Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

celluloid

There is simply not enough subscribers and ad space to make HM, The Marvels, Wish and all the other money losers from this year with Disney also pumping millions per episode of all of their other shows and content budgets.

wtyy21

Wish Box Office Second-Weekend Drop Is Even Worse Than Disney's Biggest 2022 Flop

Disney's Wish, which already had an underwhelming opening weekend, posts a week 2 drop even worse than the studio's previous Thanksgiving flop.
  • Wish, Disney's new animated movie, has struggled at the box office, earning only $19.7 million in its opening weekend and premiering at No. 3 over Thanksgiving weekend.
  • In its second weekend, the movie is projected to earn an additional $7 million.
  • This total marks a 64% drop, worse than Strange World, which was last year's Thanksgiving release from Disney.
It will tell a different story when it comes to International markets. Unless Aquaman II and Wonka released and leads the overseas box office, Wish may still lead in certain territories when it debuted.

Last edited:

_caleb

There is simply not enough subscribers and ad space to make HM, The Marvels, Wish and all the other money losers from this year with Disney also pumping millions per episode of all of their other shows and content budgets.
Disney+ has 156.8M subscribers. Currently, the cost is $7.99 w/ads, $13.99 Premium, which averages out to be $10.99 if everyone paid full price (many subscriptions are discounted right now).

Let’s say Disney can get to $10/mo. per sub. That would be (I’m terrible at math) eighteen billion nine hundred thirty-six million dollars per year.

And that’s before they really get into in-app purchases, premium second screen content, and other new streams that leverage the technology.

Of course there is going to be churn and they’re going to have to continue to add content, but how many box office flops do you think even half this number would cover?

WorldExplorer

‘Wish’ is being appreciated by the young ones once they see the film from what I saw today where I work.

Older woman and a young girl about age 8 came into my store today.
I noticed them right away when they stepped in as the girl was clutching a small plush goat …not something you see everyday.

Went over to say hello, and then they surprisingly asked me if we had anything related to ‘Wish’.
Two items, yes….which I led them to, and it was fun hearing their reactions while viewing the items.
So it was nice to see some interest.

Despite all the seemingly poor box office returns and mediocre reviews, the target audience seems as delighted as always.

-

Going to have to disagree. Disney is selling stuff in the parks and I've been in them all week and I very rarely see any child with any of it (e.g. they sell a child sized Valentino shirt and I haven't seen anyone wearing one).

Or anyone for that matter, actually. Seeing bought Wish merchandise is rare enough that it's surprising and stands out each time.

In particular, I'm betting the Valentino popcorn buckets are going to go the way of the Mr Toad bucket (where reportedly they ended up just giving them away to cast members). Over the course of the week I saw a grand total of one purchased bucket.

(And two star sippers, but at least those have the excuse of not being refillable.)

Last edited:

Midwest Elitist

Remember when The Care Bears Movie outgrossed The Black Cauldron back in 1985?, this is the equivalent of that embarrassing moment, a soulless sequel to Trolls beating out Disney's ambitious animated film is just sad :facepalm:
CARE A LOT
IS A PLACE WE ALL CAN GOOOOO

That movie still is pretty creepy to this day. It has heart though. "Growing Up" from the second one really stings however...

Phroobar

Going to have to disagree. Disney is selling stuff in the parks and I've been in them all week and I very rarely see any child with any of it (e.g. they sell a child sized Valentino shirt and I haven't seen anyone wearing one).

Or anyone for that matter, actually. Seeing bought Wish merchandise is rare enough that it's surprising and stands out each time.

In particular, I'm betting the Valentino popcorn buckets are going to go the way of the Mr Toad bucket (where reportedly they ended up just giving them away to cast members). Over the course of the week I saw a grand total of one purchased bucket.

(And two star sippers, but at least those have the excuse of not being refillable.)
Valentino popcorn buckets on ebay seem be to going for an average of $45-50. There are about 45 on sale. The light up star popcorn bucket seems to sell better. Maybe all of those Nintendo people are buying it?

MoonRakerSCM

1701621597928.png

You made Gurgi sad

choco choco

Wish deserves its fate. I'm gonna start posting random observations about the film to demonstrate Disney's lackadaisical execution of their tentpole 100th anniversary release. First up:

The main lyric to Wish's big anthem, key enough that it was featured in all the trailers and promos, and serves as the all-important reprise that defeats the main villain (the power of song an heretofore unmentioned source of weakness for the main villain up until the very second it is used to vanquish him - inexplicably) features this lyric:

So I look up at the stars to guide me
And throw caution to every warning sign

This has already become a laughingstock among film aficionados, achieving popular meme status in just a short time, because that second couplet makes no bloody sense. The saying being referenced is, "to throw caution to the wind," which means that caution is being thrown away, to be swept out with the wind, in favor of greater risk-taking. It's literally incomprehensible what it means to "throw caution to every warning sign." What...what does that even mean?? There is a sign of warning and you throw caution into it...what would that even do? It's unparseable.

How could such a lyric get past, well, anyone with a facility for english language? Forget the songwriter who wrote that (no seriously, they deserve to be forgotten), but how did an entire cadre of executives, animators, directors, artists, interns, janitors...anybody(!) let that get out. How did the frickin' guy who cut the commercials and trailers at the very least think, "We might not want to use this lyric, because it features a totally confusing turn of phrase that doesn't make a lick of sense."

_caleb

Wish deserves its fate. I'm gonna start posting random observations about the film to demonstrate Disney's lackadaisical execution of their tentpole 100th anniversary release. First up:

The main lyric to Wish's big anthem, key enough that it was featured in all the trailers and promos, and serves as the all-important reprise that defeats the main villain (the power of song an heretofore unmentioned source of weakness for the main villain up until the very second it is used to vanquish him - inexplicably) features this lyric:

This has already become a laughingstock among film aficionados, achieving popular meme status in just a short time, because that second couplet makes no bloody sense. The saying being referenced is, "to throw caution to the wind," which means that caution is being thrown away, to be swept out with the wind, in favor of greater risk-taking. It's literally incomprehensible what it means to "throw caution to every warning sign." What...what does that even mean?? There is a sign of warning and you throw caution into it...what would that even do? It's unparseable.

How could such a lyric get past, well, anyone with a facility for english language? Forget the songwriter who wrote that (no seriously, they deserve to be forgotten), but how did an entire cadre of executives, animators, directors, artists, interns, janitors...anybody(!) let that get out. How did the frickin' guy who cut the commercials and trailers at the very least think, "We might not want to use this lyric, because it features a totally confusing turn of phrase that doesn't make a lick of sense."
Isn’t it just portions of two common idioms put together to convey a sentiment?
  • Throw caution to (the wind)
  • (Ignore) every warning sign
Doesn’t seem like such a big riddle to me.

WorldExplorer

Valentino popcorn buckets on ebay seem be to going for an average of $45-50. There are about 45 on sale. The light up star popcorn bucket seems to sell better. Maybe all of those Nintendo people are buying it?

Eh, there are Toad ones sold for high prices, too.

But I could always be wrong.

I think what they're trying to imply is knocking down the warning signs with your thrown caution, which we understand as something that may be thrown because of the common "thrown to the wind" saying?

Which is in itself a bad, confusing mix of analogies and even worse when you try to condense it down to a couple quick song lyrics, but that's my best guess at the intention.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Thanks for this post. I read that second couplet over and over, not understanding, thinking I was having a stroke. It literally makes no sense.

Did the singer misread her music sheet and no one noticed and it got left in?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom