Who uses WAZE for direction assistance...

Goofyernmost

Original Poster
Something I have been unable to get an answer about. I have used Waze for quite a few years. I use it via phone/Bluetooth in my car and it worked well for a long time. Recently it stopped broadcasting the directions through the car speakers. Everything else seems to be fine. The map appears and follows my progress and it even mostly pauses the sound of radio or other sources when one would usually hear the spoken directions but nothing is heard. When the time elapses where the voice would normally be heard the other sources come on to regular volume.

I have pushed every button I can think of (which admittedly is very few) and have had no luck in dealing with it. I have deleted the site and reloaded it, per suggestions, with absolutely no change to the process. The one thing that was weird to me was that the site came back on my phone with all the information that I already had before. I have also tried to contact Waze and have had no luck. I'm starting to think they are run out of the CIA. The one time I thought I found a link to them I never got an answer.

Anyone had this happen? If so how was it corrected?

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Something I have been unable to get an answer about. I have used Waze for quite a few years. I use it via phone/Bluetooth in my car and it worked well for a long time. Recently it stopped broadcasting the directions through the car speakers. Everything else seems to be fine. The map appears and follows my progress and it even mostly pauses the sound of radio or other sources when one would usually hear the spoken directions but nothing is heard. When the time elapses where the voice would normally be heard the other sources come on to regular volume.

I have pushed every button I can think of (which admittedly is very few) and have had no luck in dealing with it. I have deleted the site and reloaded it, per suggestions, with absolutely no change to the process. The one thing that was weird to me was that the site came back on my phone with all the information that I already had before. I have also tried to contact Waze and have had no luck. I'm starting to think they are run out of the CIA. The one time I thought I found a link to them I never got an answer.

I think @JenniferS uses waze

Goofyernmost

Original Poster
I do. All day every day.

I was going to suggest uninstalling the app and then reinstalling, but you’ve already done that.

Make sure you have voice direction turned on. Mine is deliberately set to alerts only.

View attachment 727761
I don't understand that setting. Alerts only... what in the pluperfect hell does that mean. You can set in three different directions. There is off......Alerts only......on. other than off, what difference is there. What is the definition of Alerts only? What else is there. If you don't have that illuminated do you idle chat about the weather or Blue Jay scores? What else is on besides alerts? I took it to mean that I had to click ON, but then the highlighted Alerts only just becomes normal type. I also felt the Alerts Only just let me know when there was an accident ahead, or a police car or a ginormous pothole. Or is that for every spoken thing including warnings and directions like turn left in 2 Kilometers. In other words should it just be the Alert Only that is illuminated and then the Off or On part has no meaning at all?

Right under that is a sound output area where you can decide between three choices..
1. Device default What is the default?

2. Play on phone speaker

3. Play as Bluetooth phone call

I have it on that last one. Because that would seem to be what I want.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Alerts only means voice commands warning me about railroad crossings, red light cameras, cops, and vehicles and objects on road.

Maybe check a YouTube video or two?

Goofyernmost

Original Poster
Alerts only means voice commands warning me about railroad crossings, red light cameras, cops, and vehicles and objects on road.

Maybe check a YouTube video or two?
I would have if I had known that there were any. So what you are saying is that it has no bearing on directions, just warnings? I'll see if I can find some You Tube things about it. Thanks for your help,

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

I use it all the time on Android (I don't do fruit phones) and it's a Google application.

Screenshot_20230701_214541_Waze.jpg

Lilofan

Goofyernmost

Original Poster
@Goofyernmost , here you go! ;) (Well, at least until your Waze gets fixed.)

You know MinnieM you are probably going enjoy the 21st century when you get here. 😉 Kidding aside though, I find myself bewildered about how we found our way around pre-cell phone. I drove all over the place with just a map which was good for major highways, but city stuff was much harder to see and GPS pinpoints and not just generally tell you where you are. I really don't remember how we managed to drive and read a map all at the same time.

I do remember that once I had been someplace I always knew how to get there again without help. Now there are places that I drive to regularly with a friend and I honestly do not remember how to get to them. I generally know, but not specifically. I guess I just don't see the need to remember it anymore. It's either that or after 75 years my brain has reached capacity for storage. I wonder if there is an app that lets you delete phone numbers from 1980 to make room for more useful information. Or maybe even get the theme song for Green Acres out of my mind to make more space.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
So what you are saying is that it has no bearing on directions, just warnings?
Yes, “alerts only” means you only get warnings announced, not the turn-by-turn directions.

My husband has the same problem as you in his 2016 Chevrolet Trax, it wont announce the turn by turn even when it’s set to that. The Bluetooth connection in that car is weird, it tries to phone the car with each instruction, so we make sure it’s on iPhone speaker for the audio delivery. Maybe try that instead of Bluetooth.

Seems to me you’ve done all the same things to try to fix that we have done, with the same lack of success. I’m beginning to wonder if it’s the “operating system” of the cars audio system being outdated or needing an upgrade, or perhaps a (not-so)recent update to Waze caused a conflict with the car‘s audio system.

Edit: I’ve just been corrected. His phone is not being connected to the cars audio system, because his cat doesn’t have Apple Car Play. It’s not plugged in to the USB port, just the power in the “cigarette lighter”. So it’s nothing to do with lack of updates to the car’s operating system. I connect my phone to my 2016 Honda Civic, which does have CarPlay, and I get Waze graphics on the dashboard screen, and sound (turn by turn if it’s on, alerts only if I’ve set that when going somewhere I know how to get to, like work or home) through the car speakers.

So it’s probably his phone.

Sorry, that’s probably not helpful at all after my edit, but at least you know now “it’s not just you”.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Original Poster
I did figure out that if I set it to "Play on Bluetooth phone call" I will get the voice directions via my car speakers. It is totally weird. I wish I could get a response from Waze itself, but it must be completely run by machines with no human involvement. The voice directions and alerts are more important than the map anyway with less distraction. I wonder if this problem exists due to the merger with Google Maps.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom