Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

Cesar R M

Disney coasters are GREAT........for little girls and grandmas. :D

Now, if you want a kick in the pants here in Central FL, I just rode Falcon's Fury (drop tower) a couple of times last week. Oh my, that's a ride!

1412156064844_wps_8_E24B4N_Testing_is_still_b.jpg
those are pretty generic and are everywhere o_O

*edit*
nevermind, I see the 90 angle attack now.

Not a fan after seeing the "Fly Swatter" ride at Houston's now defunct Six Flags.

ULPO46

My question about the rumored mass rebuild in DHS as well as the officially announced intention to change the name of the park that I still don't understand is, why in the first place don't they close DHS. Half of the park is under construction anyways. Why force people to pay full price if all that there is to do is Rockin Roll, TOT, ST, GMR, and TSMM. not to mention that their are three shows BAB, IJ, and LCA. Which there are persistent rumors that Disney will close LCA so that the entire backlot area can be remodeled to something else. I mean what was the purpose of closing the backlot tour. It was a fun attraction that took up plenty of space and time away from the park. I remember when it was much larger but hey times change. They took away the live announcer at the back eventually so I don't get what the cost was. My question is if Disney has all this money in the world, WHY ARE THEY TAKING FOR EVER TO REMODEL OR REBUILD any of their parks. I mean I don't really like to comment about Universal but they seem to be coming back with countless hits in a 840 square acre resort compared to Disney's 43 square miles or the nearly 27,258 square acres. I understand that no one wants to have a 5th gate built but this is a cheap, Half A** and lousy way to solve the problem of not having to build a 5th gate at the WDWR.

Cesar R M

I am a coaster junkie. Never met one I didn't like. That being said, EE is the only one I cannot ride all day long. And yeah, it's the backwards portion that does me in.
Once, no prob. Twice, pushing my luck. Three times in a row, and I'm popping Gravol, sipping water and sitting in the shade while the kids get soaked on KRR.

Body Wars and Star Tours however, make me quite ill. Being the good sport that I am, I ride ST with the family, but do not don the 3-D glasses, do not open my eyes (not even to peek), and drop my head as close to my knees as the restraint will allow. Yeah, I'm a trooper.
on Star Tours, I had a similar feeling after riding a bit.
I think the issue is, we do not feel any wind.. and the mechanical smell of hot oil (of the pneumatics used to move the device) is pretty strong.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
My question about the rumored mass rebuild in DHS as well as the officially announced intention to change the name of the park that I still don't understand is, why in the first place don't they close DHS. Half of the park is under construction anyways. Why force people to pay full price if all that there is to do is Rockin Roll, TOT, ST, GMR, and TSMM. not to mention that their are three shows BAB, IJ, and LCA. Which there are persistent rumors that Disney will close LCA so that the entire backlot area can be remodeled to something else. I mean what was the purpose of closing the backlot tour. It was a fun attraction that took up plenty of space and time away from the park. I remember when it was much larger but hey times change. They took away the live announcer at the back eventually so I don't get what the cost was. My question is if Disney has all this money in the world, WHY ARE THEY TAKING FOR EVER TO REMODEL OR REBUILD any of their parks. I mean I don't really like to comment about Universal but they seem to be coming back with countless hits in a 840 square acre resort compared to Disney's 43 square miles or the nearly 27,258 square acres. I understand that no one wants to have a 5th gate built but this is a cheap, Half A** and lousy way to solve the problem of not having to build a 5th gate at the WDWR.

Because even with all the closings, 10 million people still visited the park last year. Disney obviously believe it's is more economical to keep it open then to close it.

ULPO46

Because even with all the closings, 10 million people still visited the park last year. Disney obviously believe it's is more economical to keep it open then to close it.
Eh I just don't get the economics at this company. Sometimes it feels like it has become Rome, bought out everyone but is too big to know what it wants to do for it's future and to big and weak to protect any of it's investments. It's not just the parks division it's every last division from consumer products to the movies. Look at how big Jurassic World was, it hit Disney like crazy. Sure I believe that come December Star Wars the force awakens will crush the record set currently by Jurassic world but the possibilities of it being a flop are kind of high especially after how people feel about the lousy prequels. Disney has plenty of money but I feel that they don't want to invest it in the future that they are more afraid of spending it than they are of loosing it. That's why they are willing to charge full price and leave the park a major construction zone.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Eh I just don't get the economics at this company. Sometimes it feels like it has become Rome, bought out everyone but is too big to know what it wants to do for it's future and to big and weak to protect any of it's investments. It's not just the parks division it's every last division from consumer products to the movies. Look at how big Jurassic World was, it hit Disney like crazy. Sure I believe that come December Star Wars the force awakens will crush the record set currently by Jurassic world but the possibilities of it being a flop are kind of high especially after how people feel about the lousy prequels. Disney has plenty of money but I feel that they don't want to invest it in the future that they are more afraid of spending it than they are of loosing it. That's why they are willing to charge full price and leave the park a major construction zone.

The chances of Force Awakens being a flop are .0000000001 %. :)

Mike S

on Star Tours, I had a similar feeling after riding a bit.
I think the issue is, we do not feel any wind.. and the mechanical smell of hot oil (of the pneumatics used to move the device) is pretty strong.
Considering that you're inside you wouldn't feel wind anyway ;)

ULPO46

The chances of Force Awakens being a flop are .0000000001 %. :)
The fact that J.J.Abrams is directing them gives me some reassurance but is there a need for more star wars movies? It's like back to the future, don't make a remake of a classic. Leave it where we left off in Episode VI it was fine the empire fell leave it to the canon in books. It will be a success sure probably bring in a billion on opening weekend sure, but I just don't think Disney can pull it off.

ULPO46

Even if it sucks, it'll make $1b. Although I bet Iger would call JUST $1b a failure.
Won't it be weird to see Cinderella castle instead of the famous 20th Century fox intro. I still am in awe at how Disney bought Lucasfilm. I won't doubt that they can pull it off but it's just so weird to have Disney make the movie. Lets be honest they don't have many great Live Action films. Marvel doesn't count because it's produced by the Marvel Studios division and then distributed by the Walt Disney Company. This entire new Trilogy is being produced as well as distributed by Walt Disney Studios. I doubt it will be a John Carter but Disney so far doesn't have a great track record with live action films I think only the Pirates Saga can have that distinction as being successful both at the box office and popular opinion.

JWG

Won't it be weird to see Cinderella castle instead of the famous 20th Century fox intro. I still am in awe at how Disney bought Lucasfilm. I won't doubt that they can pull it off but it's just so weird to have Disney make the movie. Lets be honest they don't have many great Live Action films. Marvel doesn't count because it's produced by the Marvel Studios division and then distributed by the Walt Disney Company. This entire new Trilogy is being produced as well as distributed by Walt Disney Studios. I doubt it will be a John Carter but Disney so far doesn't have a great track record with live action films I think only the Pirates Saga can have that distinction as being successful both at the box office and popular opinion.

When you wish upon a.... da da da da da da....

Disneyhead'71

Oh now that I hear you! It started when I was in my early 20's - ever since then - if it spins, I skip it. Just can't do it. Hate it. Makes my stomach churn. I did a Tilt A Whirl ten years ago and I thought I was gonna die. I went to a regional park awhile back with my friends and they laughed at me because I won't do a lot of the "kiddie" rides because of it but I'll jump on anything big. They all get squeamish about water rides with drops, etc. - but I love them. Even one as steep as Jurassic Park - all over that, love it. But as you said - teacups? I don't think so haha.

(When I went to Disneyland, I just had to do Roger Rabbit as a massive dark ride fan, and thank goodness I was riding with a massage therapist who has extremely strong arm muscles so we could keep it from spinning so I could actually enjoy it haha.)

But roller coasters, most thrill rides - do nothing like that to me. But stick me on a carnie ride, and I'm done for! Interestingly, M:S doesn't really bother me though. Something about Everest, though...my niece loves it, and because of her complications in loading on the ride they have often allowed us to stay on multiple times (it saves everyone time, because it takes us a good couple of minutes to get her on and then off) I've done it twice in a row before - and I will for her - but if I went a third time, I'd be down for an hour after, LOL.
I'm such a ride junky I even like the bed spins.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The fact that J.J.Abrams is directing them gives me some reassurance but is there a need for more star wars movies? It's like back to the future, don't make a remake of a classic. Leave it where we left off in Episode VI it was fine the empire fell leave it to the canon in books. It will be a success sure probably bring in a billion on opening weekend sure, but I just don't think Disney can pull it off.

I felt the same way about Marvel, but they have done a great job with those movies.

ULPO46

I felt the same way about Marvel, but they have done a great job with those movies.
But the thing is Marvel makes it's own movies through it's marvel Studios. It's not the studio in Burbank. The studio in Burbank is the one that is making this Star Wars film. How ever back to the thought of DHS. The company intends to very loosely keep the theme of the park on Hollywood/ Film ideology. They will not be re-theming to something else. However the thought and name of a separate "studio" in Florida will be dropped out of the parks name. Again not a rumor but based on what has been spoken at business meetings as well as stock meetings with shareholders. No news on what the new name will be. Just that they will keep the same format. We can only speculate what they will do with a half empty park.

PorterRedkey

Do you feel wind in a car? Same thing would apply to the inside of a StarSpeeder I would imagine (if it were real).
They just blasts the AC in their face when driving so their body is not confused.
I think it is when the motion of the vehicle and the picture are out of sync that cause some people to feel sick.

FigmentJedi

The EU canon post-Jedi is full of garbage. Thrawn trilogy was one of the few good things in there. I'm glad Disney threw out all that crap with more doomsday weapons, edgelord BDSM aliens that kill Chewbacca with a moon, Palpatine clones, Zorba the Hutt, Palpatine's triclops kids, and more Sith.
It all just reeks of "Making it up as we go" and authors trying to one-up each other and it was just a mess. Hoping with Lucasfilm Story Group, we get consistency and less stupid stuff that goes off the rails. And hey, the popular EU characters will probably come back into canon with time.

mahnamahna101

Frozen Summer Fun is the only reason for that. The new exciting additions certainly aren't.

Plus, they're slated to close even more by the end of 2016
LMA
Magic of Disney Animation
Disney Junior
Mermaid
B&TB (possibly)
One Man's Dream

4 people-eating shows, a people-eating pavillion and a leisurely walkthrough (the kinds of attractions that give a park substance) all to be potentially closed in 1.5 years. Leaving 7-8 attractions (the two most popular having insanely bad capacity) to sustain 10m+ visitors. There's absolutely NO way DHS could feasibly hold 10 million with all of its people-eating shows removed. A decline will happen at some point unless TDO continues to master the way of the fudging.

TDO really ought to offer a $50 1-day ticket for DHS when it's only TSMM, Star Tours, GMR, Muppets, Frozen Sing-a-Long, ToT and RnRC (late 2017/early 2018)... they'd charge $95-100, even if MuppetVision was the only attraction, though...

BrerJon

Do you feel wind in a car? Same thing would apply to the inside of a StarSpeeder I would imagine (if it were real).

Now obviously you'd die if exposed to the vacuum of space, but one of the cool things about StormRider (the Star Tours equivalent at DisneySea) is when the sensor thing crashes through the roof, rain pours in and wind blows around the capsule, matching what's on screen... definitely adds to the illusion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom