• I don't like timeshares/clubs

Votes: 22 20.0%
  • Don't need/want all those perks.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 28 25.5%

• Total voters

Pioneer Hall

But they don't have sleeping setups for the 5th person. If I'm gonna spend that kind of money, I don't want someone sleeping on the floor.

See, this is where DVC for me in particular doesn't work. Maybe I wouldn't mind staying at AKV, but I've stayed at OKW and hated it, and have no desire to stay at BLT.

That's fine. Like I said, I wasn't saying it to persuade you, but to let others with 5 people that they do not need a 2 bedroom if they don't want it. To each their own when it comes to this...I stayed at OKW last month (in a 1br) and thought it was great. The room was plenty big for 5 people and had everything you could need. But, different strokes for different folks.

DisneyFamilyDad

Are you wondering about when you can use the points after you get a membership and what you can do with those points?

Yes. I would like to put the money toward a DVC. We could go on the vacation and then buy into DVC, but it would be nice to use the vacation money toward the vacation club.
Thanks to everyone helping out with my inquiries. This isn't a necessity so I'm really dragging my feet but I would love to have it.

disneyrcks

We could go over this time and time again, and we won't agree.

I see DVC as a good buy if you can purchase say 160-210 points, can pay it off up front, and be happy with the amount of days you can get out of it. For me, 210 points wouldn't suit my needs. I have 5 people in my family. We'd need a 2 bedroom villa. We go for 2 weeks in July or August. For the dates we're going next year, I'd need 810 points. True, I'm spending a lot of money by staying at the Polynesian, but this year, I can afford it. Next year, if I can't, I'll get 2 rooms at a Value Resort. 810 points, even on the resale market would run about $55,000 (at least).

I know I'm going to ________ some DVCers off here, but I think the one thing some of you simply refuse to understand is not all of us vacation the same way at the same time. I'm not saying DVC isn't flexible, but when you need at least a 2 bedroom ALL THE TIME, and you have to vacation during peak seasons, and you like to spend 2 weeks there, DVC isn't a "no-brainer".

U didn't ________ me off at all.....We love owning DVC and make it work for us.....As far as fitting 5 people...I think it depends on the people. Is it two adults and 3 kids...that is no problem and nobody has to sleep on the floor...If it is 3 adults and 2 kids...well then I can see why u would need a suite or two rooms. captkidd I have seen ur posts on other threads about how u feel like u may be staying off site due to the cost of the on property hotels. U stressed about ur upcoming trip on where to stay and have stated that in the future u may stay off site due to the cost...well for some DVC members we prefer on site and deluxe so the money put in is a "no brainer" for us....the $7000 u are paying at poly is pretty much what we paid for our 160 points. With those points we have made two to three trips per year. It has been great! I understand it may not work for your situation but people don't need to crap on it just because it isn't their thing...I would rather be DVC than stay offsite...to each their own!

captainkidd

U didn't ________ me off at all.....We love owning DVC and make it work for us.....As far as fitting 5 people...I think it depends on the people. Is it two adults and 3 kids...that is no problem and nobody has to sleep on the floor...If it is 3 adults and 2 kids...well then I can see why u would need a suite or two rooms. captkidd I have seen ur posts on other threads about how u feel like u may be staying off site due to the cost of the on property hotels. U stressed about ur upcoming trip on where to stay and have stated that in the future u may stay off site due to the cost...well for some DVC members we prefer on site and deluxe so the money put in is a "no brainer" for us....the $7000 u are paying at poly is pretty much what we paid for our 160 points. With those points we have made two to three trips per year. It has been great! I understand it may not work for your situation but people don't need to crap on it just because it isn't their thing...I would rather be DVC than stay offsite...to each their own!

I'm not "crapping" on DVC. I think for some people, it's a great idea. For instance, my best friend is married and has 1 child. For them - Perfect. Me, with 3 kids, including one who will be a teenager in a couple of years, it's not a good deal for us.

The choice to stay offsite is just that - A choice. I'm simply sick of Disney's overpriced hotel rooms.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I guess I am different than most. I have never stayed in less than a two bedroom (even with only 5 people, but have put as many as 9 people in a BLT 2-bedroom suite). I want space, love the kitchen, the washer/dryer, the wirlpool bath, and do not mind making my own bed.

If you could get something as big as a two-bedroom with a kitchen on WDW for five nights, I think it would cost me more than what I paid for the points I own.

Everyone is different and we have made trips with just a few people, as well as trips with my friends that are also DVC members where we had 35 people staying in five different suites (one being a grand villa at BW).

To each his own and being or not being a DVC member is totally ones choice. For me DVC provides the flexability to do what I want, when I want and getting more space if needed to bring more family and friends.

captainkidd

To each his own and being or not being a DVC member is totally ones choice. For me DVC provides the flexability to do what I want, when I want and getting more space if needed to bring more family and friends.

Agreed, but how is that different from not being part of DVC? We can do what we want, when we want and as many rooms as we need.

flavious27

Yes. I would like to put the money toward a DVC. We could go on the vacation and then buy into DVC, but it would be nice to use the vacation money toward the vacation club.
Thanks to everyone helping out with my inquiries. This isn't a necessity so I'm really dragging my feet but I would love to have it.

You can use them after your settlement.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Agreed, but how is that different from not being part of DVC? We can do what we want, when we want and as many rooms as we need.

For the type of rooms I want, an on park two bedroom with kitchen, DVC is a cost effective option that I can not get a the same cost any where on WDW. If you just staying in a hotel room than maybe you can pay less over the long run.

Pioneer Hall

For the type of rooms I want, an on park two bedroom with kitchen, DVC is a cost effective option that I can not get a the same cost any where on WDW. If you just staying in a hotel room than maybe you can pay less over the long run.

But you say it best in your post...it is good for what YOU want, just as I find it good for what I want. However, for CaptainKidd, he doesn't see it as good for what he wants. To each their own when it comes to something like this.

epcotWSC

DVC is great if you have the ability to go to Disney every year. I couldn't imagine going every year. My girlfriend's family has had DVC for like 15 years or so. This summer, her and I went to Italy. It was the first time since she was a kid that she hadn't gone to Disney in any year (her parents still went tho).

I mean if I could take a few vacations a year, then I wouldn't mind doing a week at Disney every year, but in today's world it's hard to get a more than 3 weeks off in a year unless you have at least 10 years in a company. For me, I'm the kind of person where if I don't take at least 2 weeks off in a row, I feel like the vacation was wasted. 1 week doesn't do it for me.

This coming summer I am doing my 12 days in Disney. The following year I won't go though. I can do every other year, I couldn't imagine doing more often anymore. That was after doing three years straight prior to it.

To buy in right now, the prices are outrageous for many people. It's not like it was when the program first started.

flavious27

DVC is great if you have the ability to go to Disney every year. I couldn't imagine going every year. My girlfriend's family has had DVC for like 15 years or so. This summer, her and I went to Italy. It was the first time since she was a kid that she hadn't gone to Disney in any year (her parents still went tho).

I mean if I could take a few vacations a year, then I wouldn't mind doing a week at Disney every year, but in today's world it's hard to get a more than 3 weeks off in a year unless you have at least 10 years in a company. For me, I'm the kind of person where if I don't take at least 2 weeks off in a row, I feel like the vacation was wasted. 1 week doesn't do it for me.

This coming summer I am doing my 12 days in Disney. The following year I won't go though. I can do every other year, I couldn't imagine doing more often anymore. That was after doing three years straight prior to it.

To buy in right now, the prices are outrageous for many people. It's not like it was when the program first started.

Well you can't bank and borrow points along being used throughout the country and world.

disneyrcks

I'm not "crapping" on DVC. I think for some people, it's a great idea. For instance, my best friend is married and has 1 child. For them - Perfect. Me, with 3 kids, including one who will be a teenager in a couple of years, it's not a good deal for us.

The choice to stay offsite is just that - A choice. I'm simply sick of Disney's overpriced hotel rooms.

Hey captkidd...I'm sorry should've been more clear...i know you weren't crapping on DVC....i meant sometimes people who haven't weighed the pros vs. cons, or know much about it just totally bash it. It's so weird. Also I don't know why I said we paid $7000 for 160 points ( I must have sampled too much eggnog lol) Maybe I was wishing that was true :ROFLOL:

77kool

I think DVC is a wonderful deal. However, we are waiting for our rental property to sell, then we will buy in. The contract I love at SSR mustn't be purchased! I do not mind no housekeeping, villa rooms, or any other "cons" you have mentioned. I have used an Excel spreadsheet, and we will save $$$$!!!

ddbowdoin

I like the concept of the DVC because in a way, it would force me to go away each year. My wife and I work a lot, and even though we have the funds, sometime life just gets in the way and keeps us from enjoying ourselves. Work, Work, Work... sometimes those things just block you and then you find yourself trying to plan something last minute and the deals arent there...

if I spent X amount of dollars up front, and a yearly fee, then I would know... every X month I am going to Disney, regardless of work.

Pioneer Hall

I like the concept of the DVC because in a way, it would force me to go away each year. My wife and I work a lot, and even though we have the funds, sometime life just gets in the way and keeps us from enjoying ourselves. Work, Work, Work... sometimes those things just block you and then you find yourself trying to plan something last minute and the deals arent there...

if I spent X amount of dollars up front, and a yearly fee, then I would know... every X month I am going to Disney, regardless of work.

I know a lot of people who purchase DVC (and other timeshares) for this reason. You give yourself an automatic burnout prevention method if you know you have to take vacation. Plus, you mentioned deals...DVC is a value over time. When the deals stop (as we are starting to see), DVC still will still be giving you what you paid for at the same price.

Pioneer Hall

I wish I could find someone selling off like a 5-10 year block, then it would be much more afforable.

The program doesn't allow for partial sales, because each purchase is a deeded piece of property. You hold your deed until the last year on your contract (in my case I will have DVC until 2057 when AKV is no longer under contract). There are a number of people who sell their contract early though on the resale market and you can them for a fraction of the cost that Disney is selling points for. Contracts at Saratoga Springs are being sold in the low 60's per point, and that resort will be active until 2054. Hilton Head and Vero Beach are available in the 40's with their 2042 expiration dates.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom