Wheelchairs at WDW resorts

ninjaprincesst

You may see a scooter near the bell station for one of two reasons. Some of the scooter rental companies have an arrangement with Disney that they can leave a rented scooter with the bell man for either pick up by the customer or return to the scooter rental company. Or sometimes a scooter owner might leave their scooter there if they needed it to get to the car pick up area but know they will not need it for a short trip to somewhere like a grocery store that provides scooters.. We have done this after asking if it was all right to do so.

While it is annoying when something that was once free is no longer available or now has a price tag, I do have a problem with the thinking that when something that was complementary is no longer offered, for whatever reason, it has now become something to which one was entitled. How dare they take it away.
It is not an entitlement and I don't think anyone has a problem paying for a chair, it should just be available to rent so that all areas are handicap accessible.

GrammieBee

It is not an entitlement and I don't think anyone has a problem paying for a chair, it should just be available to rent so that all areas are handicap accessible.
That is not the impression I was getting from most of the original posts. They seemed to be quite upset that the wheelchairs were no longer offered for their free use and that Disney certainly could afford them.
I fully agree that if they no longer offer complementary wheelchairs at the resorts, it would be a positive gesture if they had some available to rent for length of stay. Like you can rent a golf cart at Fort Wilderness.

thomas998

That is not the impression I was getting from most of the original posts. They seemed to be quite upset that the wheelchairs were no longer offered for their free use and that Disney certainly could afford them.
I fully agree that if they no longer offer complementary wheelchairs at the resorts, it would be a positive gesture if they had some available to rent for length of stay. Like you can rent a golf cart at Fort Wilderness.
You are correct that most of the people upset about it think that it was a "right" that has been taken away from them.

As for renting them... it would be more risky to Disney from a legal standpoint to rent them at the resorts than it would be at the parks. At a park they know it won't leave their property, they have no easy way to make sure it doesn't leave the resort and once out of Disney's controlled area any number of unforeseen accidents could happen involving that wheelchair with the only likely outcome being that if anyone involved sued Disney would be named as a defendant - only now it would involve lots of unknowns beyond Disney's control.

But don't say anything to the free wheelchair whiners because they see the free wheelchair as right that has been unjustly taken from them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom