Wookies, & Rebels, & Droids... OH WHY?! The Anti-SWL in Disneyland Thread

flynnibus

Premium Member
Maybe look at it this way; why would Disney NOT bring them back? The river is being re-done, TSI will re-open, the Mark Twain and Columbia will be sailing, the train will be going by, and the canoe dock is still there. Why not bring the canoes out of storage and let the guest paddle as before? It isn't like Disney has to build something new and it's one more thing to absorb crowds when it gets even more crowded when SWL opens.

Low capacity...
High Labor...
Liability...

It's just not the type of attraction the 'modern' Disney takes a risk on and probably would look pretty sweet to just eliminate.

BrianLo

The Speedways in both Tokyo and Hong Kong are slated for closure so it won't surprise me when the day comes that it closes in DL and/or Magic Kingdom.

Precisely, this is what I was alluding to.

Not that shocking that Tokyo's went away and SDL failed to open with Autotopia. Hong Kong's is the newest and nicest autotopia by a mile, the fact that was so easily disposed was actually a shock.

This year Autotopia went from being in 100% of castle parks to plans for it to be in only 50% of them. Not tomorrow, not the end of the decade... but eventually when Disneyland turns to their tomorrowland it will be second up on the chopping block. Next to innoventions.

mickEblu

Precisely, this is what I was alluding to.

Not that shocking that Tokyo's went away and SDL failed to open with Autotopia. Hong Kong's is the newest and nicest autotopia by a mile, the fact that was so easily disposed was actually a shock.

This year Autotopia went from being in 100% of castle parks to plans for it to be in only 50% of them. Not tomorrow, not the end of the decade... but eventually when Disneyland turns to their tomorrowland it will be second up on the chopping block. Next to innoventions.

Then that means the Subs are third right? Ive read that because of the way they are situated, the Subs and Autopia are kind of a package deal. Aesthetically, the lagoon would be missed (it really needs to stay even if the subs go) As far what the Disneyland experience is for me and how the lagoon compliments the Matterhorn, that would be a bigger loss than Autopia. Autopia is kind of tucked back in the corner and wouldn't be missed visually.

Autopia just takes up way too much real estate for the space it occupies without adding atmosphere in the way Storybookland and the ROA do. I get that some folks have emotional ties to it and that it's s Disneyland original. I probably would miss the fact that it exists eventhough I rarely ride it.

SSG

Then that means the Subs are third right? Ive read that because of the way they are situated, the Subs and Autopia are kind of a package deal. Aesthetically, the lagoon would be missed (it really needs to stay even if the subs go) As far what the Disneyland experience is for me and how the lagoon compliments the Matterhorn, that would be a bigger loss than Autopia. Autopia is kind of tucked back in the corner and wouldn't be missed visually.

Autopia just takes up way too much real estate for the space it occupies without adding atmosphere in the way Storybookland and the ROA do. I get that some folks have emotional ties to it and that it's s Disneyland original. I probably would miss the fact that it exists eventhough I rarely ride it.

I'd say you're right.
TLSubsAutopia2 (1).png

BrianLo

I'd be upset only for the subs, but there is no denying they occupy space in between (and under) two attractions that eventually will be carved up for something more visually interesting. They've been on the chopping block too many times to count.

Guest flow in that area leading up to the tomorrowland station is atrocious too.

All I'll say is if Disney has a change of heart and a Fantasyland expansion starts to carve up Autotopia and the subs instead of toontown and the expansion pad it wouldn't be altogether shocking. I'd maybe even say it would be better as there'd be an outside chance they'd throw tomorrowland a bone and replace innoventions.

Very similar to what Tokyo is doing except Frozen instead of B&TB. Even having that indoor theatre would free up the Wonderbra to eventually go along with Toontown. For a new land altogether or more.... you know what.

As I said, the international parks are always a good canary in the coal mine for current thought amongst WDI.

D

Deleted member 107043

Guest flow in that area leading up to the tomorrowland station is atrocious too.

Improving traffic flow could arguably be the biggest reason to reimagine that corner of the park. Not only could they remove the bottleneck between TL and FL but they could also give the Matterhorn a properly themed queue.

mickEblu

Improving traffic flow could arguably be the biggest reason to reimagine that corner of the park. Not only could they remove the bottleneck between TL and FL but they could also give the Matterhorn a properly themed queue.

This and getting that Astor orbiter out of the hub and somehow someway bringing some kinetic energy back to the land.

D

Deleted member 107043

Would love if they found a way to keep the lagoon. Can't they just build on top of the shared acreage?

Why not just build a new and better one? Look what they're doing with the ROA right now and think how impressive the eastern corner of TL could be given the proper resources.

mickEblu

Why not just build a new and better one? Look what they're doing with the ROA right now and think how impressive the eastern corner of TL could be given the proper resources.

I wouldnt be opposed to that. I guess I just want some sort of body of water next to the Matterhorn (as long as it's the blue water and not the murkey green).

flynnibus

Premium Member
Fair points, but why not bring them back at least in the short term when Disney will be looking for anything to shift a few bodies from SWL?

Because if they want to pull the plug... they'd just do it. They have DCA next door for pulling crowds away. I wouldn't be suprised if the only reason they are kept are some old timers defending them. I'm happy they still exist as part of DL's history.. but they certainly stand out as an odd ball to their standard practices now...

Nland316

As of now the only thing I find salvageable in TL is Space Mountain. Even if that were to be switched out for a stronger ride, I honestly wouldn't be opposed to it.
And yes, I'd love if some type of body of water were to remain in place in one form or another.

Nicely put, and I love this thread's title! I'm not anti-Star Wars in DL (or anti-toon), but I do agree with many of your points. I would love to see more original attractions like Mystic Manor and Sinbad's Storybook Voyage appear in the U.S. parks. And given a choice between Star Wars Land and Discovery Bay (the Jules Vernian addition to the Rivers of America once planned for DL), I'd pick Discovery Bay in a blink.

But I also think Cars Land is one of the greatest Imagineering creations I've ever seen--so full of life, humor and energy. I don't mind single-I.P. lands as long as their world is large enough to tell many stories. All I ask is that it be well done.

I would never have put Star Wars Land where it's going. But, given that it's going there... I'm optimistic based on the concept art of how it will give the River new waterfalls and add a lot of interest to the railroad route. If it doesn't live up to the concept art, I'll be very disappointed.

I'm glad you created this thread, and I'm also curious to hear some thoughts about what others would have done in Bob Iger's position. What land would you build in Disneyland that you think would be as popular as Star Wars Land? Or at least as much fun? What new non-I.P. environment would be a draw for folks planning their vacation?

Disneyland is undergoing a huge change. For an old-timer like me, the park stopped being "my" version of classic DL when Big Thunder ousted Nature's Wonderland... and then again when Fantasmic took over the Rivers of America every summer night. I enjoy the new and miss the old at the same time. So I'm watching this new change knowing that again, we're going to lose something and gain something. Is it worth it? Everyone will have their own opinion on that one. Personally, I don't think it could possibly be worse than the trashing of Tomorrowland that has yet to be remedied. At least we'll get an impressive E ticket ride out of this one.
I agree with l that you said. I was highly doubtful of carsland because I thought it would be a flop. I don't know anyone who says Cars is their favorite Pixar movie. Of course, what I got was something great. It's beatifully theme, and has one of the best rides in DCA. I remember it was so popular when it first opened that even the fastpass line was about an hour wait, and those suckers would be gone in a blink of the eye. I'll try to remain optimistic about Star Wars land. Hopefully it plays out well, and although it seems bad now, we really can't judge it until it's officially open and we have a try at it ourself in person. My only question and worry is, what are they going to do with Star Tours? Wouldn't it be odd to have a Star Wars attraction out of Star Wars Land? Hopefully they figure that out.

D

Deleted member 107043

My only question and worry is, what are they going to do with Star Tours?

Someone (I don't remember who) claimed that it will go to Yesterland when SW Land opens. Seems like a reasonable assumption considering that the Star Tours attraction in Florida doesn't show up in the SW Land plans there either.

Someone (I don't remember who) claimed that it will go to Yesterland when SW Land opens. Seems like a reasonable assumption considering that the Star Tours attraction in Florida doesn't show up in the SW Land plans there either.
Oh jeez... ST and SM were the only things worthwhile in TL. If that's the case, then is the point of TL even existing other than SM? TL just keeps getting worse, and another futuristic themed land definitely will NOT help. I heard about earlier plans of a complete TL refurb where it would pretty much be star wars. I think that miiight have been a little better than a new full land, even if they had to replace SP for hyperspace.

D

Deleted member 107043

Oh jeez... ST and SM were the only things worthwhile in TL. If that's the case, then *** is the point of TL even existing other than SM? TL just keeps getting worse, and another futuristic themed land definitely will NOT help. I heard about earlier plans of a complete TL refurb where it would pretty much be star wars. I think that miiight have been a little better than a new full land, even if they had to replace SP for hyperspace.

The assumption is that ST will become an Iron Man attraction (or some other branded flight simulation). TL is way past its prime so a full refurb is anticipated once the dust settles on the other side of the park. We'll see.

^^ Maybe those Star Tours simulators are moving to DCA for an Iron Man attraction- and Tomorrowland can finally be re-Imagined.
god, I hope so. TL REALLY needs it, for the sake of Disney and the sake of SM. As I said, at this point, the only reason people bother with TL is because of SM, and the land is just a nuisance tbh. Hopefully sometime down the line they renovate it for real. The idea of a land of tommorow is tricky, and never lasts which is why TL is always in the hole. Even if a complete make over IS to be done, chances are it will be outdate within the next decade, so it's useless unless they find a real solution. Even the "it's supposed to be a Retro Tomorrow" will grow quite old pretty fast. It makes me fear for the future of DLR and even SM.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom