Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

doctornick

Wow... Just wow.....

Glad to see Micechat's spies are now concurring with what was passed along to me the same night TPI went live with their story. Lots of heavy emphasis on "modest" in their article.

So, let's talk about "modest". Based on what we've seen so far, it looks like DHS is definitely going to lose the IJ stunt show, LMA, Backlot Tour, the SoA and possibly American Idol Experience and HISTK playground and potentially Muppetvision.

It seems like the gains are:
1. Star Wars speeder bike ride
2. Indoor Jedi Academy
3. Mos Eisley cantina
4. small family friendly ride (X-wing spinner?)
5. "Cars Land" minus the rockwork (food/merch)
6. Mater's ride
7. Cars dark ride (replacing RSR)

It seems to me that these are the bare bones of the expansion and are going to happen. Is that correct? Can we be fairly certain that this is the floor of what the expansion will bring? And, if so, when you say"modest" is that all we'll see or might there be some other stuff that might come out?

bubbles1812

So, let's talk about "modest". Based on what we've seen so far, it looks like DHS is definitely going to lose the IJ stunt show, LMA, Backlot Tour, the SoA and possibly American Idol Experience and HISTK playground and potentially Muppetvision.

2. Indoor Jedi Academy
3. Mos Eisley cantina
6. Mater's ride

It seems to me that these are the bare bones of the expansion and are going to happen. Is that correct? Can we be fairly certain that this is the floor of what the expansion will bring? And, if so, when you say"modest" is that all we'll see or might there be some other stuff that might come out?
I don't think there is certainty of ANY of that at this point. There is no "floor" as of yet. Honestly, looking at your list, Im skeptical of the amount of Star Wars in there, as that has seemed the part od the expansion plans that is most fluid. The only thing obvious to me is that there are multiple plans in play.

tmstephe

It's a Disneyland website. About Disneyland. And Al Lutz is the man who owns/runs it all. He doesn't cover WDW, and it's only mentioned in passing when it pertains to something happening at Disneyland.

It's a Disneyland website and there's plenty to cover at Disneyland and his audience eats it up, so he doesn't talk about WDW much. There's just no real need. Nor does he talk much about Sea World or Knott's Berry Farm or the price of tea in China.

Thank you, that's exactly the point I was making. His beat is DL, not WDW. I was simply adding the observation that Al tends to be neutral to negative about WDW on the occasions when he does mention anything on the east coast.

The Empress Lilly

2. Indoor Jedi Academy
3. Mos Eisley cantina
6. Mater's ride

It seems to me that these are the bare bones of the expansion
That's not an expansion, that's a shrinkification.

Seeing as how it wouldn't be a first, I'd wager TDO is going to sell the DHS replacements as expansions.

Pixiedustmaker

That's not an expansion, that's a shrinkification.

I seriously doubt Disney would take out that many rides/attractions at DHS all at once, and they almost certainly aren't going to take HISTA/MuppetVision as these areas appeal to young kids and hence are sorely needed attractions, and there is a second Muppet Movie on the way. With the failure of Lone Ranger, one newspaper article said that Disney will stick to known franchises, such as Star Wars, Marvel, and Muppets.

Remember that brass in charge doesn't want to see DHS take an attendance hit, as it would mean less profit. You can't take away 1/3 of the park and expect guests to be OK with massively increased lines. Here's the recent historical pattern of new theme park developments at Disney:

1. Carsland built on a backstage area/parking lot.
2. NFL built on land that wasn't being used for much, Dumbo very quickly moved and back in operation in months.
3. Avatarland going on basically empty/unused space in Avatarland.

Three big questions in the way of a massive DHS project, which some suit will ask:

1. Have you considered how this massive project will impact DHS? Can afford to watch DHS's attendance slip for 3-5 years? (Keep in mind that the brass often change positions every 3-5 years, they don't want it on their resume that DHS's attendance bombed during their time at the helm).
2. What do we gain besides a $1 billion dollar price tag that it will take DHS a while to make it back to profitability at its current level?
3. Why are we taking out Osbourne Lights? The show is popular, profitable, and has helped DHS, and the whole resort, bring in more business during the holidays . . .

G00fyDad

I seriously doubt Disney would take out that many rides/attractions at DHS all at once, and they almost certainly aren't going to take HISTA/MuppetVision as these areas appeal to young kids and hence are sorely needed attractions, and there is a second Muppet Movie on the way. With the failure of Lone Ranger, one newspaper article said that Disney will stick to known franchises, such as Star Wars, Marvel, and Muppets.

Remember that brass in charge doesn't want to see DHS take an attendance hit, as it would mean less profit. You can't take away 1/3 of the park and expect guests to be OK with massively increased lines. Here's the recent historical pattern of new theme park developments at Disney:

2. NFL built on land that wasn't being used for much, Dumbo very quickly moved and back in operation in months.

Two big questions in the way of a massive DHS project, which some suit will ask:

1. Have you considered how this massive project will impact DHS? Can afford to watch DHS's attendance slip for 3-5 years? (Keep in mind that the brass often change positions every 3-5 years, they don't want it on their resume that DHS's attendance bombed during their time at the helm).
2. What do we gain besides a $1 billion dollar price tag that it will take DHS a while to make it back to profitability at its current level?
3. Why are we taking out Osbourne Lights? The show is popular, profitable, and has helped DHS, and the whole resort, bring in more business during the holidays . . .

HISTA is in EPCOT. ;)

Skip

Three big questions in the way of a massive DHS project, which some suit will ask:

We get it. You think the rumors are bogus. Move on. Streets of America is just as unused as the land NFL was built on (and no, Osbourne Lights being used for 1.5 months a year does not count).

As for a park majorly under construction... they did it to DCA, if they have to they'll do it with here. I'd type out a longer reply, but you'll only reply to try and correct one inconsequential detail while ignoring the rest of the post.

bubbles1812

We get it. You think the rumors are bogus. Move on. Streets of America is just as unused as the land NFL was built on (and no, Osbourne Lights being used for 1.5 months a year does not count).

As for a park majorly under construction... they did it to DCA, if they have to they'll do it with here. I'd type out a longer reply, but you'll only reply to try and correct one inconsequential detail while ignoring the rest of the post.
And he will correct it in a novel length long post with random facts he only thinks support his argument when they actually don't. :)

spacemt354

Chili's
And he will correct it in a novel length long post with random facts he only thinks support his argument when they actually don't. :)

Say what you want, but at least pixiedustmaker produces sophisticated, detailed, and refreshingly respectful counter-arguments to fuel a discussion. I don't understand why people call this particular poster a troll. Just because he has a minority opinion and politely stands by his viewpoints with well-thought out retorts... that mean he should be put on ignore? If people just want to read to the same monotonous views through 80+ pages, then I guess ignore him. But I appreciate the effort put in. I might not agree with all of his views, but I hope pixie continues on posting, and I don't see how his facts don't support his arguments.

docnabox

I can't remember which DHS/Carlsand/ Star Wars Land thread I read it in but I had seen somewhere that some were speculating on the possible closure of the Sci-Fi as part of the possible upcoming changes. I was curious if anyone else out there had recently seen the USA Today article on the top 15 theme park restaurants. Coming in at #15 was the Sci-Fi.

I just thought it was interesting. We eat there most times we visit DHS. Have never been overwhelming impressed with the food but we do like the atmosphere for its uniqueness. I think some of you mentioned feeling the same way. I know they base no decision on an article from USA Today but just thought I would throw that out there in case anyone else had seen it.

pheneix

Original Poster
Define Modest in this context. Modest relative to DCA or modest relative to New Fantasyland.

Modest relative to neither. Disney will get more bang for their buck than New Fantasyland but this will not be a DCA-style makeover.

NFL: $+/-$400 million. I refuse to believe they spent this much but that is what all the data seems to indicate

DCA 2.0: $1+ billion

DHS Overhaul: <$600 million

I hope this post motivates shareholders the way @WDW1974 and I brought what is going down at SEAS to world's attention.

Taylor

Modest relative to neither. Disney will get more bang for their buck than New Fantasyland but this will not be a DCA-style makeover.

NFL: $+/-$400 million. I refuse to believe they spent this much but that is what all the data seems to indicate

DCA 2.0: $1+ billion

DHS Overhaul: <$600 million

I hope this post motivates shareholders the way @WDW1974 and I brought what is going down at SEAS to world's attention.
Now Star Wars will get the majority of that budget right? And there better be more then one ride for Pandora if that's the budget!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom