News World Drive Magic Kingdom Intersection Re-Design

yensid67

I haven't read ALL the posts, but I have a silly question...In the OP pic there is a road BEFORE the plaza that goes right to Vista Rd...why not revamp that road and use that in place of building a flyover bridge?

WDWBryan

Is there a traffic light at that new intersection or just a stop sign? Just curious. Will buses use that road as well or do they have a dedicated route all their own?
One would think they would put up a light.

They put up a light at the other intersection years ago that now won’t be needed.

I’m not sure why they stopped using the old road to fort wilderness to begin. This is basically how things used to be but temporary.

EpcotCenter82

I'm sure there was a reason for it at some point, but it's such an avoidable situation that I'm surprised it lasted so long. I'll miss it but my wife will probably be relieved that I can't say "isn't this so weird that we have to drive through the gate to get home?" every single time we return from MK :p

In the early days of WDW, there were just three resorts - Contemporary, Poly, Fort Wilderness. I stayed several times in the early 1970's at the Contemporary with my grandparents. When you entered the toll plaza, they checked to be sure you had a resort reservation. By the time you reached the Contemporary security booth, they would greet you by name and the state you lived in. It was a very nice touch. I guess as they expanded the Poly, added the Grand Flo, and added the Golf Resort, the guest greeting used too much time for the additional guests coming through the toll plaza.

yensid67

Better traffic flow. It's all designed to eliminate intersections and left turns.[/QUOTE said:
There still would be an intersection with Vista Blvd(right-Left turning) Why would they need to build a flyover bridge rom COMING OUT of MK lot area!? Unless its for convenience of those wishing to go towards Fort Wilderness!? Oh well no sense in trying to figure this out! Just wondering...I'll see it when we get there in May!

peter11435

There still would be an intersection with Vista Blvd(right-Left turning) Why would they need to build a flyover bridge rom COMING OUT of MK lot area!? Unless its for convenience of those wishing to go towards Fort Wilderness!? Oh well no sense in trying to figure this out! Just wondering...I'll see it when we get there in May!

When the project is completed there will not be a left turn at vista drive. It will just be the ramp merging on to vista drive east bound. The flyover bridge allows for world drive north bound traffic to access the MK resorts without going through the auto plaza or having to make a left turn on vista drive. It also provides access to south bound world drive without having to use seven seas drive and allows west bound vista drive traffic to access south bound world drive as well.

yensid67

When the project is completed there will not be a left turn at vista drive. It will just be the ramp merging on to vista drive east bound. The flyover bridge allows for world drive north bound traffic to access the MK resorts without going through the auto plaza or having to make a left turn on vista drive. It also provides access to south bound world drive without having to use seven seas drive and allows west bound vista drive traffic to access south bound world drive as well.
Thanks for clearing that up! :)

Rider

The lot traffic will be mostly unchanged except that traffic into the resorts won't clog the toll booths and most traffic out of the resorts won't merge with the lot exit until further south on World Dr.

Monorail_Red_77

One would think they would put up a light.

They put up a light at the other intersection years ago that now won’t be needed.

I’m not sure why they stopped using the old road to fort wilderness to begin. This is basically how things used to be but temporary.

I think the reason they stopped using the old road to the right was due to higher traffic volume now as compared to the 70's and 80's. Also the old road connects to Vista on a curve. Which I believe would be prone to accidents more so than the straight area it is connecting to now when factoring in higher traffic, tourist drivers, etc.

OliveMcFly

Driving through the Magic Kingdom awning onto World Dr. was such a bizarre design quirk. Living in Winter Garden, I've gone through the gate more times than I can count, and I always give it a few seconds of thought. I'm sure there was a reason for it at some point, but it's such an avoidable situation that I'm surprised it lasted so long. I'll miss it but my wife will probably be relieved that I can't say "isn't this so weird that we have to drive through the gate to get home?" every single time we return from MK :p
Same here! I lived on the corner of Reams and 535 so this was a short cut for me to get home too. I often thought how cool it was that this was the way home.

GlacierGlacier

New arches in place to support the overpass.
IMG_2911.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom