Which Stroller?

Ashlie Gowitzka

Original Poster
We will be flying to WDW in March with my then 2 1/2 year old son. We know we want to bring a stroller - so that is not the question. My question is which stroller should we bring? We have three different types of stroller. He is currently 37.5" and 39lbs. So, between his size, the amount of walking we'll be doing, items I'm sure we'll buy, and him eventually needing a nap I'd like some other parents opinions about which one would be best suited for our trip. I've attached a link to strollers that are similar to ours.

Cosco Umbria (basically a "supped up" umbrella stroller)
Graco (came with our travel system)
Jogger (which is typically my stroller of choice)

We went to CA to visit my parents when he was 5 months old, using the Graco stroller. The airline broke some of the smaller pieces off the stroller - even though we gate checked it. It is still very usable though. So I am slightly afraid of the airline breaking the jogger stroller too. We live near an amusement park and visit it often in the summer, and there I use the jogger.

HouCuseChickie

I wouldn't risk your jogger with the airlines. They used to be really good about gate checking, but I hear more and more horror stories these days.

I used to have a Graco Quattro Tour and loved it for outings like this. i.e. it's very comfortable for the child due to its various recline positions, padding, and shade...it had well designed/positioned cup holders for parent and child...and the cargo area was nice and roomy. I loved being able to stuff my back pack or diaper bag in there along with other random things like shopping bags...among other things. I also loved how easily mine collapsed and it was so comfortable to push it. I mean- the thing turned so easily with one hand and handled curbs like a dream. That being said...it's still a large and heavy stroller- especially for the buses. That's where the Cosco becomes a real consideration. Every child is different and my kids were no good in an umbrella stroller, but if your son would be good in one all day, if yours is comfy for you to push all day...you might consider it since it would make bus time a breeze and be lighter to push.

Welcome to WDW Magic! :)

Britt

This is what we used and it was absolutely fantastic! I mostly used a Moby wrap or sling wrap, but when we didn't, we used this.

Favorite features is that it's TALL, so you're not bending over while pushing it. Im only 5'4", but some umbrella strollers make you bend over while pushing which is hard on you.
It could NOT be easier to fold down. And it folds UP instead of down, which makes carrying it so easy (on/off busses/ferries.
It is sooooo light, which also makes carrying easy
It steers realllly well, which is important in crowds.
It fits up to 50 lbs, we haven't even come close to maxing the weight. My 2 year old is 20 lbs. We've kind of phased strollers out, but this is great to keep in the car for an impromptu zoo trip...lol

SOOOO, my advice...buy a new stroller ; ) haha

http://www.amazon.com/The-First-Yea...57232439&sr=8-1&keywords=first+years+stroller

SAV

I agree with the buy a new one advice.(Taken from a different thread on this same topic)

(http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3994452)...a Baby Trend Trendsport. It was much smaller than the travel system, but had the sun shade, tray, reclining seat, basket and was super durable. It actually became our primary stroller and lasted through 2 kids and multiple trips to WDW and everywhere else.

ExtinctJenn

Until DS6 was about 3 we brought along our Graco stroller on every trip. Between the ability to lie him down if he wanted to nap, the fact that it had a cover and the foot rest etc., and the fact that it had the huge compartment underneath to put stuff in... it was just the best choice for us. Once he was old enough to really walk for a large chunk of the day as well as old enough to eat from any TS or QS we went to (when he was a toddler we'd bring in food/drinks that we kept in the stroller) we switched to an umbrella stroller. We actually got the one they sell on property that has the small sunshade and the cup holder etc. It's just a tiny bit more padded than a typical umbrella as well.

Now all that said, we've driven for every trip we've taken since he was born so I can't speak to the difficulties of bringing along the Graco on the plane but I can say that I've seen plenty of people do it, leave it at the door right before boarding, and then pick it up when they deplaned (never having to check the stroller and chance it).

Ashlie Gowitzka

Original Poster
Thanks! I will look in to these! I really don't use my umbrella stroller much since the tray is a PITA to use (I actually have to take it all the way off to sit my son in the stroller), which leaves him without a cup holder (that doesn't fit cups very well anyway). Plus, I always feel like I'm hunched over pushing it - and I'm only 5' 5"....and I often kick the bar for the back wheels. I appreciate any more recommendations that come my way, if I do end up purchasing a new stroller, it probably won't be until next month.

NewfieFan

If you're relying on bussing I wouldn't take either. The Graco and jogger are too big to be lugging on and off busses. The umbrella stroller is great but you may want something a little better and they don't push the best through crowds. We had a similar stroller (a "supped up umbrella") and an umbrella on our first trip with a 3 year old and a 14 mth old. Never again!!! It was after that trip that we bought not one but TWO Combi strollers. We pretty much only used them on vacations but certainly got our money's worth. I recommend the stroller to everyone who's traveling.
Here it is on the Canadian Sears site... http://www.sears.ca/product/combi-flare-stroller/632-000582601-7247112

melmood2000

For 3 years and 3 trips to disney we have used a chicco lightway it is a supped up umbrella stroller it folds totally up however it is reclinable. Has a cup holder and has a higher handle then most umbrellas. If you are using the disney bus system a stroller that folds up small makes a much easier experience on the bus. The only down fall was the sun shade however I packed a towel to give more shade when my daughter would be laying down.

journ116

If I had to choose between the 3 you already own, I'd pick the Cosco Umbria one, and here's why:

-It's the easiest to transport. Between the airline and the busses at WDW, you'll want something lightweight. And, if gets broken, it's not terribly expensive to replace.

If you really, really want to add another stroller to your "travel" collection, I second NEWIEFAN's recommendation:

-I own one and have been using it for 4 years for 2 daughters. It's incredibly easy to fold up, is light weight, and can be pushed with one hand. But, there is a catch: the wheels can sometimes get "stuck," typically just one (my sister and I both have had that problem, but it's nothing that can't be straightened out in a moment).

If you really, really, really don't feel like carting a stroller (or choose to use your Cosco one specifically for airport travel), I'd look into renting one from either:

-Kingdom Strollers: just rented from them and was very happy with the condition of the stroller and service.

-Magic Strollers: rented from them almost 2 years ago, and was very happy with condition and service.

-Orlando Strollers: never rented from them, but have heard good things.

Renting could be cheaper than buying a new stroller just for your trip to WDW...plus, it gives you a chance to "test drive" some of the nicest strollers on the market: City Mini's (which is why all of these sites have them as a staple).

One last thing: will your son be using a car seat on the plane? Our youngest, who is 3 y.o., 36" & 29 lbs. (a peanut), has used one since she was 1, and for our most recent trip, instead of carting a stroller and car seat thru the airport, I bought a "car seat trolley" by Brica. Best investment ever!!!
http://www.amazon.com/Brica-Roll-Ca...357258567&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=brica+trolley

Happy Travels!

Ashlie Gowitzka

Original Poster
Thanks for all of your help!!! I ended up ordering the First Years Ignite. A slightly beefier version of the Jet, but it got much better reviews. It was also a little more than I planned on paying (if I was to buy a new stroller), but I think we'll be able to get more than our moneys worth with future vacations & future children. Thanks again - your opinions & helpful tips were great!

MouseGear

We always rent from Theme Park Strollers. $144 for 14 nights and its ours for the two weeks and we just hand it back. That price also includes accidental damage/Lost. As mentioned by someone else before, we always carry an umbrella and/or towel for extra shade

@Britt, thanks for your suggestion above! I have been stroller shopping FOREVER, and have finally decided on a First Years Ignite thanks to your post. My husband and I are freakishly tall, and apparently this stroller works well for us ogres. ;)

BigRedDad

We started off with a travel system and dumped it quickly. I could not stand it. After searching for the best option, we wound up getting a suped up umbrella stroller. It was the MacLaren Tehcno XLR. The good thing is it folded nicely and was easy to travel with. It was also our "luggage" holder in the parks. This will be our first trip without a stroller and I now have to plan to have no "luggage" to pack mule around the parks.

If I were doing it all over again and I did not need a stroller for the airport, I would rent from one of the local companies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom