When getting to WDW from Orlando (MCO): Magical Express, Rental Car or Taxi?

CalicoJack97

Original Poster
What's your mode of transportation when arriving at Orlando Intl Airport? Do you get on the express, rent a car or catch a cab? Leave a comment below!

Regards.

rob0519

Because of our personal situation, we always rent a car. If one of the family comes down later than the rest of us, they use the Magical Express.

NeedMoreMickey

We take the bus to & from the airport but usually rent a car the second day and return it the day before we leave. Since we usually stay at Beach Club we find we save money and it's easy walk over to Swan/Dolphin for the car. Plus you can return it late with after the rental desk is closed.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Because I'm not staying at one of the Disney-owned hotels, I can't take the Magic Express bus. So, I always just take a taxi to and from the airport, and it's worked out fine. Also, I don't go off-site from the WDW parks during my vacation, so I use the Disney transportation and really don't have need for a rental car.

SAV

Always rent a car. I like to have my freedom to come and go as I please. We also go to the Beach for at least a day, so it is needed for that part of the trip.

Wendy Pleakley

Magical Express.

I find it's cheaper to rent a car at a location other than the airport. The one across from Downtown Disney is convenient. I only rent a car for a portion of a given trip.

bee

Magical Express for sure. I am one of those who likes to be "in the bubble" the entire time. My vacation starts as soon as I'm on that DME bus (or maybe even sooner when I scan my MagicBand for the first time at DME checkin!).

BrianV

If we stay only on site, magical express. But usually we aren't only on-site. And a rental car is so much faster and easier and you always have your luggage.

mouse_luv

We use a car service. They pick us up and we get a 30 min grocery stop on the way to our Disney resort, then we get the same minus stop at grocery store on way back to MCO.

cdeev8690

I'm all about that DME life. The only time I leave the resort is to go to Universal Studios for a day and I end up taking Uber to and from. Renting a car for just me and my partner doesn't make a tremendous amount of sense. If there were more of us, I would consider it.
The only time I had a car available was when I drove down from NJ. I didn't use it at all though while I was staying at the resorts.

Second Star to the Right

What's your mode of transportation when arriving at Orlando Intl Airport? Do you get on the express, rent a car or catch a cab? Leave a comment below!

Regards.
I just read some pretty awful reviews of the DME, and now I'm a bit nervous to use that option. I've always had a car when I visited, but I'm staying on the property and we won't be leaving so I figured DME was the best bet.
Our flight doesn't get in until 10 p.m. (pending no delays) and I'm not sure if an hour+ trip is the best idea. Has anyone used DME taking a later flight?

NeverEnufDisney

Many, many times I've come in between 10 PM and midnight. Usually it takes about half an hour or so to go from the gate to the bus and depart MCO. Often there are three resort stops along the way with higher price resorts being first. There is a film for amusement and information along the way and from the gate to your resort can take over an hour. Do early check in so that you can get to your room as quickly as possible. Otherwise either rent a car or a more private transport.

BrianV

I just read some pretty awful reviews of the DME, and now I'm a bit nervous to use that option. I've always had a car when I visited, but I'm staying on the property and we won't be leaving so I figured DME was the best bet.
Our flight doesn't get in until 10 p.m. (pending no delays) and I'm not sure if an hour+ trip is the best idea. Has anyone used DME taking a later flight?

I think my main problem with DME is that your luggage can lag quite a bit behind. If you land at 10, and get to your hotel at 11, you wont necessarily have your luggage with you. Consider whether you want to keep your luggage separate and get it your self.

Similarly, when leaving WDW you have to have your luggage there pretty early and they usually recommend a bus 3 hours before your flight. If driving 2 should be plenty. So a 10AM flight might require you to get up an hour earlier than you would otherwise have planned to.

With DME you are exchanging a little bit of speed for a much cheaper price. Again, I'll use it if we don't need a rental car but I prefer a rental car.

Second Star to the Right

I think my main problem with DME is that your luggage can lag quite a bit behind. If you land at 10, and get to your hotel at 11, you wont necessarily have your luggage with you. Consider whether you want to keep your luggage separate and get it your self.

Similarly, when leaving WDW you have to have your luggage there pretty early and they usually recommend a bus 3 hours before your flight. If driving 2 should be plenty. So a 10AM flight might require you to get up an hour earlier than you would otherwise have planned to.

With DME you are exchanging a little bit of speed for a much cheaper price. Again, I'll use it if we don't need a rental car but I prefer a rental car.
Thanks for the info. I have never rented a car when going to Orlando. I have family there who has an extra car, and they would just leave it at the airport for us to use, but that's not an option this year. We tried the Mears shuttle going to Universal this past October and it really was pretty terrible. I may check into what an Uber would cost just to compare.

bee

In October we took DME after arriving at MCO around 11. Our bus was waiting when we got to the loading area and we waited about ten minutes for it to depart. The biggest inconvenience was that we were super hungry when we got off and nothing at MCO was open, and by the time we got to the resort the food was closed, so we had to order pizza to the room. Not a big deal and next time we would just bring snacks.

If you arrive after 10pm you will have to get your own luggage from the carousel.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Rental Car AND DME what we do is rent a car while some/most ride DME that means we have the advantages of of a car which gives us freedom to visit when and where we like plus most of family enjoys the bus ride to WDW With the rental I'm usually at hotel first so i handle the check in details and wait for the rest of the crew. As for rentals I travel for business so I'm elite with most of the big rental companies so I get my choice of car and i don't have to stand in line at counter

BrianV

Rental Car AND DME what we do is rent a car while some/most ride DME that means we have the advantages of of a car which gives us freedom to visit when and where we like plus most of family enjoys the bus ride to WDW With the rental I'm usually at hotel first so i handle the check in details and wait for the rest of the crew. As for rentals I travel for business so I'm elite with most of the big rental companies so I get my choice of car and i don't have to stand in line at counter

Maybe it's just me, but I never travel for business and have no elite status...and still I rarely if ever have a line at the car counter. At most I might wait 5 minutes. And depending on the company (I use Alamo and budget usually) some just tell you to go pick out whatever car you want in the size category. We are usually driving from the airport in less than 30 minutes from touch down. Maybe we've just been lucky.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom