Where do I go to buy points ?

bobhall3

Original Poster
I am sorry because I know I'm probably i the wrong spot. Its been a while since I've logged in but am interested in BWV from Sept 8-12.

I apologize for blurting in the wrong spot.

Warm regards,

Bob

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You can book a DC resort straight through Disney but it can be quite pricey. I believe what you are referring to is renting DVC points from a DVC member. I have yet to do this myself but from what I understand it can save you a pretty substantial chunk of change but there are risks involved as it is done through a private party (the DVC owner) and not Disney. Mouse savers has a pretty good guide on it (link) and I am pretty sure someone that has done this will chime in before too long and give you a review of their experience with renting DVC points.

Unplugged

I am sorry because I know I'm probably i the wrong spot. Its been a while since I've logged in but am interested in BWV from Sept 8-12.
Bob

If, as Master Yoda indicates, you are asking about using a DVC member's points, I can mention how that typically works. Since DVC members (such as myself) own, we are allocated a number of points per year proportional to our ownership. If we don't use them, we can bank them for the following year. Sometimes people will offer to sell their points for use. What happens in this case, is the owner will make a financial agreement with you to make a reservation on your behalf. DVC will only allow the owner to make the initial reservation. If you need to change it, assuming you will use the same number of points or less for your change, you can typically call DVC with your reservation number (provided by the owner who booked it for you) and you can make a change yourself.

I have seen some people purchase points strictly as an investment and sell the reservations all the time. The best place to find a quick deal like this is eBay. (Yes I said it, DVC points on eBay.) There are numerous owners who sell single reservations for a very reasonable price. I do not sell my points as I own just enough (wish I had more :rolleyes:) so I'm not pushing the idea. I have looked into buying such deals from other DVC owners for large family gatherings when I only need the reservation for 1 big event.

Typically, there are plenty of rooms at DVC resorts available in September as most kids are back in school (USA).

Hope this helps.

bobhall3

Original Poster
Thanks to ALL for replies

I appreciate your replies.

I ended up buyin the Premium Annual Pass an staying at the Contemporary.

Now I am looking to return for Halloween and Just before Christmas to see the Lights.

I will continue to try and rent the points and appreciate all your help.

Is there a particular forum for asking about renting points ?

Many Thanks and warm regards,

Bob

bobhall3

Original Poster
Thanks to ALL for replies

Now I am looking to return for Halloween and Just before Christmas to see the Lights.

Bob

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No

Bob

There is a DVC Forum, but I don't think Steve would allow actual deals being made via the forum. You can certainly use it to ask questions and find answers.

The Mom

Premium Member
Any reason why you would not own your own membership vs. depending on someone else points?

Just curious.

Many people (myself included) do not want to commit to taking a week's vacation at WDW every year for the next 20 years. Plus, taking that vacation is a choice for me, not a must. DVC membership would mean that I would be committed, BY LAW, to paying for the DVC, whether I want to vacation or not....whether I can afford to or not...whether my family is well enough or not. Or, I can go through the trouble of selling my membership, or renting my points to try to make enough to pay my fees.

Because there are many people who, for one reson or another (including the above examples) cannot use all or some of their week, the cost to rent points are sometimes less than reserving the same unit through WDW. People are in a "it's better to sell points for less than they're worth, rather than get nothing at all for them" situation, so it's often possible to get a deal.

So renting points, when available, is a better deal for many people than buying into DVC. They can often get a unit for less or equal to the price of a deluxe hotel room, and sometimes this is the only way to get a home away from home "condo" on site. If they can't get the points, there's always plan B...stay in a resort room.

bobhall3

Original Poster
My Apologies and Thanks

First I apologize if I stirred the pot with some DVC owners, I had been in here a year or so ago and I could have swore there was a forum where folks posted their points and you would contact them off site to make arrangements. I will not revisit that....

Mom, you hit the nail on the head.

I would love to lease a chunk of Disney Magic but just can't commit to it sadly.

Contemporary was great but a little pricy for me even with the Annual Pass discount. Just a little outta my league. I have a 17 years old ( who is no longer Mouse Crazy), a wife who is no longer Mouse Crazy (There may be rough waters ahead matey !) and a 6 year old who's heart is where mine is.
We could go every weekend...

We went to Playa del Carmen this year through TNT

Trip to the Mouse recently was Spontaneous based on $50 each way flight Providence to Orlando.

Mexico...Familly of 4, Flight,Room, Food & Beverages ( inluding alcohol) from Providence, RI

$2400...WOW !

Swarm with the Dolphins, Excaret, Xel-Ha..Great Stuff

I've been coming to THE WORLD since it opened and stayed in a wide assortment of accomedations including the old Lake Buena Vista Village back in the mid 70s.
The French Quarter is usually my pick..old DIXIE LAndings. I've rented a house outside the park but it was not the same and will never do it again. Beautiful House with private pool and Jacuzzi but no MAGIC.

Never had an Annual Pass but now I want to get the most out of it.

Made it down while it was still warm enough for Crush & Gusher

Hope to head down for Halloween but reality is I will probably target week ending Dec 17th which will get me value season accomedations. Need the Savings for Character Breakfast and home in time for last minute shopping.

Pe@ce

Bob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom