Where have all the stuffed animals gone?

evanssc

Original Poster
My wife and I were talking about our last trip to Disney and how surprised we were at the limited variety of stuffed Disney characters that are for sale now. Yes, you can still get the big names, but we remember as children being able to get a stuffed doll of just about any character that you could think of. We had hoped that on our last trip we would be able to find some of our old favorites at DD to start a collection for our children (that is when we have some).
Has anyone else noticed this? Is there somewhere that offers official characters that can not be found on property?

wdw100

Last week I was at World of Disney and I noticed the same thing…. I was surprised that my Disney Store has more of a selection than Disney World.

P.S Personally I would buy plush at The Disney Store because they sometimes go on sale and we have promotions…. it saves you time from having to carry it around with you or transporting it home. :sohappy:

Main Street USA

Good observation. I remember back in the good ol' days of Captain EO, you could pick up a stuffed animal of EVERY single character in the show! You just don't see that anymore.

evanssc

Original Poster
Woody13 said:
When you've got a stuffed Stitch (in every size imaginable), what else could you possibly want?:)

Well yes, I can see your point.
Maybe we should just plan to do the nursery in a Stitch theme instead of in Brer Rabbit as we had planned. Maybe we could have green snot dripping from the crib.

Moustronaut

Woody13 said:
When you've got a stuffed Stitch (in every size imaginable), what else could you possibly want?:)

Don't forget Nemo. He seems to be everywhere too!

But I got to admit the WDW tourist Stitch complete with Mickey Premium Bar is too awesome

Woody13

evanssc said:
Maybe we should just plan to do the nursery in a Stitch theme instead of in Brer Rabbit as we had planned. Maybe we could have green snot dripping from the crib.

Cool! I wish my parents would have been that creative. Perhaps you could also spring for a laser cannon mounted in the ceiling to track the snot? :wave:

tigsmom

evanssc said:

Oh you wiil, just wait till the kid gets sick! :lol:

Pixie Duster

Brer Rabbit can be found in the Splash Mountain shop I also recently saw Brer Frog in there too.
Try calling 407-363-6200 Mercahndise hotline for WDW.

TheBouff

hi

last time i was at wdw i tried to buy Brer bear and the only place he could be found on all of disney property was in the splash mountain shop.

i gues if you want specific characters and they have an attraction you can most of the time find them near by in a shop or on a cart. however if the character does not have a major attraction in a park i guess you will be out of luck

barnum42

It's not limited to just plush toys. It's been noted more than once that the unique theme of the different stores has largely gone in favour of pin stations and generic shops selling little more than kitchen goods, Pooh merchandise and princess outfits.

ScrapIron

The strange grin on my face is because of the number of threads on DL boards, not to mention Al Lutz, that have complaints about the shops in the park selling little else but plush.

Oh, Arturo, Prince of Irony........

Cheers.

barnum42

ScrapIron said:
The strange grin on my face is because of the number of threads on DL boards, not to mention Al Lutz, that have complaints about the shops in the park selling little else but plush.
I think the comment here is not so much the quantity of plush, by the reduced variety of it. However I do see where the humour is in your comment :)

dixiegirl

yes we noticed the limited supply of stuffed characters.. we also noticed how cheaply made was the plush mickey mouse last year...we had to buy one for our 1 year old , her sister 4 year lod sis did not want to share hers, but we had bought my oldest 3 years ago, and last year was the first year that i've seen how cheesy he was made..anyone else notice this??? not any other characteers just the original mickey..

shoppingnut

Yes, I can remember when you used to be able to get plush characters at WDW that were unavailable anywhere else. WDW used to have lots of unique merchandise, each area had things that were special to the theming and you couldn't get them elsewhere, but most of that has gone the way of mass merchandising the same stuff everywhere in the parks, hotels, DTD and the marketplace.

Also, I've noticed that the World of Disney store sells some merchandise that is the same exact thing you can buy in Walmart for half the price. I recall seeing tote bags during my last trip. I don't know about anyone else, but I have a problem with seeing Walmart type merchandise in the World of Disney. When I go to the WOD I expect to see unique items that I can't get anywhere else, otherwise, why do I need to go there. This same type of mass merchandising, or should I say mass stupidity, in The Disney Store ruined them. Why would I pay more money for the same toy that's cheaper in Toys R Us or Walmart?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
evanssc said:

Wow, a bunch of baby stitches in diapers.....scarrrrry thought.

aimster

When I was a kid, I remember getting big plushes of Lady & Tramp, plus smaller ones of Elliott (from Pete's Dragon), Bernard & Miss Biana (The Rescuers), Dumbo... Back then you name it, they had it. My parents knew I always wanted to go into Tinkerbell's Toy Shoppe and beg them for a new stuffed toy.

Back when I first went to Disneyland back in 1986, I got a plush of Thomas O'Mally from The Aristocats. I think they even sold plushes of Sam the Eagle from America Sings.

evanssc

Original Poster
We had hoped to find some of the characters from The Fox and the Hound. I remember as a child that they were some of my favorite toys. When I asked a CM at World of DIsney about it, I was told that the characters were displayed on a rotating schedule. However, I have yet to see the new line up rotate in. Sounded like a bunch of bunk to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom