When is the best time to visit Disneyland? - Orange County Register

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
In today's OC Register, Robert Niles ask the big question...

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/park-737583-disneyland-time.html

>>If by “best” those people mean “not crowded,” then any recent visitor to the park would be able to give the correct answer – which is, of course, “a school day, 20 years ago.”<<

Sounds like the correct answer, give the writer a year's supply of Rice-A-Roni!!!

Then he looks at how Disney has found ways to make the off-season disappear...

And then end of the article is good...

>>If you stop treating the park like some reality-show competition, you might find a lot of fun waiting for you. Actually, that’s a pretty good lesson for anything ... not just a visit to Disneyland.<<

So if I had to give a "true" answer, I think it is weekdays in early March (first two weeks),and the first three weeks in May, mainly due to the fact that most schools are in session, and no weird Holiday weeks since they are about to go to Easter/Spring Break, or just before finals and the end of the year.

One thing Robert Niles doesn't mention, and that is the switch to surge pricing for one day tickets to the parks, and looks like Disney wants to expand on that in shifting discount offerings to match up with the Surge Pricing dates.

Last edited:

KikoKea

Just returned from a 3-day visit 6-8 Dec at DL and we were surprised at how crowded it was, particularly on the 8th. It was our 3rd trip there (usually go to WDW) and past visits have been for the Halloween party and one early Dec visit, and had not run into crowds before.

Saw lots of kids- was school out for a holiday or something last week?

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Yesterday (Saturday) was AWFUL, Disney used backstage paths for Main Street, the popular Fireworks area were full an hour before the show (PA Announced stated that, and to go to the Rivers of America area) wall to wall people,didn't even bother to try and ride anything, parking was awful, they kicked CM's out of the KCML and converted it for Guest use....

And this is prior to Peak Christmas Season, can't wait for the week between Christmas and New Years. (I will be reading the trip reports, as I am not stepping foot in the parks. I might go one day when the new security checks are open to see them for myself at DtD and GCH.

Thinking about Public Transit for that visit. Park at City Hall, and take the Bravo 543....

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Early May was a fantastic time, IMO, of course that was 9 years ago now ... so I'm long overdue, LOL.

Yes, just avoid those Grad Nights that have become Grad Days (all tickets are now good for the park's regular operating hours), avoid the new Marathon Weekend on Mother's Day, and of course Memorial Day weekend. Add the fact that some schools start to get off in mid-May, more kids are home schooled, etc, etc.....

Oh year, Disney doing a Cinco de Mayo promotion in early May......

Kman101

Yes, just avoid those Grad Nights that have become Grad Days (all tickets are now good for the park's regular operating hours), avoid the new Marathon Weekend on Mother's Day, and of course Memorial Day weekend. Add the fact that some schools start to get off in mid-May, more kids are home schooled, etc, etc.....

Oh year, Disney doing a Cinco de Mayo promotion in early May......

LOL.

Yeah, I went the M-Wed (I spent time in California Sat/Sun) after Mother's Day in 2008 and had low crowds and great weather.

westie

From my experience its in between seasons. Like right after Thanksgiving but right before Christmas decorations arrive. When you can walk around with your arms outstretched and not touch anyone, its a good day!

wild01ride

From my experience its in between seasons. Like right after Thanksgiving but right before Christmas decorations arrive. When you can walk around with your arms outstretched and not touch anyone, its a good day!

Is that time right after Thanksgiving truly that good?
I would be thrilled if it is!
We booked for the weekend after Thanksgiving this year which is one week earlier than we've stayed the past three years.
As someone above posted, it was crazy busy when we were there this past Dec. 8-12.

It was definitely the right time to take advantage of the Extra Magic Hour, then plan a FastPass for later in the day and then give up on any of the big rides! :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom