Why Disney is better than Universal and other amusement parks...

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
What do you expect at WDW?

Jimmy Thick- Um...

I agree, Disney is always going to be about strollers. I'm not a fan of navigating around them all but I did rent a stroller for a good ten years for my kids. The place is too vast for their little legs.

But I contend Disney notched this up themselves. Their original strollers were compact, the original strollers for rent at MGM were very compact. Going to the huge plastic strollers; what did they think was going to happen to the stroller corrals? Then to add insult to injury, jack the rental rate beyond gouging set the scene for guest to start to bring their own monster strollers or rent strollers and have them delivered to resorts. There were always strollers on transportation 25 years ago when I started renting from Disney but no where near the amount there is now. And Disney caused this all by themselves. If they stuck to a price that guests could swallow and purchased rental strollers that fit in their own corrals limitations better the stroller situation would not be nearly as bad as it is now.

This Disney could fix if they cared to. Have a stroller designed similar to the original narrow version and a modern step seat under the handle for second child as they tire. Rent it at an acceptable price. Start to limit the amount of strollers allowed per bus, like trains and buses do for bicycles in urban areas or like Disney limits carts per bus. Guests would go back to renting from Disney if it was an acceptable price. Unlikely Disney cares about fixing what they messed up.

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

Because they don't want to spend more money to go on the same rides they went on a decade ago?
Personally, I WISH I could spend money to revisit the same rides as ten (twenty) years ago. Horizons, WoM, Imagination, Toad, 20k, Snow White - all of them superior to their replacements. ;)

But, so as not to be negative about WDW (and disrupt this fun polite thread!), here's a brief list of some of my 'WDW is the best':
SSE. Unbeatable majesty and mystery. To state it my love for SSE in Jimmy Thicklish: the highlight of my last day at UNI was seeing SSE glimmer in the distance from the top of the inversion of RRRockit.
AA. Magnificent. Which theme park would dare a half hour show about history? Jimmy Thick - Wait, Transformers, what's that?
Star Tours II. Technical perfection. Not a movie franchise, but a deep epic saga that reveals the truth about man and the universe. Jimmy Thick - The Simpsons is soo 1990s.

The Empress Lilly

What's with the corporate cheerleading? Do we also have Wal-Mart lovers here???
This forum is subtitled 'An unoffical WDW fan site'. Providing a platform for WDW fandom is the very intent of this website.

You will find that Disney fans congregate in a WDWMagic forum, gun fans in GunWoundsAreMagic fora, and Manchester United fans in Man Ure fora. All commercially ran enterprises, with fans cheerleading these corporations and above all magically finding their way to the proper forum of their respective fanhoods.

Tony Perkis

I agree, Disney is always going to be about strollers. I'm not a fan of navigating around them all but I did rent a stroller for a good ten years for my kids. The place is too vast for their little legs.

But I contend Disney notched this up themselves. Their original strollers were compact, the original strollers for rent at MGM were very compact. Going to the huge plastic strollers; what did they think was going to happen to the stroller corrals? Then to add insult to injury, jack the rental rate beyond gouging set the scene for guest to start to bring their own monster strollers or rent strollers and have them delivered to resorts. There were always strollers on transportation 25 years ago when I started renting from Disney but no where near the amount there is now. And Disney caused this all by themselves. If they stuck to a price that guests could swallow and purchased rental strollers that fit in their own corrals limitations better the stroller situation would not be nearly as bad as it is now.

This Disney could fix if they cared to. Have a stroller designed similar to the original narrow version and a modern step seat under the handle for second child as they tire. Rent it at an acceptable price. Start to limit the amount of strollers allowed per bus, like trains and buses do for bicycles in urban areas or like Disney limits carts per bus. Guests would go back to renting from Disney if it was an acceptable price. Unlikely Disney cares about fixing what they messed up.

The mere presence of strollers does not bother me; that's a necessary evil whether its Universal, Six Flags, Cedar Point, or a state fair. It's the excessive clutter of strollers matched with the ridiculously size of those things.

alissafalco

Having 2 toddlers, a stroller is a necessity for us. We would not be able to go if we didn't have our stroller. Having that said, to improve the stroller problems I feel that the double WIDE strollers should be banned!! If you need a double it should be one seat behind the other, or the modern step seat under the other as you mentioned. If they just banned the double wides we would see a huge difference.

Tom Morrow

I may have only been to DLR on one vacation, but in that time one of the most noticeable differences was the clientele - hardly any ECVs, significantly less strollers (and children in general) no euro-trash, white trash, or south american tour groups, etc. Generally classier people all around.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I may have only been to DLR on one vacation, but in that time one of the most noticeable differences was the clientele - hardly any ECVs, significantly less strollers (and children in general) no euro-trash, white trash, or south american tour groups, etc. Generally classier people all around.
People are people.

This is at ToT at DCA.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Having 2 toddlers, a stroller is a necessity for us. We would not be able to go if we didn't have our stroller. Having that said, to improve the stroller problems I feel that the double WIDE strollers should be banned!! If you need a double it should be one seat behind the other, or the modern step seat under the other as you mentioned. If they just banned the double wides we would see a huge difference.
Exactly!!!

Runmyhorse

Personally, I WISH I could spend money to revisit the same rides as ten (twenty) years ago. Horizons, WoM, Imagination, Toad, 20k, Snow White - all of them superior to theirThough Iacements. ;)

But, so as not to be negative about WDW (and disrupt this fun polite thread!), here's a brief list of some of my 'WDW is the best':
SSE. Unbeatable majesty and mystery. To state it my love for SSE in Jimmy Thicklish: the highlight of my last day at UNI was seeing SSE glimmer in the distance from the top of the inversion of RRRockit.
AA. Magnificent. Which theme park would dare a half hour show about history? Jimmy Thick - Wait, Transformers, what's that?
Star Tours II. Technical perfection. Not a movie franchise, but a deep epic saga that reveals the truth about man and the universe. Jimmy Thick - The Simpsons is soo 1990s.

If you have no idea about transformers ride you must live under a rock. If you haven't rode it why knock it. Its one of the best rides out there .Just my opinion though. Though i love all disney rides too

Last edited:

BiffyClyro

For me personally, Disney and Universal are on par with each other. they are both brilliant parks.

Gotta say though, Universal food beats Disney's. More options, especially for vegetarians and some of their ticket prices are much more reasonable.

They both have their ups and downs but they are still equally as brilliant.

ABQ

The mere presence of strollers does not bother me; that's a necessary evil whether its Universal, Six Flags, Cedar Point, or a state fair. It's the excessive clutter of strollers matched with the ridiculously size of those things.
Theme parks imitating the real world. Theme park strollers are not dissimilar from super market parking lot Escalades, H3's, Suburban's etc...

As a parent or just as a visitor I would have never considered a stroller. Grand kids change everything! Meet and greets are very important and I ride rides I would have never considered before. Dumbo? Sure! The little race cars that only go 5 MPH but the kid can drive? Great Idea! The stroller is also a change. I carry the small fold up ones now. It carries one kid and other stuff like water. So yes, In a park with high family appeal there are now going to be a lot of strollers. Strollers are a lot like SUVs for parents of little ones.

This stroller thing is a little off topic but I think it does help answer the question:
Why Disney is better than Universal and other amusement parks...
Just look at the number of visitors and the number of strollers being used. It is a family trip. Yes UNI is doing much better and Sea World is a clean enjoyable place. I have a co worker from Chile who is looking forward to bringing the family to Sea World this year. So everyone wins. There are many very good choices in Orlando and more coming. Also, one has to consider missteps like NExtGen. It opens the doors for UNI and Sea World even wider.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom