Without worms spilling all out the can what is the problem with the new fast pass system?

ToyStorygirl

Original Poster
So, maybe I'm missing something here but we went late last year, didn't stay on Disney property so didn't have bands but I didn't notice any differences to previous visits.

We are going again this year and again staying off property - will I suddenly see what the disaster is which everyone talks about? Or is it just a magic band problem?

I'm serious, I see mentions of it here so much that I'm baffled why we didn't notice anything.

DisneyJoe

Do you use Fastpasses?

If you do, since you will be staying off site, the biggest difference that you will see is that you will need to get your 3 FP+ when you enter the park from one of the kiosks around the park, instead of running to each ride like you used to. You will also be limited to 3 FP+ per day, and they must be in one park.

ToyStorygirl

Original Poster
Do you use Fastpasses?

If you do, since you will be staying off site, the biggest difference that you will see is that you will need to get your 3 FP+ when you enter the park from one of the kiosks around the park, instead of running to each ride like you used to. You will also be limited to 3 FP+ per day, and they must be in one park.

Fair enough. We tend to stick to one park per day, go off peak season and only FP for something like Soarin' or Toy Story if we don't get there early enough. Probably why it didn't affect us. Don't mind waiting in line generally so don't FP much.

Thanks for the explanation.

copcarguyp71

Perhaps someone in the know can clarify...is there also a restriction on the particular rides you can get FP for? I thought I remembered that in EPCOT for instance you could not get FP for Soarin' and for TT on the same day...I am not saying this is the case for sure but asking for clarification.

ToyStorygirl

Original Poster
You know what's really annoying? Having your thread constantly re-posted to somewhere else. Why have a general discussion at all? I don't have time to trawl through every section of every forum. I want to read the place that has the most traffic and will give me the most responses.

Must feel great to have a "move to" power. It's so frustrating and don't bother to respond with the reasons behind it, it's nonsense.

copcarguyp71

Fair enough. We tend to stick to one park per day, go off peak season and only FP for something like Soarin' or Toy Story if we don't get there early enough. Probably why it didn't affect us. Don't mind waiting in line generally so don't FP much.

Thanks for the explanation.

Not sure when your last trip was but be aware that off peak season is disappearing rapidly and what was two to three years ago is not the case now. Even all of the usually accurate crowd prediction websites are all way off for the most part these days. Disney has been courting latin america and europe with discounts to fill in the times when continental US travellers used to pull back from travel.

ToyStorygirl

Original Poster
Not sure when your last trip was but be aware that off peak season is disappearing rapidly and what was two to three years ago is not the case now. Even all of the usually accurate crowd prediction websites are all way off for the most part these days. Disney has been courting latin america and europe with discounts to fill in the times when continental US travellers used to pull back from travel.
We went early December last year and walked straight on most things. Longest queue was Soarin' at 35 mins which wasn't too bad.

lilclerk

Perhaps someone in the know can clarify...is there also a restriction on the particular rides you can get FP for? I thought I remembered that in EPCOT for instance you could not get FP for Soarin' and for TT on the same day...I am not saying this is the case for sure but asking for clarification.
Yep. #13 here shows the list.
http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/mymagicplus.htm

Tom

Beta Return
Also, the FP lines go much slower now that there are bands to scan as opposed to cards to read.

They must be working on this, because we used FP+ all week (this past Sun-Fri) and they scanned very quickly. Never once did we have a line at the FP entrance, except for the small group of guests who loiter in the entry when they get there too early and are denied access....but they were there before).

Redhawk

Do you use Fastpasses?

I would modify this to say "the biggest difference that you will see is that you will be able to get your 3 FP+ when you enter the park from one of the kiosks around the park, instead of running to each ride like you had to do in the past."

Rather than seeing it as "limited" to 3 FP per day, yes, you get only 3 BUT you have a better chance of getting return times that are convenient to you and help you decide how you want to move through the park. Plus, the return times can be altered.

Toystorygirl seems to tour the parks at the times of year and in the same way I do, thus I think she will see a benefit in FP+.

Last edited:

horizons82

IMHO, my problem with the new FP+ system is two-fold:

First, it creates a certain inequity between those who stay on property and those who do not. Before, all park tickets were created equal in that everyone had the same access to attractions or to FP equally. Now, those who stay on-site will have a distinct advantage. I feel like everyone who has a park ticket should have equal access to all parts/attractions of the park, and with the on-site FP+ advantage this is no longer the case.

Secondly, it kind of means the entire Disney experience is going to change. It's pretty much an admission that the crowds are really big, lines are really long and I think this is an attempt to make some people (especially first-time or rare visitors) think they are really getting something special by having an assured FP for certain attractions (even if they are for attractions or times when a FP is not even needed).

The reality is that WDW has plenty of people filling its parks and this is about the only way they can kind of start to keep people happy (especially the first-time/rare ones who don't know any better).

It also puts WDW in a position to ensure more people stay on-site because they know how difficult it might be, or how early they have to be at the parks if they don't.

As an annual passholder, I actually will like FP+ when it's implemented for me because it will make going into the park for 4-5 hour visits very easily and will guarantee me the 3 attractions I really want to do in that time without waiting in line. So in my case, I do see it as a positive.

However, I sincerely feel bad for those who don't realize how busy the parks are and for those who do not realize you have to make reservations for almost everything--these people are going to go to the parks thinking they are going to be able to eat at Be Our Guest, ride Toy Story or just be able to walk into a table-service restaurant without FP or ADRs, and these people are going to be SORELY disappointed and I feel for them.

To me, this new FP system basically means that WDW knows its parks are too crowded and the lines too long and I feel this was put in place to hopefully appease with the thinking that as long as guests get 3 guaranteed short waits (even for those attractions where it isn't needed) they will feel it was worth it, while at the same time creating more reason for people to stay on-site.

For me, it's not as black and white as some people make the issue, and there are pros and cons depending on which type of park guest is involved. I do think my largest complaint is the inequity it creates in that an off-site guests ticket is no longer as good as an on-site resort guest's ticket and I think that is wrong.

In the end, as much as people may disagree with or not like the new FP+ system, it's not going anywhere as long as there are people coming to WDW. I think WDW's gamble is that there are always going to be new people coming to the parks who are not in-the-know about these disadvantages the new FP creates than there are people unhappy who will stop going because of it.

CheshireCat12

Horizons82 said:

First, it creates a certain inequity between those who stay on property and those who do not. Before, all park tickets were created equal in that everyone had the same access to attractions or to FP equally. Now, those who stay on-site will have a distinct advantage. I feel like everyone who has a park ticket should have equal access to all parts/attractions of the park, and with the on-site FP+ advantage this is no longer the case.

OK, so I only wanted to reply to this paragraph:
Disney as a money-making entity would WANT this to occur. Meaning that it would encourage more people to stay on site if they feel they are getting perks that off-site guests will not. More rooms sold, more money in their pockets. Not surprising that they would want to guide people in this way.
Everyone DOES have equal access to the park, technically speaking, during regular open times. Anyone can get a FP+ time whether they use the kiosks or do it ahead of time. But paying to stay on-site does and should give you some perks- booking ahead on FP+, DME transportation, EMH. This is why I stay on-site.

horizons82

I do agree with you Cheshire and I certainly think on-site guests SHOULD get perks. I just don't think those perks should have the potential to keep a regular ticket holder who is not staying on-site from being able to enjoy any part of the park equally.

I think my concern is that between APs and resort guests both having early FP access, what about the chances that FPs for popular attractions might even be all taken before the park even opens that day? Or at the very least leave a lot less FPs available the day-of for certain attractions.

It definitely makes sense for WDW to want to create that demand for guests to want to stay on-site and I believe those guests should get perks...I just don't want to see those perks impact those who also have a park ticket but just are not staying on-site.

Redhawk

IMHO, my problem with the new FP+ system is two-fold:

First, it creates a certain inequity between those who stay on property and those who do not. Before, all park tickets were created equal in that everyone had the same access to attractions or to FP equally.

All park tickets were not equal before because only resort guests can/could use EMH, thus allowing those who stay at the resorts "extra hours" in the parks. That's nothing new as it has been a perk for a long time.

I think my concern is that between APs and resort guests both having early FP access, what about the chances that FPs for popular attractions might even be all taken before the park even opens that day? Or at the very least leave a lot less FPs available the day-of for certain attractions.

It seems a lot of people have been worried about this and so far no evidence that it's happening. Many guests report going to a park and getting same-day FPs for the attractions they want, often at more or less the times they wanted. There have been some high-crowd days since the beginning of the year, and yet no stories of same-day users arriving at rope drop and not getting any "good" FPs. I've read reports that people were pleasantly surprised to arrive mid-morning and get TSMM FPs for an hour or so later. Time will still tell as we move into the crowds of summer, and more resort guests reserve in advance, but so far the big problems many were envisioning don't seem to be happening.

ParentsOf4

Let's see if I can enumerate the most common complaints from those staying onsite:
  1. The MagicBands have been temperamental. Works fine for most but some have had problems at gates, hotel rooms, redeeming FP+ selections, etc. Some have reported their FP+ selections disappearing from My Disney Experience.
  2. Limit of 3 FP+ selections per day.
  3. All FP+ selections must be at the same park. No FP+ selections at 2 parks on the same day.
  4. Attraction tiering at Epcot and DHS. For example, both Soarin' and Test Track cannot be selected at Epcot.
  5. Long (but quick-moving) FP+ return lines. (Except for some attractions that previously did not have FP, Standby lines have not been impacted.)
In addition, for those staying offsite:
  1. Long FP+ kiosk lines, depending on crowd levels and time of day.
  2. Limited FP+ availability. Those booking in advance (i.e. staying onsite or AP holders) get first access. This doesn't mean offsite guests get none, only that availability for offsite guests can run out quickly.
  3. Related to the previous item, still having to do the morning drop rope dash to get the best FP+ selections.
  4. Having to return to the FP+ kiosk to modify selections.
Eventually, offsite guests with multiday tickets should be able to use My Disney Experience to make selections before arrival, but there is no firm date for this.

For several of the above issues, Disney is working on solutions but, again, no clear date for when these might be addressed.

In general, Disney continues to look for ways to improve FP+. Today's problems might be gone tomorrow, but new problems might pop up. FP+ is a work-in-progress.

Last edited:

bethymouse

With as much advertisement as Disney is doing for being "our guest during our test", they'll need more people to stay on-site. It's a sizable promotion that hasn't been seen like this in many years!:eek:

ParentsOf4

It seems a lot of people have been worried about this and so far no evidence that it's happening. Many guests report going to a park and getting same-day FPs for the attractions they want, often at more or less the times they wanted. There have been some high-crowd days since the beginning of the year, and yet no stories of same-day users arriving at rope drop and not getting any "good" FPs. I've read reports that people were pleasantly surprised to arrive mid-morning and get TSMM FPs for an hour or so later. Time will still tell as we move into the crowds of summer, and more resort guests reserve in advance, but so far the big problems many were envisioning don't seem to be happening.
There also have been reports of no TSM availability by 9:30 AM. One person's experience with FP+ does not negate the others.

More than anything, FP+ seems to behave inconsistently from one day to the next, suggesting either that crowds are varying greatly, continued technical problems with the system, or attempts by Disney to tinker with the system.

From my own experience during Thanksgiving week, I can report numerous problems attempting to change times. For example:
  1. On Tuesday evening, I tried changing a Wednesday 10 AM FP+ selection for Peter Pan. The only alternative times available were 11 PM or midnight.
  2. On Thursday morning (10 AM), I tried changing a Thursday 2 PM FP+ selection for RnRC. No alternative times were available.
  3. On Friday morning (7 AM), I tried changing a 9 AM FP+ selection for Test Track. The only alternative time available was 7:25 PM.
FP+ did not create WDW's ride capacity problems. However, FP+ did not solve them either. On any given day, there will be more in the park that want to ride (for example) TSM than TSM has capacity for.

WDW needs to add ride capacity to their most popular attractions, similar to what they did with Dumbo.

Last edited:

jlsHouston

Well. I am on property with a magic band. FP+ is kind of crappy. Not only are you limited at certain parks by tiering but they ran out of FP+ today for all the E ticket rides at EPCOT and MK by 3. I know because I tried to change mine.

We started around 9:30 this morning at AK. Walked on safari. By the time we got to EE it was a 40 minute wait so we did single rider. My first time on EE. Then we went over to dinosaur and walked on it. Then we waited about 35 minutes in Kali on stand by. Those were the 4 rides. In between we had breakfast and lunch and the DG7 got badges. One m&g with Louie and the tall guy. Pretty busy at the park by 11 am and when we left at 3. We decided to go swim at the resort and I was going to change our FP+ and that is when I found out that the only time we had at EPCOT for Soaring was it and TT was out too.
Nothing worth FPing at MK was left either or HS.
So I just cancelled FP for the day.
Now my conclusion is planning on the fly with FP+ during high crowd times is misleading compared to legacy. With legacy you knew what you had to do by certain times at each park for specific rides. It kind of looks like with FP+ you run out even sooner for the E ticket rides at 3 of the 4 parks now during high crowds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom