Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

EPCOT-O.G.

I was very surprised that the soundtrack to Wish only had 8 songs, while the soundtrack to Frozen had a lot more.
It was a head-scratcher of a decision to put this all in the hands of someone with little to no experience in musicals (let alone animated musicals) but said person was Grammy-nominated. How’d that work out?

brb1006

just my opinion but having finally watched it last night, this is single handedly the worst disney animated movie i’ve seen since some of those bad direct to video sequels in the early 90’s. i can see why it failed at the box office.
Heard the Japanese version of the movie is slightly better due to the performances and a few dislogue changes. Hope the Disney+ version has the Japanese Dub in the future.

TsWade2

This may not be necessary, but please make Wish a hit on DisneyPlus!
Lion King Please GIF

BrianLo

Box-office flops can become quite popular in later years. To be clear, I don’t think this is likely to happen in the case of Wish, nor am I denying that the film did very poorly at the box office. But none of that has anything to do with my point, which is merely that we don’t yet (indeed can’t yet) know for certain how the film will fare with audiences in future years after it begins streaming on Disney+.

I'll come out and say my benchmark for even considering a redemption arc is this needs to be sitting in the top ten streamed movies this year. If it can't play with Elemental, Moana, Encanto and Frozen in the year of its release, then it's impossible to bear out in five.

Mario will also be occupying that list beyond a shadow of a doubt this year (probably will be number one).

Lightyear and Strange World did not feature in their respective years - just so it's not an accusation that the bar is too low simply because it is an animated movie.

WorldExplorer

I still wouldn't buy merch for a movie I don't care about. No worries though, new Moana merch will start selling this fall.

I'm thinking they're going to end up doing another big Passholder/CM mega discounted event and it's going to be a lot of Wish stuff.

Even Lightyear merchandise didn't get mass slapped with huge discounts.

Ghost93

I think the generic nature of Wish is what will likely prevent it from developing a passionate cult following like other Disney flops. The Emperor's New Groove, Atlantis and Treasure Planet were all box office failures too, but they all have cult followings because they at least attempted to deviate from the standard Disney formula.

Wish's problem is that' it's too much of a tribute to classic Disney movies that it fails to develop an identity of its own. There isn't anything it does that dozens of other movies do much better. Wish is not a *bad* movie and doesn't deserve to be hated on, but I think it's too basic to leave a lasting impression — good or bad. It doesn't even have the "well, at least they tried something different" element that something like The Black Cauldron has.

Miss Rori

Disney World has put almost all of their Wish merchandise on sale. It's 40% off with additional discounts applicable, so it's a pretty huge markdown.
That's actually deeper than I've seen Target going with. There are also some discounts at ShopDisney but they're not as deep as either. In fact some of the upscale merch such as the Dooney & Burke bags aren't discounted at all there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom