Which DVC Resorts to try?

mprewitt

Original Poster
Our first visit to WDW was May 2007, when we stayed at the Grand Floridian. The only DVC locations we've actually seen are SSR (during the DVC tour) and AKV (when we visited AKL).

We are a couple without any children. We plan on going to WDW any time except June-August. We bought 210 points at AKV and 40 points at VWL. We'll probably stay in a 1-BR for most visits.

Our favorite parks are, in order: 1) Magic Kingdom, 2) Epcot, 3) Animal Kingom, 4) Disney-MGM Studios.

Based on that, can you recommend which DVC resorts we should try in the future, and why (theming, location, etc). I assume we will first stay at AKV, followed by VWL. Are there other resorts that we should consider for future visits to WDW?

Thanks in advance to all who respond with their recommendations!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I would recomend trying each resort out at some point in time. We bought into DVC a couple of years ago with 250, then added 130 last year. We have stayed at SSR twice and VWL once. We are looking at staying at OKW in October. I think my favorite so far is VWL simply because I like the "rustic" atmosphere and feeling that you are actually out in the middle of nowhere. Disney did a real good job of making that resort feel secluded.

Enjoy your many trips to come!!!

DisneyPhD

As hakunamatata said, try them all. You've got 50 years or so. Since MK is your favorite, you might try VWL which has the boat to get you there. We like BCV because of the awesome pool and short walk to Epcot and the boat to the Studios. That's really great when you've got two sleeping kids in the stroller at the end of a long day and you don't have to get them out to get on a bus, just simply stroll them home and put them to bed (I know you don't have kids but this is a big deal for us). BWV is just about half way in between Epcot and Studios so walking to either is pretty easy. You already know some of the benefits of AKV although what they have planned for the new section, Kidani Village looks really impressive.

GoofyforWDW

I agree with the other replies you will need to try them all then you can decide the one if any you prefer and use that more in the future.
They all have different benefits and it will depend on what you enjoy as individuals.
OKW is great becasue its so relaxed and laid back, its quiet so if you want to just chill out this would be good resort. They have a boat to downtown disney which is really nice especially in the evenings, or you can actually even walk there.
SSR, I have not stayed there but hired some bikes form OKW and rode there and I think is similar to OKW, resort is spread over large area and seemed quiet and relaxed from what we saw.
At both of these resorts your room can be a long way from reception, the general store and food facilities as they are in smaller blocks spread out rather than 1 large building holding all rooms.
BWV is great as there is a good variety of places to eat and seems to be a buzz about the place. Also great benefit of walking to Epcot and MGM.
BCV have not stayed at but have visited and the pool is fantastic, again you can walk to parks which is great bonus.
Wilderness Lodge, love thd look of but haven't really explored so cant comment on this one. If MK is your fav place this would be good resort to try.
AKL staying there in November for 7 nights so will know more then but have visited for dinner reservations Pool is fantastic, great atmosphere and definately a buzz there. Good resturants.
Hope this helps but I think you will need to try each one and make your own opinions. Just another excuse for more vacations!! :sohappy:

Have fun

slappy magoo

Our favorite parks are, in order: 1) Magic Kingdom, 2) Epcot, 3) Animal Kingom, 4) Disney-MGM Studios.

Based on that, can you recommend which DVC resorts we should try in the future, and why (theming, location, etc).

Based on that order, I'd say go visit DVC resorts in this order

1: VWL
2: Beach Club Villas
3: AKV
4: Boardwalk Villas

And when/if you have problems getting in those resorts, sub OKW or SSR. Or, you can split vacations up,spend half in one and half in another.

Honestly, they all have great things going for them, and with OKW and SSR, the main thing going for both of them is a sense of seclusion. Even though both are boat or walk away from Downtown Disney, they feel more isolated. Which is why I think they'd be great for the last few days of a vacation, when you might want to wind down a little bit.

Blonde Princess

Our home resort is Beach Club. We are a family of four; however, my husband and I do visit without our children. After your AKV and VWL trips I would visit the Boardwalk Villas. The access to EPCOT and Boardwalk area at night are the best. The pool bar is probably the best (equal with the one at AKL). If you go either request a Boardwalk view ( fyi it is noisy) or a view of the Quiet Pool and Community Hall (very quiet) Nothing beats walking home from EPCOT after dinner or illuminations.

After that I would visit Saratoga Springs. Although it is a distance from MK, it is close to DTD, has a pathway to DTD and a boat. When we have stayed there it is a different type of Disney vacation, more adult in many ways. I would request a room at either of the SPRINGS buildings (close to main pool, pool bar, store and restaurants) or a room overlooking DTD so you can sit on your patio/balcony and watch the fireworks. FYI these rooms are further away from the store, main pool, etc. They're at least a 5 minute walk or you can hop on any bus because they stop back at the Springs last.

After that I would visit Beach Club. Beach Club is our home resort. However, although it receives many awards, service there, (food, store, check-in, hospitality, housekeeping, all pale in comparison to nearly every other DVC resort). Despite what they publish, the rooms are smaller. Yes, we have actually measured them.

Finally, I would visit OKW. The rooms are huge and structured differently from the other DVC resorts. However, it is really, really spread out. Bus service is ok, and dining and other services are more limited.

Hope this helps. Have fun!

mprewitt

Original Poster
Beach Club is our home resort. However, although it receives many awards, service there, (food, store, check-in, hospitality, housekeeping, all pale in comparison to nearly every other DVC resort). Despite what they publish, the rooms are smaller. Yes, we have actually measured them.

I'm surprised to hear of your issues with BCV service. It seems to be recommended by almost everyone. Perhaps this is due to it's location near Epcot, as well as SAB?

Blonde Princess

I know people rave about BCV; however, our experience has been just the opposite. Mind you, we stay there a lot since this is our home resort. I won't bore you with the details and am not a person to complain. These are two examples, on one occasion DVC refunded our points for our entire stay. Our room was filthy, we paid for daily entire change/clean housekeeping for 8 days and received it on only 4 days. Yes we notified the BC and the housekeeping head. On one day we returned to our room to find 6 housekeepers in there watching TV and smoking. We had a non-smoking room for medical reasons due to our son's condition. We asked for an extra blanket on the day of arrival. Asked again the next day. Both times we were told they would deliver it. Asked at the front desk the next day. They told us it had been delivered which it had not. Then a staff member, who was clearly intoxicated brought it to our room. It was covered with hair and freshly stained. This was documented by the BC manager. We didn't ask DVC for the refund of points. The Beach Club manager did.

OK everyone gets a bad trip. You deal with it. However, every trip it is something. Last trip, we checked in and went to set up the coffee maker for the next day. The pot was missing. So, we called down to the front desk who said they couldn't deliver it until the next day. No problem. The next day we returned to the room around 5:00 p.m. from parks. No pot. We went down to front desk. I said We've been out all day, maybe someone tried to deliver it and could not. Could we get a pot. They said someone would place it in our room that evening. Returned after fireworks. around 11:00 pm No Pot. I went down and spoke to the same cast member I spoke with earlier. He said oh housekeeping was to deliver it. He calls housekeeping. They say they will be up with it is 15 minutes. We wait one hour. Call same person. He says housekeeping is backed up. It's midnight. My husband says, I'll pick it up from front desk or housekeeping. They say no it's our mistake we'll deliver it. Front Desk calls us no more than 2 minutes later. Housekeeping is on its way up with it. We wait. 20 minutes Nobody. I walk down to the front desk and ask them to just give us a pot. They tell me because of inventory control they cannot do that. Housekeeping must provide it to us. Ok. I go back to room and give up. 4:30 a.m. Housekeeping bangs on the door saying housekeeping with the pot. Wakes us up and my kids, (10 and 7 up) we say thanks. Next morning we take the pot out of the box it's the wrong size. We take it down to the front desk. They apologize. Head housekeeping person brings us the right size pot 5 minutes later and scolds us saying we should have contacted housekeeping directly, the manager of the resort is now upset with her. Nice huh?

BCV look nice, have great pool, but poor service.

mprewitt

Original Poster
Again, Wow! I'm sorry to hear you had those bad experiences at BCV.

I hope your experience is not representative of BCV service as a whole. We are thinking of adding on some points at BCV due to it's location and SAB.

Thanks for the feedback.

disbest

I would recommend BW and BCV. These are our favorites. It is a short walk to Epcot and a quick boat ride to MGM. This eliminates two parks where you do not have to rely on the bus service. While everyone else is trying to get to their cars and busses after the fireworks, you will only have a short walk back to the room. There is also plenty of night time entertainment on the boardwalk. You can also catch the epcot fireworks from your room if you have the proper view.

Keyda

I would try OKW for a couple with no kids. It is spread out and quiet.
And though the main pool gets crowded the smaller pools are next to empty (even in the summer). I have to say it is my favorite resort because you feel like you are in your own world. Nothing is better than going out on the porch and watching people golf while you have a glass of wine and you hear nothing; no kids screaming, no nothing. It is nice to take the relaxing ride down to downtown disney at night for a drink and Olivia's is great place. Just my opinion.
Laurel :)

mprewitt

Original Poster
I would try OKW for a couple with no kids. It is spread out and quiet.
And though the main pool gets crowded the smaller pools are next to empty (even in the summer). I have to say it is my favorite resort because you feel like you are in your own world. Nothing is better than going out on the porch and watching people golf while you have a glass of wine and you hear nothing; no kids screaming, no nothing. It is nice to take the relaxing ride down to downtown disney at night for a drink and Olivia's is great place. Just my opinion.
Laurel :)

Cool! We will be staying in a 1-BR at OKW starting September 30 through October 6.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom