When to eat a meal before running the tower of terror ten miler

reknvan21

Original Poster
Im trying to book my adr's for tot 10 miler and I'm wondering what is a good time to eat pasta before a night race? Right now I have a reservation for 2:35pm. What have you done before you ran tot 10 miler last year or W & D half? Thanks.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
2 nights before is just as important as the night before. Possibly more important for a carb meal.

I like running on a rather empty stomach. I dont like eating a lot a few hours prior since I feel bloated and possibly cramp. In the heat, I feel that a normal meal hangs around longer and doesnt digest as fast (possibly all mental). I have done the W&D and the ToT and both years, my plan worked for me, so these are just suggestions.

2 nights before: Eat a descent size carby meal (dear god not Disney standard size. Remember, last thing you want is a brick in your GI from their serving size)
1 Night prior: Eat carby meal but nothing crazy and spicey. Last thing we need is dehydration before you even run.
Race day Breakfast: pancakes or grits, minimal syrup, some eggs, juice and banana or fruit.
Race Day Lunch: Quick service chicken sandwich, NO FRIES, some fruit, veggie and water (I like to eat in Epcot Seasons so i can get baked chicken, some rice and fruit)
Race Day Dinner: I usually eat a clif bar and some sports drink. Around 6pm. Possible second clif bar around 7 or an apple/banana. Just enough to tie me over since it is only a 10 mile run, and you have plenty of natural carbs to complete this event.

I know some racers eat a regular dinner for these events and recall some reviews of them being crampy, full and GI issues. Best way to test this is to do a few simulated night runs and try it on a basic empty stomach, one with some light food (apple and banana) and one on a full stomach.

Good luck.

Mr mom

While I agree with Joel and I also prefer loading well ahead rather than prior to a long run. 10 miles is not a huge distance and for me I run it on a regular enough basis to probably just eat a little earlier than usual with no night snacks. I assume they have power drinks etc if you do need a little something during the run to pick you back up. I guess it really is individual in terms of what you would normally run as a distance. I suspect nick could not eat for 3 days and still run 10 miles. For me nothing but a small snack more than 4 hours prior and I would not have a big meal even 6 to 8 hours prior. again that is me.

joel_maxwell

While I agree with Joel and I also prefer loading well ahead rather than prior to a long run. 10 miles is not a huge distance and for me I run it on a regular enough basis to probably just eat a little earlier than usual with no night snacks. I assume they have power drinks etc if you do need a little something during the run to pick you back up. I guess it really is individual in terms of what you would normally run as a distance. I suspect nick could not eat for 3 days and still run 10 miles. For me nothing but a small snack more than 4 hours prior and I would not have a big meal even 6 to 8 hours prior. again that is me.
On the majority of my runs, the last thing I had was a snack before bed, 6-7 hours prior. So I like the empty stomach and fuel during the run if it is over 13-14. Ill hit 2-4ozs of Gatorade right as I get up to give a sensation that something is there.

JillC LI

Well I ate a monsterous dinner at le Cellier immediately before running the Tower of Terror race when it was a 13K in 2009 (8+ miles). Big mistake. I felt that pretzel bread, cheddar cheese soup, steak, and chocolate cake sloshing around in my stomach for the whole race! Thankfully I was just running it for fun and not for speed.

You shouldn't really need to carb load before a 10 mile race, but if you're inclined to eat pasta that day, I'd say that a late lunch would be fine. Just keep dinner relatively light and keep an energy bar or gel in your pocket for during the race if you think you'll need one.

joel_maxwell

Well I ate a monsterous dinner at le Cellier immediately before running the Tower of Terror race when it was a 13K in 2009 (8+ miles). Big mistake. I felt that pretzel bread, cheddar cheese soup, steak, and chocolate cake sloshing around in my stomach for the whole race! Thankfully I was just running it for fun and not for speed.

You shouldn't really need to carb load before a 10 mile race, but if you're inclined to eat pasta that day, I'd say that a late lunch would be fine. Just keep dinner relatively light and keep an energy bar or gel in your pocket for during the race if you think you'll need one.
and dont forget, you have to consume water (4oz for a gel and chews) so your body doesnt pull fluid from the rest of your body to digest said food. That would actually dehydrate you worse in the long run (pun intended)

dreamfinder

Definitely try it out at home. Most races are early AM, so your body has had time to mostly process dinner from the night before, so all that is in your stomach is the bagel, banana, whatever that you mowed before starting. A night race, odds are your lunch will still be kicking around when the race starts, never mind what you eat for dinner. Food takes 6-8 hours to make it through the stomach and large intestine, into the small intestine. So anything you eat after mid afternoon, you won't get any real nutritional value from for the race. As mentioned above, it's really about having enough in your stomach so it's not gurgling or rumbling the entire run. But how much, will really be specific to the individual.

First W&D we at ate blueZoo at 5:15, so maybe 4 hours before guntime? Think I had a flatbread. Personally 2:35 wouldn't do it for me. I'd be hungry again around 8 or so. I think that shooting for a 4-5:30 works better for a light dinner, but it's all up to you and your body.

DisneyRunner

Last year, I split a create your own pasta with my sister at AoA around noon. Then I had a bagel with peanut butter around 5:30. I can have GI issues, so I wanted something simple. I saw people eating chicken with penne and alfredo, that would have been a terrible choice for me. On the course, I had a Clif bar. After the race, 2:00 am, we ate at the Backlot Express. I agree with previous posters, test out what works for you ahead of time.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Last year, I had a create your own pasta at about 11:00 am at POR.

I think something to consider is the weather. If it's going to be warm, like last year, the focus should be on hydration, as it is only 10 miles, and you really don't need a super-carb meal.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
and dont forget, you have to consume water (4oz for a gel and chews) so your body doesnt pull fluid from the rest of your body to digest said food. That would actually dehydrate you worse in the long run (pun intended)

Exactly. If you want to read what NOT to do on race day evening, read my race report from last year.

Zman-ks

Do a few "dress rehearsals" at home. Different things work for different people.
75.gif

Great advice! :)

joel_maxwell

Exactly. If you want to read what NOT to do on race day evening, read my race report from last year.
Brad, I recall your troubles in your report. I didnt want to call you out specifically, but if you offered, that is great so others might learn from it. Im no expert, far from it, but I do recall when you mentioned yall had a ADR at Via Napoli (I think) right before the race, I cringed for you. LOL

Mr mom

Brad, I recall your troubles in your report. I didnt want to call you out specifically, but if you offered, that is great so others might learn from it. Im no expert, far from it, but I do recall when you mentioned yall had a ADR at Via Napoli (I think) right before the race, I cringed for you. LOL

yup, not good

What I did last year was eat a big pancake breakfast for carbo loading! Then a few hours before the race I had a small sandwich. I wanted to carbo load but not be full or run on a heavy stomach. The night race presents an interesting opportunity to sub pasta for breakfast carbs.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Actually we went to Via Napoli the night before the race, and had pizza. That's a proven method for us, and never caused us issues before, so we stuck with it.

The ADR at Hacienda de San Angel the night OF the race is what killed me.

joel_maxwell

Actually we went to Via Napoli the night before the race, and had pizza. That's a proven method for us, and never caused us issues before, so we stuck with it.

The ADR at Hacienda de San Angel the night OF the race is what killed me.
nuff said. That is right....

Reading all these lovely suggestions and I am super excited even tho we are still 172 days away, I am going to run a couple trial runs when the heat starts rising cause I have been running fine but its been cold and I sweat a lot so I can imagine running in florid as humidity.

runningforit

I ran this last year and we had a pasta lunch at Universal City Walk around 2:00pm. The food was not very good...however, that timing seemed to work. After that, lots of liquid and some easy carbs (CLif Bar, PB&J, etc)

As I am sure you have heard - it was stupid hot and humid last year...so, I was thankful that I took it easy that day.

Best tip on this thread though is from Ariel484 - Try it out at home.

Here is my recap of the race, in case you are interested
http://www.runningforit.com/2013/01/tower-of-terror-10-miler-recap.html

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom