Who still pays rack rates?

durangojim

I was discussing with my wife the fact that for the last 5 years (and going 2-4x per year) we have not paid rack rates. We've received AAA or more often AP discounts on each visit. Granted at the time we either had no kids or our children have not been old enough to be in school so we've been able to go during value or regular season, but I'm wondering how many people still pay rack rates without getting some form of discount?

Philo

Unless the dscount is included in the package (14 day ticket for the price of 7 etc) then we pay rack rate. Coming from the UK, there aren't a whole lot of discounts available.

Upvote 0

lighteningqueen

Guess that would be me.. I cannot even get free dining pin codes or codes for anything else. Dec last year all dates around us got special rates and dining free, How do you get them without joining AAA and spending a fortune on them every month for not using them for any services????

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

I was discussing with my wife the fact that for the last 5 years (and going 2-4x per year) we have not paid rack rates. We've received AAA or more often AP discounts on each visit. Granted at the time we either had no kids or our children have not been old enough to be in school so we've been able to go during value or regular season, but I'm wondering how many people still pay rack rates without getting some form of discount?

You need to realize that the number of people that frequent these boards is a VERY small percentage of the total number of travelers to WDW.

The All Ears newsletter has approximately 110,000 readers, I believe the MouseSavers newsletter has about 90,000ish. DISboards have 223,000 members....

About 17 million people visit the Magic Kingdom each year.

For AAA and AP and other rates, Disney only will allocate a certain percentage of promotional rooms for sale.

In other words, I would say that at least half of all rooms, if not more, are filled with those who pay rack rates.

-Joe

Upvote 0

durangojim

Original Poster
Guess that would be me.. I cannot even get free dining pin codes or codes for anything else. Dec last year all dates around us got special rates and dining free, How do you get them without joining AAA and spending a fortune on them every month for not using them for any services????

We pay $72 per year for a AAA membership, there is no monthly fee. I'm not sure if the price is the same in Texas as it is in Michigan, but it might be worth looking into. Average AAA discount is 10-20% depending on type of resort and season, so it's usually our back up if we can't get an AP or other discount.

Just looked at the AAA Texas website. To join for the first year it would be $71 then $51 for each year after that. No too much money in my opinion if it could save you some at the parks.

Upvote 0

durangojim

Original Poster
You need to realize that the number of people that frequent these boards is a VERY small percentage of the total number of travelers to WDW.

The All Ears newsletter has approximately 110,000 readers, I believe the MouseSavers newsletter has about 90,000ish. DISboards have 223,000 members....

About 17 million people visit the Magic Kingdom each year.

For AAA and AP and other rates, Disney only will allocate a certain percentage of promotional rooms for sale.

In other words, I would say that at least half of all rooms, if not more, are filled with those who pay rack rates.

-Joe

I understand that, but also on the Disneyworld.com homepage, they have a link for specials that list many of the discounts available to the general public. With the abundance of offers (free dining, 4/3, etc) it just seems like there's a lot of opportunity out there for everyone to save.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

I understand that, but also on the Disneyworld.com homepage, they have a link for specials that list many of the discounts available to the general public. With the abundance of offers (free dining, 4/3, etc) it just seems like there's a lot of opportunity out there for everyone to save.

There are plenty of opportunities, I agree with you, but not everyone is aware of them.

If you call Disney on the phone to book a trip - UNLESS you know what to ask for, the CM will not offer discounts to you.

As a travel agent, I am very aware of the discounts - but I find it amazing that many of my friends and family and acquaintances have booked rack rate trips - they are very thankful when I tell them of how they can save money.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

How the **** much is AAA in your neck of the woods? If I were to break it down on a per-month basis, it'd cost me somewhere between 4 and 6 dollars. If I needed one tow in the cost of a month, I'd come out ahead, and that's not counting every other discount available by being a member.

Upvote 0

Phonedave

I am suprised that anybody pays rack rates.

There are a host of discounts out there, all it takes a little looking.

Unless you are locked into a specific date for your vacation and your cannot move it a week or two. In that case I can see people having to pay rack rates.

-dave

Upvote 0

I_heart_Tigger

What qualifies as a rack rate...is it only the highest rate for a hotel room in the highest season or would the standard rate for mid to low seasons be considered rack rates as well?

For example, my previous vacation was during march break because that's when all the kids and relatives who are teachers could go so I would assume we paid rack rates then since we did not have an AP, CAA or other discount code.

My next trip is in late August so the room rates are in the mid-season range and I get free dining. Since the rate for the room is lower is that rack rate? Also, if someone is getting free dining but paying full price for the room, wouldn't that be rack rate (though i assume they don't do free dining in high season)

Just wondering if anyone would mind clarifying so I understand. But honestly, I'm sure I've paid rack rates...a couple of years ago I won $2500 in a contest and booked a Disney trip and left 3 weeks later, I gurantee we paid rack rates then, it was high season and I just wanted to go regardless of the cost.

Upvote 0

timeman

I paid rack rate when I went in April. I was only there for two nights so the offers they had wouldn't help any and the discounted rates that they had for the public didn't help me because they were not offered for the days I was staying. I don't have AAA because I don't need it as my insurance company gives me any roadside help I need for my car. There is nothing wrong with paying rack rates as even the discounts they offer are of limited availability and only for certain dates.

I stayed at Pop Century in April and did check about a bounce back offer for when I would be coming this summer, but the dates for the bounce back offer were not for the time I needed, so I am staying off site, but very close and am paying less.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You would be surprised at how many people do. Most of the people in the Disney online community know about all of the different programs but the rest of the public is fairly ignorant to them.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

What qualifies as a rack rate...is it only the highest rate for a hotel room in the highest season or would the standard rate for mid to low seasons be considered rack rates as well?

Rack rate = non-discounted rate...in other words, when Disney releases the rates for the next year in August, those are the set rack rates.

Upvote 0

I_heart_Tigger

Rack rate = non-discounted rate...in other words, when Disney releases the rates for the next year in August, those are the set rack rates.

That's what I thought...in that case I would say I almost always pay rack rates. I have done the free dining a few times but that isn't a discount on the room. I don't have an AP or CAA, not eligible for CARP (yet?), no student discount, no FLA resident discount.

Any discount for semi-professional makeup artists who knit? I'll get that one.

So in answer to the question who pays rack rates...people who can't get a discount but choose to go to WDW anyway

Upvote 0

Phonedave

You would be surprised at how many people do. Most of the people in the Disney online community know about all of the different programs but the rest of the public is fairly ignorant to them.

Ten years or so I would have understood that.

But anybody who has access to a computer and the internet - such as at home, work, your local library - can Google "WDW discounts"

Heck, before I make any major purchases - Disney or otherwise - I Google "XXXXX discounts" I am not saying people will take the time to research and get the absolute biggest discount, but with all the WDW discounts out there, they should stand a pretty good chance of getting something.

There used to be a college scholarship search company that would do that for a fee, again before computers. You filled out a very extensive profile and sent it to them with something like $50. If you were a left handed, pole vaulter, with red hair of Flemish descent, they found a scholarship that you were most likely the only one who qualified for. Since the internet has become mainstream, I have not seen those ads as much.

-dave

-dave

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That's what I thought...in that case I would say I almost always pay rack rates. I have done the free dining a few times but that isn't a discount on the room. I don't have an AP or CAA, not eligible for CARP (yet?), no student discount, no FLA resident discount.

Any discount for semi-professional makeup artists who knit? I'll get that one.

So in answer to the question who pays rack rates...people who can't get a discount but choose to go to WDW anyway
There sure is.:D Next time you are planning a trip send me an email and we will see what we can work out.

Upvote 0

durangojim

Original Poster
Ten years or so I would have understood that.

But anybody who has access to a computer and the internet - such as at home, work, your local library - can Google "WDW discounts"

Heck, before I make any major purchases - Disney or otherwise - I Google "XXXXX discounts" I am not saying people will take the time to research and get the absolute biggest discount, but with all the WDW discounts out there, they should stand a pretty good chance of getting something.

There used to be a college scholarship search company that would do that for a fee, again before computers. You filled out a very extensive profile and sent it to them with something like $50. If you were a left handed, pole vaulter, with red hair of Flemish descent, they found a scholarship that you were most likely the only one who qualified for. Since the internet has become mainstream, I have not seen those ads as much.

-dave

-dave

+1
Before I buy anthing over about $50 I check the net to see who has the best price. For how little effort it takes to do so I'm surprised more people don't use the net as a research tool.

Upvote 0

toystorymaniacs

Many Disney offers are open to anyone, free dinning, buy 4 get 3, you might need to be a little more flexible with your dates.

Upvote 0

meekoman

My family and my sister and her boyfriend have stayed on Disney property the last several years. She gets discount offers and other stuff almost weekly in the mail. I don't because I book through my travel agent who gets me great airfare. I could still book the hotel on my own, but prefer to patronize her since times have been getting tougher on travel agencies.
Does anyone else notice this happen with them?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom