Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yes I see your points but I was just saying that in my opinion, Disney does not have to build huge expensive new I am wondering after Diagon Alley opens at USF, what would be next? Are they going to continue with building new rides every year or will there be a long break in construction like there was from nearly the past decade?.
Construction at that resort will probably continue for the next 8 years or so.

GLaDOS

Construction at that resort will probably continue for the next 8 years or so.

Yup.

2014: Diagon Alley
2015: Jurassic Park expansion (1, possibly 2, rides)
2014 or 15: IoA nighttime show
2016: Kidzone redo and/or Seuss addition

2017 on is fuzzy. But somewhere in there Toon Lagoon will be replaced, a water park is possible, and more hotels probably.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
At least the sources I know say the hat is finally going away.

sy59qu.jpg

At the current pace of Disney construction it should only take a few years to remove it and there will be a beautiful crane on site for said time frame to create that whimsical feeling of fantasy. Disney blogs can post behind the scenes pictures of Imagineers sporting their wood grain hard hats and surveying blue prints with expressions on their faces that indicate their passion and hopes of the magic sure to come! Its gonna be a great time for Disney fans. Is it 5:00 yet? I need a drink!

aladdin2007

At the current pace of Disney construction it should only take a few years to remove it and there will be a beautiful crane on site for said time frame to create that whimsical feeling of fantasy. Disney blogs can post behind the scenes pictures of Imagineers sporting their wood grain hard hats and surveying blue prints with expressions on their faces that indicate their passion and hopes of the magic sure to come! Its gonna be a great time for Disney fans. Is it 5:00 yet? I need a drink!

Id give anything for it to look like that again, the stage is just as bad and so is the tacky entertainment, I feel like Im at a bar or something and not at Disney, they have got to do better.

IWant2GoNow

Don't shoot the messenger! Still waiting to hear if NY Street will be spared and that Honey I Shrunk the Kids backlot set would be turned into a new building housing a "typical" NYC diner. Regardless, the rest of the streets of america are going bye bye.
*possible re-do map picture*
Thanks for the info!

I hope if this is the case that the "More Changes" section is reserved for a ride or two based on other Pixar franchises.

Goofyernmost

If I can find a way to hide an acetylene torch in my back pocket to get it through bag check, I will have that sucker down in a little over 5 minutes. They won't need cranes, by the time I get through, janitorial should be able to sweep it up. Just have to find a way to not let the torch fall out of my pocket.:eek:

Pixiedustmaker

Yes I see your points but I was just saying that in my opinion, Disney does not have to build huge expensive new lands to attract new guests to the park.

Toy Story Mania and Expedition Everest of just examples of how a single, high quality e-ticket ride on its own can bring in new guests. Is it really smart for them to built all new lands with new rides all at once or rather build great e-tickets every couple of years and retain guest interests over time.

. . .

Also the main problem I see with Star Wars Land and Cars Land is what relation do they play to the theme of the park? While we may want rides and new additions now, I would rather not have such a permanent addition that will compromise any chances of DHS regaining a solid theme.

Disney's m.o. with DHS, over the past many years, has been to add a big flashy new attraction to stir interest. Makes sense in that the park is kinda smallish, and they get media interest with even just an attraction added.

Expedition Everest is OK to good, in my book. It would have been awesome to have a larger themed area, with some D/C tickets in addition to Everest. I think the mountain also is too boxy . . . just enough to cover the coaster. But it worked to drive attendance at AK.

Comparing Carsland, versus a whole new Pixar attraction, maybe a combination roller coaster/dark ride . . . both would bring in a lot of guests. DHS is much more about 'Hollywood' than DCA will ever be, I'm kinda neutral on that theme, but I guess it makes sense to stay with it if that is what guests, and foreigners want. There are a lot of creative options open even with just that theme.

Magenta Panther

Ah, yes the magical crane. Its presence looms in the parks so prevalently these days that Disney ought to make a movie about it already - or rather, Pixar. They could call it "Cranes". :p

Magenta Panther

Thanks for the info!

I hope if this is the case that the "More Changes" section is reserved for a ride or two based on other Pixar franchises.

Yeah, that'd be okay, but I'd still love an attraction/ride based on Mickey, featuring Oswald, or the Disney Villains, or the best of Disney Feature Animation. Perhaps one focusing on the history of the animation studio. That could be amazing!

Magenta Panther

The difference between those and purchases like Pixar and Marvel is that they were not just about acquiring the stories but also the people (Pixar almost exclusively for the people as Disney essentially owned the films they distributed).

The REAL difference is that Walt and company adapted those stories and retold them and plussed them and make them the definitive version, as far as the rest of the world is concerned - and they did that with artistry, and ARTISTRY, not ACQUISITION, is what made Disney the gold standard when it comes to family entertainment. If Disney were to take the Muppets, say, and redesign them and give them new, better personalities (and god knows some of them could use it) and voices and new stories to tell (and not just rehashes, like the last movie was) and add good new characters and so on, well THEN I might allow that they're truly a Disney creation. But as they are, they're not, they're just some else's cast-offs (and "cast-off" is a fair term, given the fact that Jim Henson's own kids sold them at least twice).

Magenta Panther

Disney released "The Muppets" in 2011. it made $88 million at the box office and only cost $45 million to make. Not a bad haul before adding in the DVD sales

The DVD sales, as Iger himself admitted, were disappointing. And the box-office "haul" is a tricky thing to figure, if you use the usual Hollywood standard that a movie has to make at least twice its production budget in order to just break even - and that's if you actually KNOW what the production budget is.

I've had a feeling for some time now that the Muppet theaters in the parks were going to go bye-bye. If the movie had been a blockbuster, that might have saved them for a while. But a lackluster movie performance, low merch sales, AND attractions that are sparsely attended can only add up to one thing...eviction.

Let's hope Star Wars doesn't suffer a similar fate. Truly, only time will tell.

TP2000

The argument against Disney buying other peoples IP is bogus as even Walt himself used other people's creations to his advantage.

Snow White
Pinocchio
Cinderella
Alice in Wonderland
Peter Pan
Sleeping Beauty
Jungle Book
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
Winnie the Pooh

You forgot the biggest money maker Uncle Walt had after wooing the rights to another person's character: Mary Poppins.

That story is so interesting that there's a major movie coming out about it, "Saving Mr. Banks", about the multi-year work Walt Disney had to do to get the rights to P.L. Travers literary works on Mary Poppins. Ms. Travers was the J.K. Rowling of her day; passionate about her books, a tad eccentric, and untrusting of Disney as a company. But Walt finally won her over, got the rights to Mary Poppins, and the rest is history.

GiveMeTheMusic

You forgot the biggest money maker Uncle Walt had after wooing the rights to another person's character: Mary Poppins.

That story is so interesting that there's a major movie coming out about it, "Saving Mr. Banks", about the multi-year work Walt Disney had to do to get the rights to P.L. Travers literary works on Mary Poppins. Ms. Travers was the J.K. Rowling of her day; passionate about her books, a tad eccentric, and untrusting of Disney as a company. But Walt finally won her over, got the rights to Mary Poppins, and the rest is history.

What I want to know is, where the hell is the Mary Poppins E-Ticket DHS so desperately needs? I want an indoor, themed flying coaster where we fly from cloud to cloud reliving our favorite scenes at 65 MPH.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom