Wizarding World of Harry Potter review (spoiler safe, and non-spoiler safe sections)

Orange Bird

If the Disney of today were run with the spirit of Walt's era or with the dedication to quality exhibited in the 1980s/early 90s, then I would agree that Disney could make a better Harry Potter attraction, but nothing Disney has done recently inspires that kind of confidence. Disney has never done anything to top Spiderman, and current Disney management has proved that they don't even have the guts to try. FJ will reign as the best theme park attraction in the world for years to come.

Disney is not getting better, it's getting worse. If you want that to change, I suggest you stop apologizing for their short comings and demand (as a consumer) that Disney hold itself up to its own standards. The gap is closing. Disney is no longer head-and-shoulders above of its competition.

Orange Bird

disdeathstar.jpg

Are you saying that Disney is the evil empire?

MoonMouse1

Went on Forbidden Journey last Thursday during the morning previews and I will say that this is an amazing ride...I looked over at the other ride vehicles in motion and the whole KUKA arm thing really is a great technological advancement. The ride seemed very fluid and smooth even though you are twisting and turning frequently.

With that said, I was a little disappointed overall. I wasn't a huge fan of the screen-to-set thing. In my mind I was picturing all of these elaborate sets of Hogwarts, etc. and they just weren't there. The dropping spiders were not scary to me (and I seriously hate spiders) and the dementors didn't do it for me either. I did like the fact that everything is right up in your face...but maybe that contributes to the not-as-scary factor (everything is so close it just doesn't look AS real).

Don't get me wrong...I had a huge smile on my face during the entire ride and I think it is a great addition to Islands of Adventure. And I only rode it once because they closed the line before we could ride it again so maybe I didn't get the whole scope of the thing. I think I just built up this huge expectation in my head and therefore was slightly (and let me emphasize slightly) let down. I just remember the first time I rode Spider Man and I remember thinking "WOW...that was just amazing!" and I didn't really get that same feeling after riding Forbidden Journey. But I don't think anyone can argue that this ride is awesome. :)

The queue is an attraction in itself and is very well done...it is incredibly detailed and in my opinion the best line I have ever waited in. You almost want the line to go slow so you can take everything in.

The shops were also amazing and I love the fact that there is nothing that says Universal or anything theme-park-y in the whole land. Everything is authentic to Harry Potter...I wish Disney would have more land-specific merchandise like this...it transports you to another world. I especially liked Honeydukes...absolutely adorable! The Peppermint Toads were really good...they taste like Andes mints. :) One word of advice...we bought a chocolate wand and after being out in the sun for a few hours it melted a little and broke in half. We had to buy it early due to the previews but I would advise buying anything chocolate-related towards the end of the day once the land opens full time.

Overall...this land is amazing and really makes you feel like you are in Harry Potter's world. I think this is definitely Universal's best work.

primusjim

Rode FJ twice today, so I figured I will briefly post some thoughts. The ride was pretty good, but I still consider Spider-Man as Universal's best with a handful of Disney rides above that. Taken with Hogsmead, the queue and the ride, I would say it's now Universal's overall most immersive attraction experience. It's been Men in Black for me for a long time because the story works great from when you enter the building to unload. Spidey's queue, ride vehicle explanation and some villain choices and/or executions have always seemed horrible to me.
The Potter Queue is great. On to the ride. The video to real set transitions do come off as very jarring when compared to Spidey. The video is blurry, but the vehicle movements while flying on the screen is very good. The dragon head is the only figure on the ride that qualifies as an animatronic for me. The dementors are cheesy and not remotely frightening. The womping willow is disappointing to me because only one branch moves at all, but it is amazing how close it gets to your vehicle. I'm very bummed out that Snape is not included, Rickman is easily the best thing about the Potter movies.

nerdboyrockstar

FJ is seriously the attraction to beat in Orlando. It's just breathtaking from the moment to you step into the castle to when you step off the ride. I had no idea how soaring in front of screen to fully realized sets would even work but it does brilliantly and surprisingly fluidly. It's just absolutely epic.

And to those who think Disney would have done better with this or any of their properties are completely delusional. The two Nemo attractions use projection in omnimover or submarine technology that's been around since the 60's. The Little Mermaid is on its way in omimover clamshells as well.

If Disney had any plans to create any kind of technological breakthrough attraction in the past decade, they could have and would. But they don't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom