Wilderness Explorers @ DAK

Calvin Coolidge

Original Poster
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...coming-to-disneys-animal-kingdom-this-spring/

Disney Parks Blog announced today an Up-themed parkwide experience for Disney's Animal Kingdom.

We’re happy to announce that the Wilderness Explorers adventure organization is coming to Disney’s Animal Kingdom, with a planned opening this spring. Soon, guests can become Wilderness Explorers and experience the entire park using their field guides, completing challenges and earning badges as they go. With more than 30 badges available, Wilderness Explorers is fun for the whole family and helps guests experience Disney’s Animal Kingdom and its themes in a new and exciting way.
Stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for more information.

So, seems to be like Agent P/Kim Possible, but park-wide? Interesting idea for a band-aid over DAK's "nothing for kids to do" problem.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...coming-to-disneys-animal-kingdom-this-spring/

Disney Parks Blog announced today an Up-themed parkwide experience for Disney's Animal Kingdom.

So, seems to be like Agent P/Kim Possible, but park-wide? Interesting idea for a band-aid over DAK's "nothing for kids to do" problem.

They do something similar at DCA:

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dis...t_cmp=SOC-intDPFY11Q3wildnerness03-08-11@0002

It's not like Kim Possible, simpler and more low tech.

NewfieFan

Why is this necessary?

Animal Kingdom is interesting enough to explore without the use of another childish "interactive" experience.

But what's the harm? I doubt it will ruin any theming and it shouldn't affect any attractions. If it gets other people to explore AK and entertains the children... then bonus! At least it's something else to do and if you're not personally interested in it, maybe it will take a few people out of the queues of the rides you do enjoy.

I saw something like this tested back in Sept. of 2011 I believe. I didn't actually participate in it but I saw some displays and setups and I saw CM wearing the WE badge as well. We asked a CM about it and while she didn't give us much info she was surprised we noticed it and said she would pass that info on to her manager or something!?!

DonaldDoleWhip

But what's the harm? I doubt it will ruin any theming and it shouldn't affect any attractions. If it gets other people to explore AK and entertains the children... then bonus! At least it's something else to do and if you're not personally interested in it, maybe it will take a few people out of the queues of the rides you do enjoy.

I saw something like this tested back in Sept. of 2011 I believe. I didn't actually participate in it but I saw some displays and setups and I saw CM wearing the WE badge as well. We asked a CM about it and while she didn't give us much info she was surprised we noticed it and said she would pass that info on to her manager or something!?!
Agreed. Nobody is forced to participate in this, but as it stands, a lot of people spend very little time in Animal Kingdom. They experience the Safari, EE, and maybe Dinosaur or a show - then they leave. This might encourage families to appreciate the less-frequented trails of AK (like how Agent P gets families to explore the details of World Showcase). It might not be a big deal to me, but I appreciate how these games add some depth to many guests' park experience.

It would be very easy to whine about this: how it's not a ride, how it's just another little game geared to children, etc. But for what it is, I see no reason to criticize it. It's small, it's themed to "Up" (which deserves some park representation IMO), and it seems like a nice fit for AK.

TinkerBelle8878

I think this is cute because of the tie in to UP and all but in general, what's with all these games being rolled out? I've never gone to the parks and thought, oh a game would make this so much better. As a kid, I was just happy when a line moved, it wasn't crowded, and we were able to go on rides. I hope they're not eating up a lot of money that should be allocated elsewhere to maintenance and just fixing things that need fixing.

SirLink

I think this is cute because of the tie in to UP and all but in general, what's with all these games being rolled out? I've never gone to the parks and thought, oh a game would make this so much better. As a kid, I was just happy when a line moved, it wasn't crowded, and we were able to go on rides. I hope they're not eating up a lot of money that should be allocated elsewhere to maintenance and just fixing things that need fixing.

Personally coming from working in a video game studio ... they aren't games ... just scavenger hunts...
Well there was a plan at one stage they were going to add UP characters to the Wonder of Flight show so at least that didn't happen...

But this strikes me the same at Phineas and Furb stuff in Epcot ... it doesn't fit ... the park ... you know there is something more majestic than playing a scavenger hunt in the parks ... and that is viewing the animals.

bhg469

Personally coming from working in a video game studio ... they aren't games ... just scavenger hunts...
Well there was a plan at one stage they were going to add UP characters to the Wonder of Flight show so at least that didn't happen...

But this strikes me the same at Phineas and Furb stuff in Epcot ... it doesn't fit ... the park ... you know there is something more majestic than playing a scavenger hunt in the parks ... and that is viewing the animals.
Sorry I differ from your opinion but the world showcase was a great place for this type of attraction. If done well I think dak could be great as well. I preferred it as Kim possible since it fit better and the agent p voices drive me insane.

menamechris

It's an addition. I don't know why people complain about these things... If it's not your bag, don't do it.

I think the problem is that Disney promotes these as major additions to parks that need serious work and REAL attraction additions. Rather than seriously tackling that issue, management will view this as a fix. No doubt if there were an upcoming press conference, they would talk for 10-minutes about how this proves Disney is amazing, innovative, and listening to guest feedback about wanting fresh experiences. Ummm..no.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom