Why I like Aladdin's magic carpet ride, and other things

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Yeah I like it. What can I say? People complain it is out of place in Adventureland and perhaps it is a bit but other than Fantasyland where can it go? It has an exotic feel to it, just like Adventureland in general.

Here is why I like it? The line is rarely long, and it is an attraction. It keeps 50-75 people occupied (riders, and ones in the lines). Maybe that doesn't sound like a lot, but add a few more rides like that and it is. All of the sudden people are spread out a bit more throughout Magic Kingdom. Let's face it, 20 million people were there in 2016. It is about double either one of the other three parks. There is rarely a crowd problem I have experienced at the other three, but there is at Magic Kingdom.

This is why I also like Country Bear Jamboree. It is tucked away, it isn't big from the outside, it doesn't take up a lot of space but 100 people can sit in there every 14 minutes. Why ever get rid of it? Or when Snow White flew the coop to make room for the Mine Train. Why get rid of it? In favour of a meet and greet?

No, no, no. Magic Kingdom for whatever reason operates on a different level than Disneyland. With Disneyland they cram in a bunch of dark rides and it spreads things out a bit. Magic Kingdom has the space but less rides. Anything would help. Adding the swan rides again around the moat for example. So yeah, I prefer them adding more rides, even the sometimes unpopular Aladdin.

Well, it's certainly better than Na'vi River Journey. :joyfull:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Now there is a place we could put a spinner..........can you guess.....

DHS

wacky characters

MUPPETS SPINNER each car would be a diff character... each car would do diff things make diff sounds maybe one would shoot bubbles one would make sounds.... even a muppets marry go round.. their wackiness can make any ride zany

That would be acceptable and dare I say it... a good idea! Still a crappy ride but DHS needs a basic classic family ride. Good IP choice too!

The ride opened in 2001, in May I think. Was that during Eisner's reign?

It does have a whiff of Eisner about it doesn't it.

Last edited:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Idea for Replacement: (simplified) A modernized, enclosed Whipout-style ride + VR or screenz. Same footprint. Greater thrill level. Opportunity to introduce grander IPs in a story-driven attraction. It would be a self-contained darkride sim.

Before you discredit the idea :p The Whipout ride system while dated, can be programmable to the point where it resembles coaster banking, drops and basic, level omnimover-like movement. It's only fault is the inability to turn in a opposite direction, but with a little ingenuity Disney and Chance Rides could retool the ride to make the individual cabins rotate. As far as I know nothing has been done to take this classic carnival attraction and modernize it -- but it could be done. Certainly better than a basic spinner. What's interesting is that Chance Rides' website even states that the ride would make a good dark ride* possibly hinting at the ride's potential should a theme park like Disney ever tap into it.

Last edited:

CaptainJackNO

Yeah I like it. What can I say? People complain it is out of place in Adventureland and perhaps it is a bit but other than Fantasyland where can it go? It has an exotic feel to it, just like Adventureland in general.

Here is why I like it? The line is rarely long, and it is an attraction. It keeps 50-75 people occupied (riders, and ones in the lines). Maybe that doesn't sound like a lot, but add a few more rides like that and it is. All of the sudden people are spread out a bit more throughout Magic Kingdom. Let's face it, 20 million people were there in 2016. It is about double either one of the other three parks. There is rarely a crowd problem I have experienced at the other three, but there is at Magic Kingdom.

This is why I also like Country Bear Jamboree. It is tucked away, it isn't big from the outside, it doesn't take up a lot of space but 100 people can sit in there every 14 minutes. Why ever get rid of it? Or when Snow White flew the coop to make room for the Mine Train. Why get rid of it? In favour of a meet and greet?

No, no, no. Magic Kingdom for whatever reason operates on a different level than Disneyland. With Disneyland they cram in a bunch of dark rides and it spreads things out a bit. Magic Kingdom has the space but less rides. Anything would help. Adding the swan rides again around the moat for example. So yeah, I prefer them adding more rides, even the sometimes unpopular Aladdin.

I like it, too. And I don't find it all that out of place. Did they squeeze it in there, almost shoe-horned it in? Sure. But I love it, and I love it for one reason, and I will probably love it for this reason forever: This was my daughter's first WDW ride, and we rode it together when she was 3 years old and it was about midnight, not too crowded, you could hear the music from the area playing, get clear views of Cinderella Castle lit up in all its winter glory, and we got to ride it repeatedly that night. It's a memory, a Disney memory, that will stay with me forever. So, I love Aladdin's magic carpets. It's my and my daughter's ride. :)

Raineman

I like it, too. And I don't find it all that out of place. Did they squeeze it in there, almost shoe-horned it in? Sure. But I love it, and I love it for one reason, and I will probably love it for this reason forever: This was my daughter's first WDW ride, and we rode it together when she was 3 years old and it was about midnight, not too crowded, you could hear the music from the area playing, get clear views of Cinderella Castle lit up in all its winter glory, and we got to ride it repeatedly that night. It's a memory, a Disney memory, that will stay with me forever. So, I love Aladdin's magic carpets. It's my and my daughter's ride. :)
I can definitely respect that. The first ride my daughter ever experienced at WDW was the Prince Charming carousel, as strange as that sounds (MK was very busy that day, and we were waiting for our first FP). Every time we go now, even though my daughter isn't a young child anymore, we still ride the carousel together.

danyoung56

To the OP - I have a problem with your math. While 20 million people may have visited WDW in the past year, there were NOT 20 million people in the Magic Kingdom. Doing the math, that's almost 55,000 people a day. Now, we all know the parks are more crowded than they used to be. But 55,000 a day, every day at the MK? I just don't believe it.

MrHappy

New Aladdin Flying Carpet dark ride with new tech to open in front of Rat ride in Epcot.
Moana's Coutyard to replace spinner in Adventureland with MG and interactive stuff, adjacent to Moana Tiki Room or Restaurant.
My guess from varying posts with a dash of wishful thinking ;)

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster

I don't disagree with you. My first ride was Small World. My mom's friend insisted we ride it when we get into Magic Kingdom. To this day I always dart there as soon as I get under the castle.

May I ask what you were doing all day for your 3 year old's first ride to be at midnight on Aladdin?

To the OP - I have a problem with your math. While 20 million people may have visited WDW in the past year, there were NOT 20 million people in the Magic Kingdom. Doing the math, that's almost 55,000 people a day. Now, we all know the parks are more crowded than they used to be. But 55,000 a day, every day at the MK? I just don't believe it.

20 million people were at Magic Kingdom in 2016. More than any other theme park in the world. Epcot, DHS and Animal Kingdom are normally half that (9-11 million people annually)

NiarrNDisney

I support your right to an opinion I just don't agree with it. :D Aladdin doesn't fit the surroundings, it's in a horrible location and it's a lame use of IP. Sure it's another ride but it's also another damn spinner. MK needs varying rides; like the retired Swan boats you mentioned. Aladdin deserves a better ride type. Obviously a ride that's open regardless of ride type or IP is better than a ride that's closed or worse, removed. MK needs more rides but I don't think it needs more spinners. Seeing this replaced with something else would be A-OK to me. How can you like this thing!? lol

Honestly if its going to be a "Easy" cheesy carnival spinner ride at least consider a different type and not have 3 of the same kind in one park. Flik's Flyers, Golden Zephyr, or the Silly Symphony swings would at least be a different ride system and all are actually themed well for what they are. Variety is the spice of life they say so come on Mouse give your guests options!

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
One part of ride design is the queue. While Aladdin may not be the choice of IP, the design works in the space it occupies. Imagine a new C ticket there with a different design...where are those people going to wait? It would be worse than it is now.

danyoung56

I don't disagree with you. My first ride was Small World. My mom's friend insisted we ride it when we get into Magic Kingdom. To this day I always dart there as soon as I get under the castle.

May I ask what you were doing all day for your 3 year old's first ride to be at midnight on Aladdin?

20 million people were at Magic Kingdom in 2016.

I did a little research, and this appears to be the correct number. So I apologize for my post.

J_Carioca

I agree with you on Snow White SA, the Swan Boats, and the Country Bears. But the Aladdin ride ruins what another poster aptly described as the evocative atmosphere of Adventureland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom