why can't people get it straight!!

dixiegirl

Original Poster
please , i know i'm not the only one when talking to people and when talking about disney they refer to the magic kingdom as disney world....such as " so your first day your gonna go to disneyworld after you check in??" It takes all i have not to correct them.....or" so your going back to florida to do the disneyland thing again?"....anybody else run into these sort of comments ??? :hammer:

42 more days to go till i get my magical fix!!!

oh and live365 rocks!!!!

barnum42

All the time, to be honest it does not bother me. To the uninitiated "Disneyland" is a Disney theme park with a castle. I hear people say "I'm going to the Disneyland in Florida".

If they give enough of a toss, they are happy to be told the correct terms, and I'm happy to educate them :D

tigsmom

It doesn't bother me. My first trip in the 70's to Disneyworld consisted of...The Magic Kingdom! Thats all there was, so to some people it will always be just the MK and the other parks. :wave:

BRER STITCH

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah....I USED to find it strange, too, but does it really matter?

Chances are pretty good you know where they are going and what their intentions are when they are talking about it.

Just another side of the coin:

Over the years, I have almost become more annoyed with those who feel they need to educate everyone else on the matter. It's a vacation, after all. Not everyone needs or likes being corrected all the time on such trivial matters.

If they're all excited about their vacation and know how to get there, do they really need someobody correcting them about the name of the place they are going? NO. I just try to share their exictement and wish them well!

These things can be confusing to new Disney visitors, and frankly, they will figure it out in time without outside help.

It's all about the MAGIC...not the name......

:wave:

poohbear6103

It doesn't bother me either. Before I became a Disney-a-holic, I am sure I said the same kind of stuff. I may even say some incorrect things about other people's vacation spots that I haven't been to :) At the same time, I always find myself correcting them just so they know.

It happens with the California resort too. Ever since their expansion to two parks and DTD, people have found the transition to the name "The Disneyland Resort" a difficult one.

cj2me

It doesn't bother me. I guess because the first time I was there the Magic Kingdom was Disneyworld, besides in a child's eye the Magic Kingdom is Disneyworld to them. Everytime you are on the bus and you see the castle you hear the little kids scream there's Disneyworld.

Wilt Dasney

Just have a blast, I say. If you care to brush up on the official company line on everything, go for it...but it's not required to have fun.

A theme park, by any other name, would be just as expensive. :D

dixiegirl said:
please , i know i'm not the only one when talking to people and when talking about disney they refer to the magic kingdom as disney world....such as " so your first day your gonna go to disneyworld after you check in??" It takes all i have not to correct them.....or" so your going back to florida to do the disneyland thing again?"....anybody else run into these sort of comments ??? :hammer:
My friends and I went to WDW with my friend's mom, and she kept calling the MK Disney World, and I guess I didn't really get it at first. But then it kept getting on my nerves, and I was like, "Marie, dangit, look around, you're in Disney World RIGHT now, when we're at the resort, we're at Disney, when we're in EPCOT, we're in Disney..." But then she pointed out that when she was younger, MK was the only thing there, so that was Disney World to her. Which makes sense. Though it did still get on my nerves, haha, but we did finally break her of her habit.

lebeau

It doesn't bother me at all. I don't expect the average person to know anything at all about WDW. I can still remember back when I didn't know anything about it. And my wife thinks I'm crazy for having become as interested in WDW as I have.

I have a friend who insists on calling Star Wars either "Episode 4" or "A New Hope". While he is technically correct, it drives me nuts. To me, it's just Star Wars. He gets irritated that I don't specify which Star Wars movie I'm referring to, but he also knows which one I'm talking about because I'll call all the other ones by their full names.

MeTa

The best part is that you can pretty much call it whatever you want, it has its meaning for each individual. I know that I do the same thing, DisneyWorld is the MK.

As long as you don't call it DisneyLand. :hammer:

wannab@dis

TAC said:
I'm going down to Florida to see Disneyland, Walt's castle, that big golf ball thingie, Disney's zoo, and that park that has all the rides from the movies like Back to the Future, Jaws...

:lol:

can I tag along? :wave:

WDWBro

the only reason it irritates me when my friends ask if i'm going to disneyland in florida is that they obviously have never been there, and that's sad.

but this one time, one of my friends and I were arguing because he seriously thought universal was part of disney world

ArielBelle

More annoying to me is my friends (now mind you, I live in South Florida...3 hours away) think that IOA and UO are Disney! I say something about going to Disney and they say...ohhh I love the incredible hulk.

For them, who are all at least 20 years old...should know that Disney World is not only one park. Or think that Epcot/MGM is a theme park aside from the entire resort.

Oh well..I still love it!

PhilosophyMagic

It's not just about the name, though...

Because people think MK is "Disney World," they usually don't think that the other parks are part of WDW, making them believe that if they've gone to MK they've seen all of WDW, and thus believeing that WDW is a small place and not such a big deal, etc.

weluvtink

WDWBro said:
the only reason it irritates me when my friends ask if i'm going to disneyland in florida is that they obviously have never been there, and that's sad.

but this one time, one of my friends and I were arguing because he seriously thought universal was part of disney world
I was telling guests in my store about the different kinds of park tickets and what they included and the husband could not understand why he couldn't go to Universal with Disney tickets.

Another guest, same day in fact, wanted to make sure our tickets included Disney World. I tried to tell that the ticket she was looking at included the four main parks IN Disney World and she looked at me like I was crazy.

Normally I would not care what people call the different parks but when we sell tickets I want to make sure that they understand what's what. I don't want to be called and yelled at because they can't use their tickets at Sea World.

lebeau

weluvtink said:
I was telling guests in my store about the different kinds of park tickets and what they included and the husband could not understand why he couldn't go to Universal with Disney tickets.

Another guest, same day in fact, wanted to make sure our tickets included Disney World. I tried to tell that the ticket she was looking at included the four main parks IN Disney World and she looked at me like I was crazy.

Normally I would not care what people call the different parks but when we sell tickets I want to make sure that they understand what's what. I don't want to be called and yelled at because they can't use their tickets at Sea World.

Okay, I can definitely understand THAT! I run into every day in my line of work, but I'm dealing with people's retirment accounts. It's amazing to me that people put money into their 401k but call it a 41OK and don't know what it is for.

artdude323

If everyone were a Disney expert, you wouldn't be special, would you?

You also wouldn't be able to get into ANY of the parks, because everyone else would be there too. So why not let them live in ignorant bliss of the Disney minutae and be satisfied with the fact that you know something they don't? If you get past their not being an expert on YOUR hobby, you might see that you probably know nothing about THEIR hobby either.

I know it's hard to believe, but there is something out there besides the 40 square miles in Orlando. I'll wait while you sit down and recover from that thought.

It's getting funnier by the day listening to people here insist that everyone do things the way they do them - know the same things, not post about something that was talked about before, stop writing because they feel compelled to read every single thread, what happened to worrying about yourself and how you affect others before you worry about how they affect you?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom