Where can you find good quality Disney shirts?

Captainvideo

Original Poster
I've been to Disney World 3 times in the past 5 years and each time I pack light on the t-shirts with intentions of purchasing some Disney shirts early into the trip. I am 0 for 3 in coming with any new ones. Is it me, or do most of the T-shirts seem flimsy and thin, similar to the lousy ones my kids like from old navy and American eagle? All it takes is a couple of washes and it looks like I stuffed myself into under armor(not pretty)! I don't consider myself a picky person, but I guess with T-shirts I am. Have you had any luck with any particular resort or gift shop?

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
I've been to Disney World 3 times in the past 5 years and each time I pack light on the t-shirts with intentions of purchasing some Disney shirts early into the trip. I am 0 for 3 in coming with any new ones. Is it me, or do most of the T-shirts seem flimsy and thin, similar to the lousy ones my kids like from old navy and American eagle? All it takes is a couple of washes and it looks like I stuffed myself into under armor(not pretty)! I don't consider myself a picky person, but I guess with T-shirts I am. Have you had any luck with any particular resort or gift shop?

Even though I'm a crotchety ol' 44 year old, I'm actually a big fan of the new style lighter "worn" style shirts the young whipper snappers seem to like. I just buy a size up from what I normally wear and they seem to look better on my old tarnished torso and survive the wash a lot better.

I am not a fan of the Beefy T" style shirts where the collar is 4 inches thick and the sleeves stick straight out and look like they've been starched.

With that being said, there have been more than a few (50/50) times that I've seen super cool print etc. that I have not purchased because it was on the Beefy T type of shirt that you like, So I think if you look around a bit you'll find something you like.

Mouse Gears never disappoints!!

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but have you looked into the "Design-A-Tee" t-shirt shop over at DTD. It seems like the shirts themselves there (Hanes) seem to be pretty nice. I've not really spent a TON of time looking at the different designs available, I know my kids both made ones the last trip and they still seem in OK shape. Since I've not purchased one for myself though, I can't fully vouch for it in how it fits after a wash, they still fit my kids. Anyway, might be worth checking out if you're running out of places to look.

JohnD

I have four "polo" (Mickey?) shirts from World of Disney: purple, red, dark gray, and green (my profile pic). Love them.

Obi

this is a touchy area for me.... i feel almost hypocritical... LOL...... buuuuuuuut.....

i work in the promotional products industry. mostly screenprinted and/or embroidered goods for 24 years now. i have a DIFFICULT time shopping for clothes, mainly shirts and hats, any place other than where i work. i'm a perfectionist when it comes to my job and whenever i'm looking at shirts, hats in stores, most of the time i'm cringing at the cruddy job that is done and the high prices some stores will charge for it, knowing that i could do a much better job and at a cheaper price.

so, when it comes to the stuff in disney, quite often, i'm disappointed... there are stuff that they do have that i'm impressed by and worth the money. however, i have to do a lot of looking to find it. usually i'm searching for a grumpy dwarf t-shirt when i'm there... love the grump! they do put out a lot of different grumpy dwarf t-shirts and i can usually find one that has a good print on it or great embroidered logo on it. sometimes, however, it's really hard to justify the higher price, because it's disney, when i know i could do a much better job.

Goofyernmost

I know that this is a banned word on certain threads but, in my experience if you want to find a shirt of better quality then in a Disney location and hugely less expensive I have one word for you.
Wal*Mart
Every shirt I have ever purchased from Disney was spent in a year. The ones I bought from Walmart I am still using, in some cases, 6 years later. I have even found that T's I have purchased at those brightly lit souvenir stores last longer. Bear in mind that I don't hate Disney, I just sometimes, in certain areas, feel totally ripped off. Clothing is one of those places.

rob0519

Sorry to say this, but for the most part, the quality of t shirts or similarly priced clothing at WDW in the past ten years has gone straight downhill. My wife insists we all buy a new one each visit for the family picture, but they normally don't last long. The polo shirts, while not great are adequate for the price.

Captainvideo

Original Poster
this is a touchy area for me.... i feel almost hypocritical... LOL...... buuuuuuuut.....

i work in the promotional products industry. mostly screenprinted and/or embroidered goods for 24 years now. i have a DIFFICULT time shopping for clothes, mainly shirts and hats, any place other than where i work. i'm a perfectionist when it comes to my job and whenever i'm looking at shirts, hats in stores, most of the time i'm cringing at the cruddy job that is done and the high prices some stores will charge for it, knowing that i could do a much better job and at a cheaper price.
I am more picky with hats and they're terrible too! The cheaper ones are very floppy. I did find a good quality Grumpy hat with a firm top part, above the brim, that was blue, white and black.

Innkeeper's Club

A few years ago when WDW switched to their shirts to the Haynes style brand ever since then I noticed some are made smaller then others. I like to purchase shirts which have a size XL and some designs feel tigther then other ones.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
I am more picky with hats and they're terrible too! The cheaper ones are very floppy. I did find a good quality Grumpy hat with a firm top part, above the brim, that was blue, white and black.

Wow! I am not the only one, would buy a decent WDW hat (fitted) in a heartbeat. The hat offerings over the past ten years have gone from okay at best to basic junk for the most part. The white run Disney hats are perhaps the best quality I have seen recently but are not fitted which drives me crazy. Is stocking a few SM/MD, MD/LG, LG/XL flex-fit hat sizes too much to ask?

On the shirt front, the quality varies widely from shirt to shirt. Not all the thin, lightweight shirts are low quality as I have several purchased over the past four years or so that are still in great shape. While I personally prefer the dri-fit polo style (Nike) that they embroider the resort specific merch. on. WDW has some newer low profile athletic dri-fit shirts that are decent quality, hold up well and are very comfortable in the Florida sun but do not have the giant screen printed characters/icons on them but are a simple WDW logo.

Marijil

I know that this is a banned word on certain threads but, in my experience if you want to find a shirt of better quality then in a Disney location and hugely less expensive I have one word for you.
Wal*Mart
Every shirt I have ever purchased from Disney was spent in a year. The ones I bought from Walmart I am still using, in some cases, 6 years later. I have even found that T's I have purchased at those brightly lit souvenir stores last longer. Bear in mind that I don't hate Disney, I just sometimes, in certain areas, feel totally ripped off. Clothing is one of those places.
also...pens, other clothing, toys, etc

CheshireCat12

Bought a T shirt I really loved a few years ago. Brought it home, wore it once or twice, shrunk to an unwearable size (way too short!). Got it at Mouse Gear, haven't seen another one like it since. :(

copcarguyp71

Meh...I have some of the "new style" shirts but I am not an overall fan of the tissue paper thin shirt with $24 price tag. They use "in style" to justify a cheaper product at the same old price. For that money I would like for my nips NOT to be able to puncture the material when a cool breeze blows through.o_O

rangerbob

I was looking at a shirt that had a really neat design on it for Haunted Mansion at DisneyQuest. I stuck my hand inside the shirt and I could see my hand. Not just the layout of the hand, I can see the lines for the joint of my fingers. I looked at the price tag $35.00 (I think)and laughed since it was a great design but a junk shirt.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom