Working out near Art of Animation resort (running, cycling, sauna?)

carlsons92

Original Poster
So, my family is heading down to Disney World soon and I have a few half marathons/cycling events coming up for which I'm preparing-how can I get in training and keep my fitness up? No, I'm not even remotely interested in sacrificing family time or memories we'll have at the theme parks, but since that's all taking place during the day(s) and I'll have time in the mornings before people awaken as well as evenings as everyone's winding down, what would be good ideas for training runs I could do during those times of day?

People have been saying to just forget it and enjoy the trip, but that’s the thing-our days are already planned out and I know we’ll enjoy it, however I also know I’ll have time in the mornings before people awaken/before we depart our resort for a park as well as in the evenings when we get back as everyone's winding down (I’m not saying I’ll work out both times, I just wanted to show that I’ll have some time to myself each day if I want it). The place at which I'm staying (Art of Animation) has no workout room or an on-site fitness center but does have a lake (Hourglass Lake) you can run around, however I also know how unpredictable the rain can be and would love a backup plan.

If nothing else, anyone know of any gyms that might be within walking/running distance? I suppose I could Uber but I also don't want that additional expense to add up. If there’s a gym close by, I'm prepared to purchase a membership or guest pass.

Again, this is my vacation too, and the opportunity to run in a place I’ve never been is exciting-I love to run & ride, so it’s not like I’d be bringing extra work or stress with me, I’m just curious what my option(s) would be to be able to do these things I love at home in a part of the country I haven’t been to since I was a child.

Thank you!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
So, my family is heading down to Disney World soon and I have a few half marathons/cycling events coming up for which I'm preparing-how can I get in training and keep my fitness up? No, I'm not even remotely interested in sacrificing family time or memories we'll have at the theme parks, but since that's all taking place during the day(s) and I'll have time in the mornings before people awaken as well as evenings as everyone's winding down, what would be good ideas for training runs I could do during those times of day?

People have been saying to just forget it and enjoy the trip, but that’s the thing-our days are already planned out and I know we’ll enjoy it, however I also know I’ll have time in the mornings before people awaken/before we depart our resort for a park as well as in the evenings when we get back as everyone's winding down (I’m not saying I’ll work out both times, I just wanted to show that I’ll have some time to myself each day if I want it). The place at which I'm staying (Art of Animation) has no workout room or an on-site fitness center but does have a lake (Hourglass Lake) you can run around, however I also know how unpredictable the rain can be and would love a backup plan.

If nothing else, anyone know of any gyms that might be within walking/running distance? I suppose I could Uber but I also don't want that additional expense to add up. If there’s a gym close by, I'm prepared to purchase a membership or guest pass.

Again, this is my vacation too, and the opportunity to run in a place I’ve never been is exciting-I love to run & ride, so it’s not like I’d be bringing extra work or stress with me, I’m just curious what my option(s) would be to be able to do these things I love at home in a part of the country I haven’t been to since I was a child.

Thank you!

Other than the fitness centers at DVC resorts and Coronado Springs, I can't think of any on property that you could run or walk to. There's an Anytime Fitness on Village Lake Road in Windermere (area behind Magic Kingdom). Don't know if they would do a day pass. You'd definitely have to Uber to the location, but you'd get a great view of the backstage areas of MK, including the monorail barn, on the way.

Good luck!

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Also, as someone that travels with a marathon runner I just wanted to add,... Don't let anyone make you feel guilty about working out during your vacation. If you don't you'll likely indulge too much too and it can take a few weeks to get your fitness level back to where you need it to be in your training plan. You do you, guilt free.

At the very least, resistance bands weigh nothing and take up no space in luggage so that might be an option to add to a body weight routine while you're in Florida. I know a lot of body builders that made due with that during the beginning of the pandemic so I'm sure there's some good tough workouts on YouTube. There's tons and tons of green space at AoA you could use for that.

castlecake2.0

Thank you!
There’s lots of great running options at Walt Disney World as linked above. Closest gym would probably be at Celebration Health. You would have to Uber but it’s working ten minutes of Pop Century.

I also heard that the Swan and Dolphin offer a day pass to their gym facilities, you could use the Skyliner to get there from Pop.

Also speaking of Celebration, there’s lots of great running routes through the town and also bike rentals, so that could be an option too.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Also, as someone that travels with a marathon runner I just wanted to add,... Don't let anyone make you feel guilty about working out during your vacation. If you don't you'll likely indulge too much too and it can take a few weeks to get your fitness level back to where you need it to be in your training plan. You do you, guilt free.

At the very least, resistance bands weigh nothing and take up no space in luggage so that might be an option to add to a body weight routine while you're in Florida. I know a lot of body builders that made due with that during the beginning of the pandemic so I'm sure there's some good tough workouts on YouTube. There's tons and tons of green space at AoA you could use for that.

I sometimes travel with my resistance bands.

LAKid53

Premium Member
There’s lots of great running options at Walt Disney World as linked above. Closest gym would probably be at Celebration Health. You would have to Uber but it’s working ten minutes of Pop Century.

I also heard that the Swan and Dolphin offer a day pass to their gym facilities, you could use the Skyliner to get there from Pop.

Also speaking of Celebration, there’s lots of great running routes through the town and also bike rentals, so that could be an option too.

Good to read that about Swan and Dolphin. It would be nice if the fitness center at Coronado Springs would do the same for guests not stay at that resort. I know as a DVC member, I've been able to get access to the fitness center at a DVC resort if I'm staying elsewhere. But this was pre-COVID.

Lilofan

I’ve stayed at Coronado. If one runs around the big lake a number of times that’s probably a few miles right there. Early morning is best. Once it hits 90 plus degrees in morning it’s a challenge.

castlecake2.0

Good to read that about Swan and Dolphin. It would be nice if the fitness center at Coronado Springs would do the same for guests not stay at that resort. I know as a DVC member, I've been able to get access to the fitness center at a DVC resort if I'm staying elsewhere. But this was pre-COVID.
They used to offer day passes at the Disney resorts but that was discontinued for whatever reason, maybe want to keep it exclusive to guests staying there.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I wouldn't be concerned about a light drizzle, either. Have run a few races at WDW in the rain. As long as there's no lightening in the area, a little bit of sky moisture can be a good thing. Just bring an extra pair of running shoes, if you have room, in case they get wet.

Lilofan

I wouldn't be concerned about a light drizzle, either. Have run a few races at WDW in the rain. As long as there's no lightening in the area, a little bit of sky moisture can be a good thing. Just bring an extra pair of running shoes, if you have room, in case they get wet.
I still can’t believe that a half marathon race a few years ago was cancelled I think the day before at WDW due to predicted rain and lightning. Thousands already were staying the resorts. The morning of the cancelled race some runners still ran around property on their own because the predicated forecast was not accurate.

LAKid53

Premium Member
They used to offer day passes at the Disney resorts but that was discontinued for whatever reason, maybe want to keep it exclusive to guests staying there.

Could be. Some of the fitness centers like the ones at GF and OKW are small. OKW is like a closet, it's so small.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I still can’t believe that a half marathon race a few years ago was cancelled I think the day before at WDW due to predicted rain and lightning. Thousands already were staying the resorts. The morning of the cancelled race some runners still ran around property on their own because the predicated forecast was not accurate.

The race was cancelled because the storm blew through when runners would be out in the corrals. That storm came through the part of Florida I live in and it was a bad one. Runners ran around property after the storm cleared through the area.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Best one I think is Saratoga fitness center

That I agree on. The next best is at Boulder Ridge. Although the photos of the one at Coronado Springs show a nice fitness center.

SSR has the most room and variety of equipment. And there's the spa next door.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom