Wilderness Lodge DVC additions - Copper Creek Villas & Cabins

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Thursday, March 3. View from the monorail of the Wilderness Lodge DVC cabins construction site. The trees were removed months ago, now the ground leveling is taking place. I placed my photo here because (1) this thread seemed to be the original, and (2) the previous photos of the site from January just above.

IMG_7473.JPG

ToTBellHop

Wonder if any tall trees will be put into place to restore the 'wilderness' aspect of the resort once the bungalows are built. Seems as though they can't do anything without first clear-cutting everything.
Shorter trees will be planted and they'll be tall in 20 years.

majortom1981

That's a great shot which shows the level of detail that Disney used to put into their resorts which just isn't in the current DVC properties. They're really big and really plain. The only DVC I've ever liked was the first addition to the Lodge. Obviously the jury is still out on the current expansion, so I'm hoping they continue the trend at that property.

The second shot does a great job in showing the cold blue Chinese LED bulbs that have been installed on the watercraft, too. ;)

I think Kidani is really good detail wise. You can spend days at kidani just looking at the african art in the hallways. I don't know if they are stil ldoing it but they had a free tour that told you all about the hotel and its design.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The primary waterfront views of the Grand Flo - before and after DVC - from my formerly-beloved Polynesian.
View attachment 124627

Added-on DVC buildings, IMO, have been an aesthetic and architectural pox upon the Deluxe Resort areas.

I agree with your point, but, these two pictures are hardly a fair example. The top pic is processed, has better lighting, and is overall a much higher quality image. You are, essentially, rigging the comparison. Which I don't think you needed to do.

ToTBellHop

I agree with your point, but, these two pictures are hardly a fair example. The top pic is processed, has better lighting, and is overall a much higher quality image. You are, essentially, rigging the comparison. Which I don't think you needed to do.
Indeed. The actual view is inferior to days of yore, no doctoring necessary.

They should have just converted a building or two at the Grand. Too late now.

ToTBellHop

Doubt they will. Wilderness aspect isn't as important as the dollars they can now charge for a fireworks "view" ish
They are not, nor have they ever, charging extra for the "fireworks" view. In fact, that view has always come from the cheapest rooms at the Lodge. It is hardly a marketable view; just a nice plus if you look beyond the parking lot below. The bungalows, being low to the ground, will hardly offer an adequate view of the Magic Kingdom. On the other hand, from the 5th floor in the Lodge (again, standard view), I could clearly see the Astro Orbiter.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It depends on how many rooms they convert. In a previous discussion I think we figured out that they need to convert at least about 300 rooms to make it work for DVC. That's just under half the rooms at WL and on par with what they just did at Poly. If you have some time to kill check out this thread:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-spirited-8th-wonder-wdws-future-you.887031/

If you are a fan WL you may want to crack open a bottle of wine first.

Wine will not get it done you need something MUCH stronger... Grappa, Ouzo you get the picture.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
They are not, nor have they ever, charging extra for the "fireworks" view. In fact, that view has always come from the cheapest rooms at the Lodge. It is hardly a marketable view; just a nice plus if you look beyond the parking lot below. The bungalows, being low to the ground, will hardly offer an adequate view of the Magic Kingdom. On the other hand, from the 5th floor in the Lodge (again, standard view), I could clearly see the Astro Orbiter.

Not yet, Don't worry they will.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I have to agree that the DVC units are, for the most part, plain, and occasionally ugly. Even my beloved Kidani. What saves it is that from the interior it's to die for. You'd think they'd be able to match the existing structures.

They CAN, Disney CHOSE not to, Look at the GF how the details were left off the new building, The Poly well that hack job what can I say which has not been said already. I fear for the WL. And AKL is now on track to be 'de-themed' so instead of the awesome african inspired interiors we can look forward to rooms worthy of a Hilton Garden Inn. - But hey 'Economies of Scale' for DVC too bad it never shows up in our member fees.

optjay

No, they haven't charged for fireworks view but they do charge extra for Magic Kingdom view which this resort never had but now will with no wilderness around it. They can change the name to Lake and Magic Kingdom View Lodge?

ToTBellHop

No, they haven't charged for fireworks view but they do charge extra for Magic Kingdom view which this resort never had but now will with no wilderness around it. They can change the name to Lake and Magic Kingdom View Lodge?
There is no plan to switch the rooms with a view of a parking lot (and a castle in the distance) away from Standard view.

Trees can and will be replanted. Good grief. You'd think trees were never cleared and then replaced in construction projects. Were you astonished when the Fantasyland Expansion was all mud in 2010 and had tons of trees by 2014?

optjay

Apples, oranges.
Tons of trees? In all honesty, I don't see Fantasy land as Wilderness.
Just my opinion, but both the lodge, and villas aesthetics, and atmosphere will suffer irreparable harm from the clearing of the surrounding trees and brush

ToTBellHop

Apples, oranges.
Tons of trees? In all honesty, I don't see Fantasy land as Wilderness.
Just my opinion, but both the lodge, and villas aesthetics, and atmosphere will suffer irreparable harm from the clearing of the surrounding trees and brush
Walt Disney World suffered irreparable harm from the clearing of swamp in the late 1960s, too. Yet, somehow, DAK is lush.

You are making absurd claims over the removal of trees from a theme park resort. Wait til it is done to complain that they've ruined everything a la Poly.

Most of the trees in guest areas at Walt Disney World were planted by Disney.

Last edited:

Disvillain63

When WL first opened, we stayed in a room on the fourth floor on the MK side. Yes, we could see the fireworks because the trees were shorter. It was a nice perk, but they did NOT charge us extra for a Magic Kingdom view. Trees will most likely be replanted.

ToTBellHop

Did the smaller trees ruin the lodge for you?
I remember LOTS of complains back in the late 90s about how terrible the Lodge was and how it didn't feel foresty at all. People hated the Lodge until about 2009, when the trees were big enough, and then they liked the Lodge until 2015 when the trees left. It's had a tumultuous history. Just about the only thing anyone likes there is its Christmas tree for one month in 12. Otherwise, you're better off at Pop Century.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom