Whispering Canyon Cafe Menu Change

DonaldDoleWhip

Original Poster
They still have the quinoa cakes as well as other veg options, they just arent printed on the menu
But since the quinoa cakes are now merely a vegetarian alternative to the skillet (instead of a separately priced à la carte entree), they probably cost the same as the skillet. Who would pay $33 to have some quinoa cakes, when they cost $16 before?

B Shull

Well
I been pondering over this for a couple of days. I've talked to the kids (who have not been to WCC before) who can't decide about the platter and say they prefer to order from a group of choices so I have made my choice.
I am keeping my ADR for 4 to the WCC even if the kids don't to go( Ages 27 and 30 ) and myself and the wife will go by ourself. I have always had a great time there and get the skillet every time. I think the added choices to the platter will make more appealing to the masses as they settle down over the shock over the change. I am hungary now. Can't wait.
30 days to Disney!!!!!!

mom2of2

It wouldnt be $33 just for the cakes. It would also include the veg and potatoes, cornbread and dessert. The cakes are replacment for the meat.

I could ask some WCC servers I know

DonaldDoleWhip

Original Poster
It wouldnt be $33 just for the cakes. It would also include the veg and potatoes, cornbread and dessert. The cakes are replacment for the meat.

I could ask some WCC servers I know
I know it's not just for the quinoa cakes. But when I could've gone there and gotten them for less than half the price (when that was all I wanted), dinner just doesn't make financial sense. $33 could get me two fantastic appetizers (or even an entree) at a signature restaurant, and I don't think the antics at WCC especially warrant a price premium. I'm not even a vegetarian - I just thought that dish sounded pretty good. But to pay $33 primarily for that dish would be outrageous (even considering that Disney food is overpriced in general).

DonaldDoleWhip

Original Poster
Well? It's the right thing, based on the desires of (likely) 85-90% of the people that go to WC. It's not going to be the right thing for absolutely everyone. Consider the poor Head Chef.... he's trying to please all of the People, all of the time :) - and all he has to work with are the cold statistics of his restaurant. Can't do it - someone is going to be less happy.
The thing is, if 85-90% of people ordered the skillet (which I believe is a high estimate), that means 10-15% of people didn't. These people are spread out among the parties dining there, so there's a very high chance that any party of 4-8 people will have at least one person who didn't want the skillet. And considering how much menu research people conduct these days (to ensure that they choose places everyone in the family will like), I think WCC is no longer a reasonable option for a lot of families. Just look at this thread - a lot of people have already decided to cancel, and clearly there are people (who don't check these sites) who will be unpleasantly surprised when they arrive at the restaurant. That said, I don't see this menu change being reversed, but I still think the backlash is deserved.

DonaldDoleWhip

Original Poster
AP is VERY LIKELY a far better Dinner choice. But I would toss this out.... consider Citrico's at the GF. MUCH better, and very easy to get to. Grab an AK or DTD return buss at the WL. Be sure to ask, "are you stopping at the GF next?". They MAY change the routes, but TODAY, they generally do. Grab Buss, hit Citrico's, return via monorail to MK/buss or boat to WL. Much better dinner :).
Oh, I've been to Citricos. And California Grill, Narcoossee's, Flying Fish, Yachtsman, Jiko, Brown Derby, Bistro de Paris, bluezoo, and Il Mulino. In fact, I've been to all the resort signatures several times. AP and Jiko are my favorites. ;)

Artist Point is my favorite place to dine because of the innovative, seasonal cuisine inspired by the Pacific Northwest. The food is very unique and creative, and it incorporates flavors that I love.

Oak-smoked venison carpaccio with Washington State cherries, drunken goat cheese, fennel, and shaved black truffle - yum

IMG_5409.jpg

Pan-roasted Pacific Halibut with summer corn and chèvre porridge, caramelized rapini, black Mission fig relish, and cabernet vinaigrette - fantastic

IMG_5410.jpg

The signature berry cobbler with fresh berries and house-made black raspberry ice cream is always a hit

IMG_0625.jpg

In comparison, the food at Citricos is kind of boring, IMO. It's elegant and nicely presented, but I can find more interesting (and cheaper) Mediterranean fare at home. We all have different opinions - I just wanted to share mine of Artist Point. :D

DonaldDoleWhip

Original Poster
ARGH! The new "cobbler in a bucket" :(. Here is what the REAL Cobbler should be returned to... it WAS wonderful :(.

033104_001ND_2436.jpg
It definitely looks amazing there. But considering at one point the cobbler looked like this (and tasted extremely generic):

IMG_7343-1.jpg

I can appreciate the current one for at least tasting delicious and incorporating fresh berries. :)

stlbobby

WCC was originally just the skillet option. The al a cart was only added in the last 5 years or so--I'm not really sure, maybe someone knows the exact date. You used to come in and they would just start bringing you food.

I still have a personalized menu they gave out at the check-in desk, from way back in the day. The choices changed somewhat seasonally so they printed the choices for that day and put your party's name on it. It looked like a stylized Western wanted sign or posting. It was fun and really efficient service.

I think they just added the al a cart to try and please a few more guests, but realized they were queering their original intent.

I think it is a good thing because whenever a restaurant, whether at WDW or in the real world, tries to please too many people they lose focus and don't do anything well.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
WCC was originally just the skillet option. The al a cart was only added in the last 5 years or so--I'm not really sure, maybe someone knows the exact date. You used to come in and they would just start bringing you food.

I still have a personalized menu they gave out at the check-in desk, from way back in the day. The choices changed somewhat seasonally so they printed the choices for that day and put your party's name on it. It looked like a stylized Western wanted sign or posting. It was fun and really efficient service.

I think they just added the al a cart to try and please a few more guests, but realized they were queering their original intent.

I think it is a good thing because whenever a restaurant, whether at WDW or in the real world, tries to please too many people they lose focus and don't do anything well.
This.^^^^
When I break down all of my favorite resturants around town the ones at the top of this list do one thing and do it very well.

FitzherbertFreak

That's so good to hear. I am scary excited to eat there. My husband and I love pizza and we're always chasing that authentic taste.
Oh you won't be disappointed! I've eaten there 3 times (so far), and my family are loud Italians :p We love it. For dessert I recommend the Zeppole Di Catarina. They're heaven! :D

DonaldDoleWhip

Original Poster
spoke to a WCC server and vegan and vegetarian meals are available on request and are at al la carte prices
Thank you very much for the news - for vegetarians, I definitely think that's fair. But it raises more questions - is dessert still included for a vegetarian? If a party of 4 includes one vegetarian, will dessert cost extra for the one person who didn't pay for the 'family platter'? What about a party that solely consists of vegetarians - how much will dessert cost on top of the vegetarian entrees? Honestly, I think the new pricing scheme is ridiculously confusing. It would help if dessert were separately priced from the skillet. It would also help if the vegetarian entrees were actually listed on the menu (instead of being something you have to request, price unseen). Hopefully these kinks will be worked out soon.

bunnyman

The thing I don't like is that with two teenage daughters, who really don't eat that much to begin with, dinner for our family of 4 will be $32.99 x 4. Way too steep in my book. That's more and more the problem with WDW's shrinking menus...with kids older than kid's menus and not really eating full adult pwortions, you get ripped off! We often stay at WL, and while wife and I may get skillet, the kids never would.

jklakeview

I just don't like that they removed pulled pork from the former skillet. A wilderness smokey place like that should offer brisket and pulled pork on the platter if you ask me.

kasey1988

Ate here last night with the new menu. Food was very yummy and plentiful. We got to pick three meats to start , then could choose the others we didn't try for seconds. Disappointed they didn't have pulled pork tho. I will post pictures when I do my trip report! Btw, the desserts were awesome! The jalapeño cheesecake was surprisingly refreshing, American cake and the cranberry/apple cake all good as well!

bgraham34

This is not appealing to us for dinner. We will miss the a la carte options for sure. This was always a good option for us with dinner if we were staying at the lodge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom