Why no family dark rides at AK?

Glasgow

Original Poster
I was recently thinking about which rides I can go on with our DD (2) in December and starting listing out all of the dark rides at the parks; more specifically, family-style moving dark rides. Here is what I've come up with so far :

MK - PoTC, Splash (it's more family than thrill IMO), HM, IASW, PP, SWSA, TMAWTP, TTA (sort of), BL (sort of)
EP - Land, Soarin, UoE, RoT, Maelstrom, SSE, TSwNemo (clams)
DHS - GMR, TSM
AK - none

Again, these are not just dark rides but moving dark rides directed towards families. To me, family dark rides are the quintessential attraction for Disney so I can not understand why they would not at least have one at AK.

I know AK is more directed towards animals but it's still a theme park and it's definitely nahtazu ... Perhaps this has been discussed ad nauseum -- if so, please direct me to another thread/web article. If not, I'd really like to know if there is an official reason or if it's just happenstance ... discuss! :wave:

Club Cooloholic

There was one planned all around the evolution of various animals from single cell amebias, to fish, to salamanders etc...it would have gone from the dawn of time to dinosaurs to when mammels took over...but the whole thing was way too controversial because...well you can guess right SP.... so they built Triceratops Spin instead.

Wth, ygtbkm. IDK wut u R saying.

Really though, why do people use acronyms for everything here? I am not bashing the poster but is it that hard to type things out?

Not to mention that it takes me longer, not being a huge Disney fan, to figure out what half of those acronyms stand for... :)

Philo

Wth, ygtbkm. IDK wut u R saying.

Really though, why do people use acronyms for everything here? I am not bashing the poster but is it that hard to type things out?

Not to mention that it takes me longer, not being a huge Disney fan, to figure out what half of those acronyms stand for... :)

We hear that quite a lot. It's the nature of almost every forum on the net - people always come up with shorter versions of things to save time. You get to pick up on them pretty quick though and there is always a list found here: http://www.wdwmagic.com/acronyms.htm

Trust me, writing BTMRR or ITTBAB is much faster than writing Big Thunder Mountain Railroad or It's Tough to be a Bug!

Back to the original question, I hadn't really noticed this before. Dinosour is a dark ride but perhaps not family orientated nor 'classic Disney'.

gettingsmaller

How tall is your DD2? If she's under 40", there are several things that she won't be able to do (Soarin' and Splash Mountain, if I'm not mistaken).

As far as a dark ride at AK... I don't know why they don't have one, BUT there are things you can do as a family (Safari ride, Triceratop Spin, Conservation Station, It's Tough to Be a Bug, etc.). I know what you mean about family dark rides, but, for me, just having things that an entire family can do is a big part of what makes Disney Disney (and what makes it really fun).

We hear that quite a lot. It's the nature of almost every forum on the net - people always come up with shorter versions of things to save time. You get to pick up on them pretty quick though and there is always a list found here: http://www.wdwmagic.com/acronyms.htm

Trust me, writing BTMRR or ITTBAB is much faster than writing Big Thunder Mountain Railroad or It's Tough to be a Bug!

Back to the original question, I hadn't really noticed this before. Dinosour is a dark ride but perhaps not family orientated nor 'classic Disney'.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I am just comparing my experience with this forum to others that I have visited.

Personally, I would rather type Thunder than BTMRR. :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Give it time. The park didn`t go exactly to plan and the remedy package, whilst not nearly as big as DCA, was and is highly prioritised.

dove_

I think the reason there aren't more there is because it's less themed towards characters (which is kind of the main reason for the dark rides, most of them at least), and because they're trying to attract the huge crowds that will wait 5 hours for a 2 minute ride (like I've seen at cedar point :eek:). If the mouse was getting more income from the parks, they'd probably go ahead and make more dark rides like that.

Give it time. The park didn`t go exactly to plan and the remedy package, whilst not nearly as big as DCA, was and is highly prioritised.

Is this another coded hint? ;)

Adison Belle

MK - PoTC, Splash (it's more family than thrill IMO), HM, IASW, PP, SWSA, TMAWTP, TTA (sort of), BL (sort of)

I know what all the others are, but I have NO idea what SWSA, TMAWTP, or BL are and I couldn't find them on the acronym page.

HELP!!!

PS: I'm probably gonna feel really stupid when someone tells me...lol.:hammer:

Glasgow

Original Poster
I was mostly wondering if there was a specific decision by Imagineering to not do dark rides in AK (maybe to differentiate AK even further from the other parks) or if it just sort of happened that way. There is plenty to do for my daughter -- that's not an issue really.

The fact that there were no family style dark rides in the park just came to me by chance .. I'm not complaining certainly, I love the park. Just wondering is all..

And no, I don't personally consider Dinosaur (CTX - Countdown to Extinction :)) to be a family ride. As some people have commented (Marni, etc) I assume there might be one or two on the way.

BK anyone?? (shh, it's Disney's real Best Kept Secret) ... ;)

PS. SWSA - Snow White's Scary Adventure; TMAWTP - The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh; BL - Buzz Lightyear :)

PS#2 - http://www.wdwmagic.com/acronyms.htm

The Empress Lilly

I enjoy the parks having a different feel! AK is more about outdoors than indoor character dark rides. I wouldn't mind keeping it this way.

There is still plenty to do for young ones though, I would say. Definately suitable for families - from the petting zoo to Triceratops Spin.

As for acronyms, some are more obvious, or even sensical, than others. I myself used 'AK' above. This being an 'Animal Kingdom' thread, it is obvious. I did write 'Triceratops Spin' in full though.
Please have mercy on the non-fanatics like me! Spell the odd word out! :cry:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom