Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

TsWade2

I’m sorry to say this and I wish I never believe this, but since Wish is going to be an unfairly flop and if it’s going to be popular on DisneyPlus, then maybe Disney should give up movie theaters and stick to DisneyPlus from now on. I mean, I’m starting to feel movie theaters is becoming a dead art form. I think Disney movies are no longer popular at the box office anymore. So, I think Disney needs to sacrifice movie theaters and do it on DisneyPlus. Not only people don’t want to see Disney movies anymore, but I feel like nobody likes Disney anymore and Disney will never get better. I know it sounds like doom and gloom, but I’m also being realistic. I’m just upset tgat Wish is a flop!😢

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
What would they make instead?

The MCU is on life support, Star Wars is on life support, the live action remakes are on life support, the few original movies they try (Tomorrowland, Haunted Mansion) don’t connect… they have nothing left.
I thought ‘Tomorrowland’ was a little outside the usual box and quite entertaining. I enjoyed it a lot. 🤷‍♂️ Sadly it did not connect with more people.

wtyy21

So, now that Wish made less than $20 million this weekend (WOW!!!), what does that say for future Disney princess movies???

But, with A- score for Wish, it could become a cult classics for many when the film released digitally and need to receive more attentions and love from overseas audience, since the film itself didn't yet released in a couple major markets (many of them release Wish during Christmas week). Brazil didn't release Wish until January 2024, so we expected the film to track box office numbers closely for overseas markets. Too early to say Wish is flop when the film itself did not yet release in major overseas markets.
IMG_20231127_063158.jpg
IMG_20231127_063139.jpg
IMG_20231127_063139.jpg

Last edited:

MrPromey

I loved the first half, and the concept in general, it just felt like they didn’t know how to write an ending for it, the second half was very weird.
Agree, completely.

They had a great original idea for a movie that could have been something awesome and possibly the start of something bigger but it's like they never really got past that idea stage and as a result, we're left with what we got and thoughts on what could have been.

Figments Friend

I thought ‘Tomorrowland’ was a little outside the usual box and quite entertaining. I enjoyed it a lot. 🤷‍♂️ Sadly it did not connect with more people.

I love ‘Tomorrowland’.

Paid to see it four times during its theatrical run.
Fantastic concept…awesome music, and dang does it inspire.
Sure it had a few odd moments…but I love this movie.

So there is one more!
🙂

-

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Maybe they need to buy something new and squeeze again. Bluey's Ludo Studio, Lionsgate, etc.

How about no

I’m sorry to say this and I wish I never believe this, but since Wish is going to be an unfairly flop and if it’s going to be popular on DisneyPlus, then maybe Disney should give up movie theaters and stick to DisneyPlus from now on. I mean, I’m starting to feel movie theaters is becoming a dead art form. I think Disney movies are no longer popular at the box office anymore. So, I think Disney needs to sacrifice movie theaters and do it on DisneyPlus. Not only people don’t want to see Disney movies anymore, but I feel like nobody likes Disney anymore and Disney will never get better. I know it sounds like doom and gloom, but I’m also being realistic. I’m just upset tgat Wish is a flop!😢

Movie theaters arent dying because a movie you wanted to succeed didnt. You cant force people to see or like a movie.

Consumer

What exactly was the appeal of Wish? It was the 100th year of Disney animation? That the princess is black? That the goat says "butt"? I'm glad to see the movie was another financial disaster for Disney and I hope they start making movies that actually appeal to the average American and not just people on Twitter. Disney excels when when adapting European and American fairy tales and literature. That's what the people want, not self congratulating DEI content.

Disney should scrap all of their current projects and immediately begin work on an adaptation of The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald. Keep the characters authentically European, keep it free of contemporary "humor," don't insert any political or social agendas. Just an honest, timeless fairy tale with music. That's what Disney needs to make.

mickEblu

What exactly was the appeal of Wish? It was the 100th year of Disney animation? That the princess is black? That the goat says "butt"? I'm glad to see the movie was another financial disaster for Disney and I hope they start making movies that actually appeal to the average American and not just people on Twitter. Disney excels when when adapting European and American fairy tales and literature. That's what the people want, not self congratulating DEI content.

Disney should scrap all of their current projects and immediately begin work on an adaptation of The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald. Keep the characters authentically European, keep it free of contemporary "humor," don't insert any political or social agendas. Just an honest, timeless fairy tale with music. That's what Disney needs to make.

I find it a little amusing that it’s with the European material or settings where they feel the need to include characters of all races. When the movies were set in Mexico (Coco), Columbia (Encanto) or Southeast Asia (Raya) they didn’t do that.

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
agree, how about going back to actual retelling of tales like they use to do. Also getting tired of the boring/lazy one word titles.
keep it free of contemporary "humor," don't insert any political or social agendas. Just an honest, timeless fairy tale with music. That's what Disney needs to make.
Amen to both! I don't care where it takes place as long as all of the above is satisfied. I'm so tired of them producing movies that fill in checkboxes.

choco choco

Tired of the box office talk (Why would I give two hoots whether Disney makes money?). So I caught the Sunday matinee so could talk about the content...

Wish is terrible. If anything, the critics were being too nice about it.

The saddest thing about it is - the animation, from the world's premier animation studio, is awful. Many of the characters look unfinished. Why does Asha have freckles and full face texture, and yet so many of the other characters have that plasticine, solid tone, over-smooth look to them? Many of the characters except Asha look as if they needed another two or three renders on them. The bear character is just....what the hell? He looks like the bear from Open Season, from 2006(!!), and that was already considered a bad piece of animation back then.

The movement and expressiveness is god-awful. Does the studio have any of its talent left? Posing is stiff and unclear; where is anybody at the animation house to tell all the animators to keep pushing the pose? Design a strong sillhouette? To make things worse, The movement and inbetweening from pose to pose is jittery, this is either on-purpose - in which case it feels off-kilter for Disney's usual level of polish - or it's a technical problem - which is unforgivable. This...this is the company that invented the artform? Every character in the film lacks appeal because of this weakness. Of all the animated films I've seen in the last two years (including stuff released only for streaming i.e. The Sea Beast or Nimona), the character animation here is well and away the weakest of any of their competitors. It's miles away from what Dreamworks has accomplished in recent years (look at the expressiveness of The Bad Guys), to say nothing of what Sony's Spiderman films is accomplishing.

And the art design to look like a painting (especially watercolor) is interesting, except Spider-Verse and Puss in Boots did the similar things in the past 16 months or so, and they clearly did it better. Much of the backgrounds here feel like they need another pass, to brush up on linework and shading, because what they've currently accomplished is still reading pretty flat. Not enough dimension. Plus, the artwork lacks much of the texture that the other studios were able to put into their moving "paintings" (i.e. the brush strokes in Puss, and the incredible swirling gouache effect that blew everyone's mind in Spider-Verse.)

In short, Disney has gotten lapped in animation and art design. They were the last to release a stylized look to one of their films, and are by far the most underwhelming. It must have sucked being at the studio in the past year or two, and looking at release after release doing things that they haven't been able to do yet. What a sad state of affairs. How did they get so behind?

And this is just the start of the films problems...

Consumer

I find it a little amusing that it’s with the European material or settings where they feel the need to include characters of all races. When the movies were set in Mexico (Coco), Colombia (Encanto) or Southeast Asia (Raya) they didn’t do that.
I completely agree. The erasing of European culture and identity is some of the most offensive work Disney has done, and unfortunately it's not just Disney but a problem throughout society right now. Everyone would be up in arms if Disney were to treat non-white cultures the way they treat European heritage, but because Europeans are white Disney gets a pass to mistreat their culture. It's revolting and rooted in anti-white racism.

mickEblu

Tired of the box office talk (Why would I give two hoots whether Disney makes money?). So I caught the Sunday matinee so could talk about the content...

Wish is terrible. If anything, the critics were being too nice about it.

The saddest thing about it is - the animation, from the world's premier animation studio, is awful. Many of the characters look unfinished. Why does Asha have freckles and full face texture, and yet so many of the other characters have that plasticine, solid tone, over-smooth look to them? Many of the characters except Asha look as if they needed another two or three renders on them. The bear character is just....what the hell? He looks like the bear from Open Season, from 2006(!!), and that was already considered a bad piece of animation back then.

The movement and expressiveness is god-awful. Does the studio have any of its talent left? Posing is stiff and unclear; where is anybody at the animation house to tell all the animators to keep pushing the pose? Design a strong sillhouette? To make things worse, The movement and inbetweening from pose to pose is jittery, this is either on-purpose - in which case it feels off-kilter for Disney's usual level of polish - or it's a technical problem - which is unforgivable. This...this is the company that invented the artform? Every character in the film lacks appeal because of this weakness. Of all the animated films I've seen in the last two years (including stuff released only for streaming i.e. The Sea Beast or Nimona), the character animation here is well and away the weakest of any of their competitors. It's miles away from what Dreamworks has accomplished in recent years (look at the expressiveness of The Bad Guys), to say nothing of what Sony's Spiderman films is accomplishing.

And the art design to look like a painting (especially watercolor) is interesting, except Spider-Verse and Puss in Boots did the similar things in the past 16 months or so, and they clearly did it better. Much of the backgrounds here feel like they need another pass, to brush up on linework and shading, because what they've currently accomplished is still reading pretty flat. Not enough dimension. Plus, the artwork lacks much of the texture that the other studios were able to put into their moving "paintings" (i.e. the brush strokes in Puss, and the incredible swirling gouache effect that blew everyone's mind in Spider-Verse.)

In short, Disney has gotten lapped in animation and art design. They were the last to release a stylized look to one of their films, and are by far the most underwhelming. It must have sucked being at the studio in the past year or two, and looking at release after release doing things that they haven't been able to do yet. What a sad state of affairs. How did they get so behind?

And this is just the start of the films problems...

Perhaps they re not hiring animators based on talent alone? Can’t rule it out. From what I understand they’ve also lost a lot of institutional knowledge the last few years and that goes for the theme parks too. Why isn’t this stuff being passed down the way it was in the 70’s, 80’s etc?

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
I completely agree. The erasing of European culture and identity is some of the most offensive work Disney has done, and unfortunately it's not just Disney but a problem throughout society right now. Everyone would be up in arms if Disney were to treat non-white cultures the way they treat European heritage, but because Europeans are white Disney gets a pass to mistreat their culture. It's revolting and rooted in anti-white racism.
What has Disney done to make you say it’s mistreating European culture or being racist?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom