Where else do folks vacation or is Disney your go to place?

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
So after some really interesting ( and a few that are scary) discussions I've come to the conclusion that maybe lol I'm not as passionate about Disney as I thought I was. ;)

We do enjoy traveling to other places and have just as "magical" time. right now we are starting to visit the National parks. I really want to go to Yellowstone and the Grand tetons.

For adults, gotta say we love Vegas. always have a great time. It's not a place we go to for a week but it's great and a great value.
Paris is my favorite city, but take that with a grain of salt as I haven't been to Spain yet which I heard was awesome.

So where else do you love to vacation? it can be anywhere from Ocean city NJ to Okinawa Japan. beach to cabin in the woods.

Nemo14

Even as kids from a big family with a very meager income,my siblings and I were always encouraged to go out and explore the world. My parents took us cross-country several times with a station wagon full of kids and a tent and a cooler to not just see the country, but to appreciate all that we did have. Those adventures have served me well as an adult.
My husband and I love to travel, and have instilled that sentiment in our now adult kids and their families. Yes we did numerous trips to WDW when they were younger, but we also took them camping in VT, biking in Assateague, touring the national parks in the Four Corners region, and exploring the magnificent sites on the Rhine river. We all loved our Disney trips, but it has never been more than a few days of fun and escape for us.
Now that we're retired, my husband and I spend a month or so in FL, but not at WDW - there's so many beautiful state parks that we enjoy so much more. Last summer we visited Alaska, and we plan to go back there in a few years, but not by cruise ship, and this summer we'll be spending a couple of weeks in the Yellowstone/ Grand Teton area. To us, life is too short to waste it visiting WDW year after year.

Last edited:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Although Disney is my go to vacation spot, we have done Washington DC, Dollywood/Gattlinberg TN, Grand Canyon, and a guest ranch in the TX Hill Country.

StarWarsGirl

Disney is our go to spot; we're there twice a year, but I've also been out to California to do Disneyland and San Diego, Oahu several times, and Hilton Head Island. Last summer I went to Edisto Island in South Carolina, which is the most rural spot I've ever been to in my entire life, but it was gorgeous and relaxing. I went to Charleston, SC for the first time in several years last year. I also enjoy a good day trip to Hershey Park. My friends and I have been talking about going to Delaware to go to the beach this summer, and we've been talking about doing a long weekend in New York. I really want to see a Broadway show on Broadway (not that the Broadway Across America productions that we have here in Baltimore aren't excellent, but to see a real show...yes please).

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
Disney is our go to spot; we're there twice a year, but I've also been out to California to do Disneyland and San Diego, Oahu several times, and Hilton Head Island. Last summer I went to Edisto Island in South Carolina, which is the most rural spot I've ever been to in my entire life, but it was gorgeous and relaxing. I went to Charleston, SC for the first time in several years last year. I also enjoy a good day trip to Hershey Park. My friends and I have been talking about going to Delaware to go to the beach this summer, and we've been talking about doing a long weekend in New York. I really want to see a Broadway show on Broadway (not that the Broadway Across America productions that we have here in Baltimore aren't excellent, but to see a real show...yes please).

Native New yorker here. Nothing like a Broadway show. whenever you guys get to going send me an email. I've got lots of tips. lol, I've been wanting to see Hamilton for a few years just can't get up the nerve to pay the 500.00 ticket price.

newhorizons1

Disney is my go-to spot, but we have traveled a lot to other places. I love visiting Savannah, GA and have spent several long weekends there. We've been on several cruises. I prefer cruising in Alaska to the Caribbean though. My favorite city is Paris, but Tokyo came in at a close second. Both are cities I can't wait to take the kids to eventually.

BraveGirl

I've been to a bunch of places around the world - Australia, Thailand, Italy and Sicily, Dominican Republic, Canada, Spain, and around the country including a yearly trip to Hawaii and several times a year to California where my in laws live. I live in NYC. I don't even consider my WDW trips "traveling", I consider them a necessary part of life :joyfull: The other stuff is traveling.

wdwfan4ver

Door Peninsula aka Door County. I started going there years before I went to WDW. My late great uncle used to lived in one of the towns up there during the summer and I still love doing up there even after his death as an adult.

Here is a video of Door County:

The video does not show everything including all shops up there including the markets that located on a country highway road, and some of other stuff for families. Door county after Sturgeon Bay does not have any chain restaurants at all.

DisneyFreak

Door Peninsula aka Door County. I started going there years before I went to WDW. My late great uncle used to lived in one of the towns up there during the summer and I still love doing up there even after his death as an adult.

Here is a video of Door County:

The video does not show everything including all shops up there including the markets that located on a country highway road, and some of other stuff for families. Door county after Sturgeon Bay does not have any chain restaurants at all.

From the time I was 4 months old until 18 years old I went here with my family every summer and Labor Day Weekend. Just a hop, skip and a jump from Chicago.

I just went back last summer for the first time since 1997 and it has barely changed in that time. We are going again this summer and this time staying at Alpine Resort in Egg Harbor. This is where we had always stayed when I was a kid in one of the guest houses. The family that has owned the resort for almost 100 years is selling and we want to go back one more time just in case it changes or gets torn down. It's like traveling back in time going to Door County.

DisneyFreak

Since living in Florida we very rarely ever leave the state for a vacation other than a cruise. We go to Vero Beach quite a bit and the Palm Beach/Riviera Beach area every so often. Key West is another place we've visited a few times. A couple roads trips we have planned in the pipe line are St. Augustine, Savannah, GA and Hilton Head, SC.

SeanWM48

turks and caicos. we do club med. it's one of the more affordable spots down there. for ~$1100 per person you can do a good 5 days down there and that includes food, drink, flight, and some of the experiences. i'm a disney guy don't get me wrong but the for the price (and the perfection of the beach) it's hard to beat that.

HouCuseChickie

Funny...we're actually going on a trip this summer that involves Yellowstone and Grand Teton NPs...plus some other places. DH and I went to YNP and GTNP back in 2005 and loved them. We've always wanted to take the kids, but wanted them to be old enough that they understood enough of the dangers so they could be more cautious.

For us, we'll be flying into Billings, MT...seeing Little Bighorn...spending a night near Devil's Tower...going into South Dakota to see Mt. Rushmore/Crazy Horse/Badlands...back into WY to check out Cody...and then a week in YNP with a pop down into GTNP.

Later in the year, we'll be going to Vegas...popping over the Grand Canyon NP for a night...and possibly hitting Death Valley NP for day.

mmelka

Disney is our go-to spot! My wife and I went to WDW, for my first time, in 2016 for our honeymoon and we've already been back this year and are going to Disneyland too, for her first time since she was 5. So, Disney definitely gets our money. But we are also going to Canada this summer to visit Whistler and cash in a timeshare stay that was gifted to us at our wedding. Neither of us like snow, so summer visits to Canada for hiking, drinking and shopping sounded more fun. My wife and I are also huge baseball fans, so we make a few treks over to Seattle to see the Mariners play, usually in August before school starts for us.

This last year though, I went to Peoria, AZ for a guys weekend during Spring Training. And my wife went to a Bridal Shower in San Francisco. I guess we get out there more than I thought, but I still would rather spend my money and time at Disney :p

NickWilde

My family goes to lot of different places, mostly in the mainland US. We live on the East Coast so travel to Asia/the Pacific isn’t easy, and Europe/Africa is not an option due to my sister’s reluctance to eat anything besides comfort foods.

ppet

We tend to do Disney every other year. In the off years we have set out to visit all 50 states. Down to just Hawaii and Alaska to go. In every state we have found something great. I would recommend the upper west coast to anyone. If you like NP Crater Lake may be the most beautiful body of water in the country. The coast of Maine is really cool also, great place to whale watch. My kids have a better appreciation for the country after setting out on a road trip from coast to coast. But Disney is the place that we go the most.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom