus/oversized vehicle traffic down the new SB World Drive, with fill heights up to 30ft. for the ramps over Vista's connection vs. 15ft. over the exit road (if I read it right, of course). That makes me wonder what they'll do with the current Seven Seas Dr./Floridian Way intersection, since buses from both GF and Poly will want to head east on Seven Seas Drive to reach the new SB World Drive lanes, and without a light at that intersection you're looking at decent possible delays in transit flow. I imagine that intersection will be getting a new light if what I'm looking at is right (routing buses especially to the new SB overpass).

mm121

They will. Say bye bye to the 1971 plaza.
it does look kinda tacky now
New ones themed like the castle right? haha
could look super cool if done right, ,b
The alignment of the new one is interesting in that it lines up perfectly with STOL port.
doesnt appear that the exit would be designed with a traffic signal for traffic to go straight accross, the way its currently designed its directing exit traffic to turn right only
Just curious about these and the other roadway improvements on property, where does the budget for these come from? Is this out of the Parks & Resorts expansion plans (including Disney Springs), or does RCID bear the burden for these since they technically own and are responsible for the roads?
id guess rcid, but someone said that disney owns the roads beyond the toll plazas, ,but technically while location wise they look to be behind the toll plaza the traffic leading to these roads didnt go thru a plaza

so that points the the rcid paying, and would hopefully mean faster construction

which begs the question, why were some of these projects not done years ago if they arent coming out of the parks and resorts budget
So no changes to the toll booths themselves? Also great to see world drive going southbound too now. Anyone know the budget/timeline on this?

hopefully a retheme but that would be about it

GrumpyFan

id guess rcid, but someone said that disney owns the roads beyond the toll plazas, ,but technically while location wise they look to be behind the toll plaza the traffic leading to these roads didnt go thru a plaza

so that points the the rcid paying, and would hopefully mean faster construction

which begs the question, why were some of these projects not done years ago if they arent coming out of the parks and resorts budget

Two primary reasons I could guess, 1) Necessity, 2) Budget.
RCID still operates under a budget, and has to prioritize projects based on their needs, impact and cost.

If I had to guess though, I would venture to say that some of these new projects are probably being partly funded by the Parks & Resorts' expansion plans and budgets.

halltd

...That makes me wonder what they'll do with the current Seven Seas Dr./Floridian Way intersection, since buses from both GF and Poly will want to head east on Seven Seas Drive to reach the new SB World Drive lanes, and without a light at that intersection you're looking at decent possible delays in transit flow. I imagine that intersection will be getting a new light if what I'm looking at is right (routing buses especially to the new SB overpass).

I'm not sure why buses from Poly or Grand would change direction from what they're doing now. The intersection you're referring to is designed to keep traffic moving from both the GF and Poly, so this would be the most efficient way for them to go.

They will. Say bye bye to the 1971 plaza.

What do you know that you're not telling us? To me, it looks like this interchange was designed with the main goal of KEEPING the toll plaza in place. It seems to be the only thing that DOESN'T move. And, if they're "moving up" as someone mentioned, where would they move to after this interchange is done? That doesn't make any sense...unless you're talking about just replacing the current toll plaza with a new one because its old. That's a different story.

articos

When the TTC is finally rebuilt, it will need to stay in the same plot where it currently is due to the alignment of the monorail beams.

If any of the public or private rail/maglev transportation options come on to Disney property, those would terminate at a newly built facility.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom