Will WDW Learn From WWoHP?

SMRT-1

Original Poster
Of course they're going to put the rest of the Disney merchandise in each of these stores too, because there's a lot of shelving to fill...and for convenience. Every guest tours differently, and they all leave the park after visiting a different attraction.

a lot of shelving to fill? this is exactly the problem....how about shoving crap down our throats? not only does it look bad from a design standpoint but it takes you away from the story being told. WDW shouldn't be an outlet mall. The nice thing about WWoHP is you don't have any Universal Studios/IOA anything in that area. It is an escape....you feel like you are not in IOA...there are dedicated drinks that are nothing you can get elsewhere. I disagree with your "convenience" point and that every guests tours differently....I don't think it would be that difficult to walk 15 feet to another location where you can get WDW coffee mugs or whatever.

PLeyava

It's obvious that the whole idea of paying attention to detail started with Disney, no other company cared until the Guests loved that Disney did it. Disney is studied by competition.

Since WWoHP opened, their attendance has risen but the same happens when anything new opens, give it time and the attendance will decrease. Everyone knows when something new open thats everyone wants to see, what do you think will happen when the new Fantasyland expansion is complete?

Also on my recent Disney trip, I have noticed that there have been many cosmetic changes going on, like new paint for the TTC and tons of other things round the parks.

And you have to remember, Disney has millions of loyal fans that will stick by it and always go back. Wait till this holidays, Disney will never go away :)

Mr. Morrow

No because it is the same as FLE 1 new ride and the rest are simply rethemed. FLE will have the same if not better theming. Disney has nothing to worry about.

Horizons1

Sorry been and stayed at Royal Pacific and aboslutely hated it. Bussiness convention atmoshpere. Pools not heated, and way over priced with a whole lot of nothing. We hated our two day stay there. River walk is just so so and we still love down town Disney a whole lot better. Far as PI we could care less about it. It comes down to do you need night clubs and such. For some yes and others no. Uni's little river walk is just that litlle. Now let's talk about customer care. I supposedly made the mistake of wearing a Disney hat while at Uni and was ridiculed for it all day long, not to mention I had a Uni employee refuse to answer a question unless I removed my hat. Then add the stupid disney bashing jokes by employees through out the parks all day long. No thanks, I will pass on this High Classed Six flags theme park. Our trip in September is planned. Disney for 8 days and nights, then off to Gaylord Palms resort for two days and plan to see Kennedy Space Center and Sea World. The wife and I do not plan on going to Uni any more. Now this is the first time in a long time that they finally got crowds going to see this small exhibit. Before that they were begging to get people in the park not to mention that being in the Park in September 2007, 2008 made it feel like a ghost town. It was a no crowd kind of place that was over priced and over rated. Sorry if you do not like our opinion fine, but don't go bashing people that truly dislike the park and tell their true opinions on it. My brother and Niece live in Lake Wales and went to see HP and both thought "this is it"! They thought it was good but not worthe seeing again. So they left the park and went over to aquatica instead. So in about two years the HP craze will be over for the park and then maybe they will expand into the Condo's behind HP. So the question really is what does UNI do in the long run when HP loses steam and crowds once again diminish

Very unlikely that this happened. VERY. Universal CMs would be terminated on the spot for that sort of thing. People at Universal have lives, their existance is not based off bashing Disney. Sure, you'll have one or two CM's that'll make the occasional crack, but it's nothing offensive. Most of the people employed at Universal are just like the ones that are employed at Disney, they're just people trying to make some money.

And since employees of Universal made fun of you all day, did you go to guest services and inform them of this horrifying experience you had?

Grizzly Hall 71

Went to Potter 2 days ago. It wasn't that crowded as I planned. Forbidden Journey (which is by far one of the best dark rides but not the greatest) had only a 60 minute wait and flight of the hippogriff had a 5 min and dragon challenge had a 10 min wait. However olivanders had a 45 min wait. Yes a store had a longer wait than an e ticket roller coaster. That is just what I call bad planning on universal. So yes Disney is learning, if your going to make an interactive store give it a larger space. And also, don't hide one of the top roller coasters in the country away while you broadcast a dumb drink (Yes I'm lookig at you butterbeer cart).

T-1MILLION

Went to Potter 2 days ago. It wasn't that crowded as I planned. Forbidden Journey (which is by far one of the best dark rides but not the greatest) had only a 60 minute wait and flight of the hippogriff had a 5 min and dragon challenge had a 10 min wait. However olivanders had a 45 min wait. Yes a store had a longer wait than an e ticket roller coaster. That is just what I call bad planning on universal. So yes Disney is learning, if your going to make an interactive store give it a larger space. And also, don't hide one of the top roller coasters in the country away while you broadcast a dumb drink (Yes I'm lookig at you butterbeer cart).

As for the store sizes. Yeah its inconvinient right now because of how succesful the Wizarding World of Harry Potter is, but there are few points with that.

1. It is more worth the wait to keep the experience intimate and if you are going to do it do it right.

2. People are obviously willing to wait that long knowing its just a shop for wands so it means there is a demand and will for it.

3. In a few years it will be better to have small intimate shops than huge ones that need to close down or sell generic merch for them to be worth it to stay open.

ISTCrew20

This is a Disney forum and there will always be people who say bad things about the competition without ever experiencing it, which is really a shame.

Whether or not you're a Potter fan or a Universal fan, there is simply no way an expansion like this can be written off as "nothing to worry about." What they were able to do here is something that completely blew me away. The level of immersion is like nothing I have experienced either at WDW or Disneyland. The closest thing I could compare it to, however, would be New Orleans Square at Disneyland.

Like New Orleans Square, my friends and I have spent hours walking around and taking in all of the atmosphere Wizarding World offers. There is so much to look at and piece together (Hermione's Time Turner is in one of the windows, daintily strewn about as if it has yet to be used) that I am always pointing out something new.

The shops are small, yes, but they are not meant to be warehouses. Part of the fun is squeezing past shelves to find more things around the corner. The shops in New Orleans Square are just as small, but the demand for Nightmare Before Christmas merchandise is not as high as the demand Golden Snitches, Sneakoscopes, Screaming YoYos, and Marauder's Maps, all of which you can only find in their respective stores within the Wizarding World. In fact, almost all of the merchandise here is custom made exclusive for the Wizarding World (including candy at Honeydukes) and all come in very nice, expertly designed packaging. In fact, finding a "Wizarding World" logo on anything is hard to do. You didn't buy that Fanged Flyer at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, you bought it at Zonko's Joke Shop.

And then to round out the land are three great attractions. The other two have received modest makeovers to theme them properly (something that was done right, even though the Dragon's queue is much more bare) but the main attraction, Forbidden Journey is unparalleled as it stands right now.

The ride is breathtaking, but I was way more impressed with the technology behind it. They created a thrill ride with the same loading capacity of that of Haunted Mansion. The unique ride vehicle, coupled with animatronics, special effects, and the soundtrack just provide an amazing experience. The inner-castle queue is so well done. Something that has annoyed me as of late from Disney is their unwillingness to theme any attraction ceilings. They leave spotlights, AC ducts, and all the inner workings exposed. As for Hogwarts, the only things that could possibly clue you into the fact that you are not in a real castle would be the exit signs.

There have been some problems with guests not being able to fit, yes, but that happens everywhere. There are some guests who can not fit on Rock 'n' Roller Coaster and there are some who can not fit on Forbidden Journey, but that's just the way it is. They certainly are not turning away every other guest, but there are some who just can't safely fit into the restraint system of the ride, which is pretty intense in movement. Safety will always be a number one priority.

All that said, Universal has seen these problems and are working to fix them. All doors of the shops were recently changed to swing out into the street instead of into the shops, making it easier for people inside. Several shelves in Honeydukes were restructured to make traffic flow easier. Extra Butterbeer and (appropriately themed) drink carts were added since opening, and the strong rumor is that Universal Creative is working on a larger vehicle for Forbidden Journey.

It has been open for just about a month now. There are still things that need to be worked out and many things to be tweaked in the coming months. If you don't want to experience it, Disney will always be there, but if you are looking for a level of detail and immersion Disney has not been able to provide here in Orlando, a trip to the Wizarding World should be in your plans.

SMRT-1

Original Poster
This is a Disney forum and there will always be people who say bad things about the competition without ever experiencing it, which is really a shame.

Whether or not you're a Potter fan or a Universal fan, there is simply no way an expansion like this can be written off as "nothing to worry about." What they were able to do here is something that completely blew me away. The level of immersion is like nothing I have experienced either at WDW or Disneyland. The closest thing I could compare it to, however, would be New Orleans Square at Disneyland.

Like New Orleans Square, my friends and I have spent hours walking around and taking in all of the atmosphere Wizarding World offers. There is so much to look at and piece together (Hermione's Time Turner is in one of the windows, daintily strewn about as if it has yet to be used) that I am always pointing out something new.

The shops are small, yes, but they are not meant to be warehouses. Part of the fun is squeezing past shelves to find more things around the corner. The shops in New Orleans Square are just as small, but the demand for Nightmare Before Christmas merchandise is not as high as the demand Golden Snitches, Sneakoscopes, Screaming YoYos, and Marauder's Maps, all of which you can only find in their respective stores within the Wizarding World. In fact, almost all of the merchandise here is custom made exclusive for the Wizarding World (including candy at Honeydukes) and all come in very nice, expertly designed packaging. In fact, finding a "Wizarding World" logo on anything is hard to do. You didn't buy that Fanged Flyer at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, you bought it at Zonko's Joke Shop.

And then to round out the land are three great attractions. The other two have received modest makeovers to theme them properly (something that was done right, even though the Dragon's queue is much more bare) but the main attraction, Forbidden Journey is unparalleled as it stands right now.

The ride is breathtaking, but I was way more impressed with the technology behind it. They created a thrill ride with the same loading capacity of that of Haunted Mansion. The unique ride vehicle, coupled with animatronics, special effects, and the soundtrack just provide an amazing experience. The inner-castle queue is so well done. Something that has annoyed me as of late from Disney is their unwillingness to theme any attraction ceilings. They leave spotlights, AC ducts, and all the inner workings exposed. As for Hogwarts, the only things that could possibly clue you into the fact that you are not in a real castle would be the exit signs.

There have been some problems with guests not being able to fit, yes, but that happens everywhere. There are some guests who can not fit on Rock 'n' Roller Coaster and there are some who can not fit on Forbidden Journey, but that's just the way it is. They certainly are not turning away every other guest, but there are some who just can't safely fit into the restraint system of the ride, which is pretty intense in movement. Safety will always be a number one priority.

All that said, Universal has seen these problems and are working to fix them. All doors of the shops were recently changed to swing out into the street instead of into the shops, making it easier for people inside. Several shelves in Honeydukes were restructured to make traffic flow easier. Extra Butterbeer and (appropriately themed) drink carts were added since opening, and the strong rumor is that Universal Creative is working on a larger vehicle for Forbidden Journey.

It has been open for just about a month now. There are still things that need to be worked out and many things to be tweaked in the coming months. If you don't want to experience it, Disney will always be there, but if you are looking for a level of detail and immersion Disney has not been able to provide here in Orlando, a trip to the Wizarding World should be in your plans.

well said! i really liked your point about the ceiling inside hogwarts... you really feel like you are in a castle..no question.

thelookingglass

What ISTCrew20 said.

I know absolutely nothing about Harry Potter, and I was still completely blown away by it on a level that Disney has not given me since maybe the first time I stepped foot in Animal Kingdom.

My only complaint about Forbidden Journey is the clumsy storytelling. The ride is breathtaking though, surprisingly thrilling and intense, and the technology behind it is absolutely amazing. The queue is probably the best designed queue since Tower of Terror. The ride just blew me away. More than anything Disney has done in at least 10 years.

They're not shoving Butterbeer down your throat anymore than Disney is shoving Coca Cola down your throat for having a giant Coke bottle. I heard about how good Butterbeer is through word of mouth, Universal doesn't advertise it.

Finally, the complaints about the land being cramped... it is, but no more so than the rest of Islands of Adventure. Remember that they didn't have much room to work with.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
With the blind brand loyalty exhibited here Disney advertising and marketing must be one of the easiest jobs going.

Having delivered Potter and to what appears to be standards that Disney used to set themselves, we are now left with the "ahh but" scratching around of fanboys desperate for something to whine about to deflect that Universal have up-ed their game since ownership has been more stable.

Its a theme park FFS, you dont get moved into better rooms for being blindly loyal to one corporate monster over another.

If Disney are returning to attraction specific merchandise then great about time.

And if management of any business is any good they will be taking pointers of what is working for the opposition. Though they do aim for a different age demographic.

ryno1982

Very unlikely that this happened. VERY. Universal CMs would be terminated on the spot for that sort of thing. People at Universal have lives, their existance is not based off bashing Disney. Sure, you'll have one or two CM's that'll make the occasional crack, but it's nothing offensive. Most of the people employed at Universal are just like the ones that are employed at Disney, they're just people trying to make some money.

And since employees of Universal made fun of you all day, did you go to guest services and inform them of this horrifying experience you had?

I completely disagree. I'd say it is pretty likely it happened. I can't even pay with a Disney credit card at Universal without some sort of harassment. It's usually in a joking sort of way, but after awhile it gets irritating. What's more unlikely is that Disney CMs would ever say anything to a guest wearing a Universal T shirt.

powlessfamily4

UNI vs WDW. Not evern on the same playing field if you ask me. I have been to UNI several times over the years. I always encouraged eveyone to go and bragged to people about what a great place UNI it was. This past June I went to WDW for the first time. I was completely blown away by the attractions, CMs, Resort services and the overall atmosphere of the parks. I can honestly say I probably may never go back to UNI. The last couple of trips were let downs and some of my favorite rides/attractions were removed and replaced by what I considered to be mediocre replacments. On the other hand, I have scheduled a short 3 day trip to WDW the week before Thanksgiving and a full 8 day WDW vacation for a year from now. Could I be feeling this way because it is all new, very possibly. However both my husband and I feel WDW is just leaps and bounds above UNI. I don't care about WWoHP. I personally don't have a fasicination with incantations and lightening bolts on foreheads, but hey, each to their own. I do know it won't be pulling me back any time soon. I think WDW obviously knows what they are doing to have the reputation that they have. You get what you pay for. If you want a $500 vacation, I suggest you go to Six Flags. Big wow factors cost big money and I personally think it is worth every dime.

Horizons1

I completely disagree. I'd say it is pretty likely it happened. I can't even pay with a Disney credit card at Universal without some sort of harassment. It's usually in a joking sort of way, but after awhile it gets irritating. What's more unlikely is that Disney CMs would ever say anything to a guest wearing a Universal T shirt.

I honestly can't believe that. I've worn Disney related clothing to Universal many times and NEVER have had any sort of problem what so ever. I can't imagine that actually happening just out of it being bad business practice. Bothering customers like that would drive them away, therefore decreasing profits. This is why I have a hard time believing you or anyone else was "ridiculed" for wearing Disney related merchandise.

cslafferty

I feel like comparing WDW to US/IoA is a little like comparing apples to oranges. They are both fruits, but . . .

US/IoA have awesome e-rides and thrilling coasters - if you're into thrill rides. When I went with my 3 kids - 9, 11, and 13 yrs old - they did not enjoy US/IoA nearly as much as WDW because they didn't like big coasters. Most of the attractions were too scary for them. I think the part they liked the best was ET and Seussville. In their words, it wasn't as "magical" as Disney. After spending 10 days at WDW, they were looking for a similar experience at US. We planned on spending 4 days there, but after one day, they voted to cut the trip short and go home. Now that they are older, they do like big thrill rides, and enjoy it much more. But, they go there to ride rides, not to have a "magical" experience. For that, they go to Disney.

I guess my point is they are both great theme parks, but are targetting different audiences.

Future Guy

Disney's not going to be concerned about Potter unless it starts taking sizable bites out of WDW's attendance. We can debate WWoHP's quality versus WDW's all day long, but the truth is that unless what Universal is doing starts to affect Disney's bottom line, they'll have no reason to do anything differently.

For the record, I think it would be nice if Universal emerged as a serious competitor to Disney. Competitive marketplaces are good ones for consumers.

thelookingglass

^Whether or not it will affect Disney's attendance (it won't make any significant difference) is besides the point. Why does that give Disney the excuse to lower their quality standards, leave their rides operating with bad show conditions, create mediocre-at-best new attractions, etc? Its really too bad that it won't affect Disney, because then maybe they would stop "sitting on their hands."
I don't care about WWoHP. I personally don't have a fasicination with incantations and lightening bolts on foreheads, but hey, each to their own. I do know it won't be pulling me back any time soon.
I didn't care about it either, and I was still blown away. You're honestly missing out on a great experience and a great ride, whether you care about Harry Potter or not.
I think WDW obviously knows what they are doing to have the reputation that they have. You get what you pay for. If you want a $500 vacation, I suggest you go to Six Flags. Big wow factors cost big money and I personally think it is worth every dime.
The reputation Disney has is from the standards they set and followed in the past. Those standards have taken a significant decline, but people will still keep coming because of the Disney brand loyalty.
I honestly can't believe that. I've worn Disney related clothing to Universal many times and NEVER have had any sort of problem what so ever. I can't imagine that actually happening just out of it being bad business practice. Bothering customers like that would drive them away, therefore decreasing profits. This is why I have a hard time believing you or anyone else was "ridiculed" for wearing Disney related merchandise.
Yes, exactly. They actually tell their Team Members not to joke about guests with Disney merchandise because they know that a good portion of their guests wouldn't be there if not for Disney. So outside of some friendly jabs, obviously meant to get you to laugh and not actually insult you, I doubt it happened.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Maybe I should have reported the Disney CM and his manager at the MK ticket booth window for refusing to give me my MVMCP tickets because I was wearing a Universal Lanyard and as a DVC member should have had more loyalty to Disney.

They were joking and I took it as such but I wasnt desperately trying to be offended by their actions. :shrug:

SMRT-1

Original Poster
UNI vs WDW. Not evern on the same playing field if you ask me. I have been to UNI several times over the years. I always encouraged eveyone to go and bragged to people about what a great place UNI it was. This past June I went to WDW for the first time. I was completely blown away by the attractions, CMs, Resort services and the overall atmosphere of the parks. I can honestly say I probably may never go back to UNI. The last couple of trips were let downs and some of my favorite rides/attractions were removed and replaced by what I considered to be mediocre replacments. On the other hand, I have scheduled a short 3 day trip to WDW the week before Thanksgiving and a full 8 day WDW vacation for a year from now. Could I be feeling this way because it is all new, very possibly. However both my husband and I feel WDW is just leaps and bounds above UNI. I don't care about WWoHP. I personally don't have a fasicination with incantations and lightening bolts on foreheads, but hey, each to their own. I do know it won't be pulling me back any time soon. I think WDW obviously knows what they are doing to have the reputation that they have. You get what you pay for. If you want a $500 vacation, I suggest you go to Six Flags. Big wow factors cost big money and I personally think it is worth every dime.

awesome! more room for the rest of us!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom