Why they REALLY cancelled Disney Magazine

prisoner

Original Poster
I recently saw this proposal for a new product from Disney:

A new annual publication boasting almost 200 pages of behind-the-scenes Disney scoop from the past year, created by the source of all the magic itself - Disney! From Walt Disney Picture's first fully computer-animated feature, "Chicken Little," to the worldwide celebration of Disneyland's Golden 50th Anniversary, "The Chronicles of Narnia" to the opening of Hong Kong Disneyland, the premiere edition of the book will cover all the excitement of 2005. You will also get a fond look back to the past with exclusive legacy stories and a sneak peak into Disney's future including "Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man's Chest" and the "Tarzan" stage musical. As an added bonus, the 2005 premiere edition will feature a review of this seminal year with the CEO succession of Bob Iger as well as a forward by outgoing CEO Michael Eisner. This publication will be available in both soft cover and collectible limited edition hard cover formats both featuring rich full-color photography throughout. The limited edition hard cover may also include a lithograph or illustrated certificate and special DVD featuring behind-the-scenes stories and interviews from the past year. A must for the Disney enthusiast

This would explain why they got rid of Disney Magazine - it would compete with this proposed idea which they could probably market and sell much easier.

Sure... its not exactly in competition... and sure, the book wouldn't drive future interest the same way the magazine did... but I can certainly see that some dim-witted, synergy-impaired, executive might have thought that it would.

I think both ideas were good, and I don't see why they couldn't be marketed together. The true Disney fans, the avid ones would subscribe to Disney Magazine (which they were already doing), and then they might purchase the yearly, but I'm sure less in-the-loop fans would purchase the yearly edition anyway.

prisoner

Original Poster
Jack Sparrow said:
I think both ideas were good, and I don't see why they couldn't be marketed together.

I'm not saying they couldn't - I'm saying someone might have thought they couldn't. This is the same kind of thinking that killed the Magic Kingdom Club and other efforts.

MKCustodial

ImaginEAR said:
That sounds coooool... But... 4 Magazines a year or 1 large book about Disney every year?

Well, since I had to cancel my subscription a few months prior to the end of the mag, because I wasn't getting my issues, I suppose it'll be a lot easier for me to just get a book month. Not to mention it may have a DVD! *drools*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom