With Disney buying Marvel what park in WDW will be impacted by this?

WDW Vacationer

Obviously the Marvel acquisition changes the long term "master plan" that many insiders have hinted exists. I too see the left of the Hat being Pixar and I see the right being Marvel. The front of the park and the streets would remain largely the same.
I think they should go something like this:

Hollywoodland (front and Echo lake,Animation area)

Lucasland(Indy and Star Tours)

Muppet Studios(Muppetvision)

Pixar Place(current,backlot and LMA

Marvel Studios(behind animation courtyard,parking lot)

jt04

Pixar Place(current,backlot and LMA

Yes and Lucasland could be expanded east somewhat easily. I like your thinking.

DocMcHulk

Pixar Place(current,backlot and LMA)
I like the ideas... however I thought a few people in the know around here said Muppet Studios and Lucasland was a no-go. However, that doesnt mean that cant be "unofficial" areas.

As for the animation studio/courtyard.... i think it goes. or at least gets reused n the Marvel Studios. It's not an animation studio any more and that building is largely useless.

Yes and Lucasland could be expanded east somewhat easily. I like your thinking.
where? I am not seeing an area unless they go over the existing entrance road.

DocMcHulk

Im thinking the Great Movie Ride will be affected by this somewhere down the road. :veryconfu
Maybe... but not massively. Maybe they take out some of the outdated movie references. And by out-dated, I mean that in 10 years many movies will have been forgot.

WDW1974

What happened to the other thread? It couldn't have died yet?

At present NO WDW park will be impacted by this. None. Nada.

And if Disney were to integrate Marvel characters into their Orlando parks (and honestly, there's only one park where they fit at all ... they would literally destroy the mission/focus of any of the others) ... they would be bound by Universal's exclusivity arrangement for any of the characters/properties they are currently using.

That means ... the biggies like Spidey and Hulk and Fantastic Four and Captain America can't be used at WDW. Period.

Unless Disney makes Uni an offer it can't refuse, which is highly unlikely.

I know this site is based on theme parks ... WDW theme parks ... but Disney purchasing Marvel wasn't based on attractions for WDW.

It was based on getting control of the 7,000 characters (most Americans likely haven't a clue who 6,995 are) that Marvel owns. And using them across many platforms ... think movies (even royalties right now), think Disney XD, think Marvel Marts packed with comics and other merchandise next to Disney Stores and a huge retail location at DD Anaheim (prototype), think regional entertainment centers that won't cannibalize from WDW/DL but add a new revenue stream ... and yeah, think theme parks ... just not at WDW right now.

jt04

I like the ideas... however I thought a few people in the know around here said Muppet Studios and Lucasland was a no-go. However, that doesnt mean that cant be "unofficial" areas.

--Nobody with any cred has said these can't or won't happen. I think you will be seeing a lot more of the muppets. Lucas approving more content for DHS is a bit more questionable. But who knows these days. I hear he likes the park.

As for the animation studio/courtyard.... i think it goes. or at least gets reused n the Marvel Studios. It's not an animation studio any more and that building is largely useless.

--I guess I disagree here. Disney will want someplace to showcase their reviving animation studios product. That area is perfect for it. If you are right then perhaps MSUSA could showcase Disney Animation exhibits.

where? I am not seeing an area unless they go over the existing entrance road.

--That access road is south of DHS. They could expand east by reconfiguring or relocating the employee parking which is right behing the Indy stunt show I believe.

wserratore1963

There wont be any change or impact at WDW. Universal has licensing for the Marvel characters East of the Mississippi and that would prohibit WDW from using them. Disneyland could do something but it would have to be marketed locally and not on a national level. I think Disney will just sit back and collect. They now not only get paid by Universal for the use of the characters but also a cut of the mandatory merchandising of the Marvel characters at the Universal Park. It is almost like Disney taking partial ownership of IOA... If you can't beat them...Buy them..
I agree with you to certain extent; however I could see a 5th gate(park) in about 4-5 years when the current agreement expires; maybe tie it together with the old beastly kingdom idea!

DocMcHulk

--That access road is south of DHS. They could expand east by reconfiguring or relocating the employee parking which is right behing the Indy stunt show I believe.
I was looking at my map wrong. yea, now I see what you mean by east. However, I'm not exactly sure how youd get there given that there are a series of buildings in the way.

WDW1974

I agree with you to certain extent; however I could see a 5th gate(park) in about 4-5 years when the current agreement expires; maybe tie it together with the old beastly kingdom idea!

Oh gawd!!! Fifth gates and BK again?!???

Any of our resident rednecks got a gun?

jt04

I was looking at my map wrong. yea, now I see what you mean by east. However, I'm not exactly sure how youd get there given that there are a series of buildings in the way.

Not to the north of Indy. Some buldings would have to be worked around but Disney has become expert in such techniques. It's definitely possible.

I wonder if there are any Marvel characters that could fit into a haunted hotel theme?

RSoxNo1

The article is interesting sounds like Disney now has control over what goes on in Marvel Island, and they could exert enough pressure on them to void the deal if they really wanted too. However look at it like this, Disney does not need to fit anything Marvel into their parks, the don't need to develop new rides, they have control, and make money off of the rides. There's no need to rush and do anything.

Which article? It is an interesting thought - can Universal make changes to Marvel Island without Disney's approval? Otherwise you'd think they'd be able to present the characters in a negative light or something like that.

What happened to the other thread? It couldn't have died yet?

At present NO WDW park will be impacted by this. None. Nada.

And if Disney were to integrate Marvel characters into their Orlando parks (and honestly, there's only one park where they fit at all ... they would literally destroy the mission/focus of any of the others) ... they would be bound by Universal's exclusivity arrangement for any of the characters/properties they are currently using.

That means ... the biggies like Spidey and Hulk and Fantastic Four and Captain America can't be used at WDW. Period.

Unless Disney makes Uni an offer it can't refuse, which is highly unlikely.

I know this site is based on theme parks ... WDW theme parks ... but Disney purchasing Marvel wasn't based on attractions for WDW.

It was based on getting control of the 7,000 characters (most Americans likely haven't a clue who 6,995 are) that Marvel owns. And using them across many platforms ... think movies (even royalties right now), think Disney XD, think Marvel Marts packed with comics and other merchandise next to Disney Stores and a huge retail location at DD Anaheim (prototype), think regional entertainment centers that won't cannibalize from WDW/DL but add a new revenue stream ... and yeah, think theme parks ... just not at WDW right now.

I agree that it doesn't make sense for Disney to open their equivalent to Marvel Superhero Island with any of the remaining characters, while a comparable land exists at Islands of Adventure.

jt04

Which article? It is an interesting thought - can Universal make changes to Marvel Island without Disney's approval? Otherwise you'd think they'd be able to present the characters in a negative light or something like that.

I agree that it doesn't make sense for Disney to open their equivalent to Marvel Superhero Island with any of the remaining characters, while a comparable land exists at Islands of Adventure.

I think they are refering to this....

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/orl-disney-marvel-universal-090209,0,7213696.story

To think Disney isn't going to use Marvel sooner rather than later at WDW is denial. Even if it's just characters.

And anybody who thinks Uni will spend years promoting Marvel is delusional.

The aftershocks are still being felt at Universal and it's parent companies. Guaranteed. :D

DisneyCanadian

WIth Disney having the ability to audit Universal's spending re: Marvel merch and marketing, does Disney now have an in to see where else they are spending ? or would only Marvel related materials be available for Disney to view?

Also, as soon as the liscencing agreement with Marvel and Universal is over, WDW will jump at the opportunity to incorporate Marvel into their parks. East of the Mississippi will not be a permanent thing.

jt04

WIth Disney having the ability to audit Universal's spending re: Marvel merch and marketing, does Disney now have an in to see where else they are spending ? or would only Marvel related materials be available for Disney to view?

Also, as soon as the liscencing agreement with Marvel and Universal is over, WDW will jump at the opportunity to incorporate Marvel into their parks. East of the Mississippi will not be a permanent thing.

It's become very clear that Disney can use any character not featured at IoA east of the mississippi. And I think they will.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom