What's Disney doing better now than it's done in the past?

jakeman

I had a verbose post in mind, but "Crazy!" sums it up well. I would be livid to not get the points back. I would be almost imperceptibly below livid being sent offsite, even if I did get the points back. Is there really nothing to be done? Some kind of lawsuit? The dues on that many points must be a pretty penny.

Did you complain to the Better Business Bureau about this? Which hotel was this anyway?
Actually...that was poorly done satire. Apologies, I'm not good at lying (or maybe I am). :oops:

I just took @ford91exploder's adventure from January that he hasn't seem to mention until now and just ramped up a few details to make it even more outlandish.

They can't threaten to take your points away if you don't accept lesser accommodations. You are in essence forfeiting points by dropping to a smaller accommodation. The same thing I fibbed that had "happened" to me.

They aren't going to tell you that VIPs are taking your room any more than they would tell you that "Wall Street" types are taking it.

The only modicum of truth in what I said, is I cannot for the life of me get a room that's ready before 4-5 p.m. regardless of what time I say I'm going to be there.

pax_65

I equate people's either like or dislike of Disney systems to any other holiday you may go on. If you were to plan any trip, would you just wing it with no reservations, no planning just show up to [insert destination here] and hope for the best? To me, that just seems like too much a chance you would get to do nothing if you would have just planned a little bit in advance.

Thanks for the reply. It gives me hope, actually... maybe when it's just my wife and I we can be more spontaneous again and still be able to do stuff. Right now with the 4 of us it hasn't worked very well since MM+, but to be fair we've been away from the parks for a bit after some negative experiences so maybe things will be better next time.

I won't get into a huge MM+ debate since I know it does work for people who like to plan. Before MM+, we would choose our resort carefully but from there we allowed our vacation plans to be flexible so we didn't have to follow a super tight schedule. We would wake the kids up early and ask them where they wanted to go that day. We would go into the park at opening and do tons of attractions with no lines. Then we'd grab paper FPs to use as the crowds started to build. We'd be out of the park by early afternoon to relax by the pool for a few hours before returning for the evening.

To your point I guess it was more like a beach vacation where you choose your vacation home carefully and maybe make a reservation here or there for dinner or a dolphin cruise but the rest of the vacation was left open so you could just relax and do what you felt like doing.

Those were good times in the parks, and I miss them. I can handle the advanced planning although I do miss the spontaneity and flexibility. But my biggest gripe is that we don't seem to be able to get as much done in the parks. Since MM+, the standby lines don't move like they used to. The parks don't seem to handle crowds the same way. I don't feel like my pass gives me as much value, and I find myself spending more time waiting in lines. I dunno... maybe I just haven't figured it all out yet.

IanDLBZF

Actually...that was poorly done satire. Apologies, I'm not good at lying (or maybe I am). :oops:

I just took @ford91exploder's adventure from January that he hasn't seem to mention until now and just ramped up a few details to make it even more outlandish.

They can't threaten to take your points away if you don't accept lesser accommodations. You are in essence forfeiting points by dropping to a smaller accommodation. The same thing I fibbed that had "happened" to me.

They aren't going to tell you that VIPs are taking your room any more than they would tell you that "Wall Street" types are taking it.

The only modicum of truth in what I said, is I cannot for the life of me get a room that's ready before 4-5 p.m. regardless of what time I say I'm going to be there.
You made that whole story up is what you're telling me?

jakeman

You made that whole story up is what you're telling me?
Pretty much, I thought it was just outlandish enough that folks would pick up on it and get a few eye rolls, especially by saying "Wall Street" types. I was in the wrong apparently. That is the fault of the author, me, not you the reader.

Apologies that I mislead you. I'll just stick to being abrasively honest from now on. I don't do subtlety well it seems. :oops:

Eddie Garrison

Those were good times in the parks, and I miss them. I can handle the advanced planning although I do miss the spontaneity and flexibility. But my biggest gripe is that we don't seem to be able to get as much done in the parks. Since MM+, the standby lines don't move like they used to. The parks don't seem to handle crowds the same way. I don't feel like my pass gives me as much value, and I find myself spending more time waiting in lines. I dunno... maybe I just haven't figured it all out yet.

Yeah. I agree with you 100% there. I also believe they do not handle the stand by queues as well as they once did. I believe they give too many FP's right now. That's the reason (to me) the stand by queues are what they are like now. I understand to a point from Disney's side, though you'd think after this many years they would have it nearly down to some sort of science what days to expect larger than normal crowds and to offer more FP's on those days and fewer on the less crowded days.

And perhaps they do and I am just not aware of such systems being in place. However if they do, they do not seem to be the correct systems in my opinion. But, that's another discussion entirely.

Back to the original topic of our discussion is that I do believe spontaneous visits are doable and you can enjoy yourself. Again depending on the size of your party. Two is VERY doable.

Lou Filerman

I started the other thread about what do you miss at WDW, but to see the other side of the coin, I'd like to know what you think Disney is doing better now than it used to?

I'll start off: immersive experiences - Pandora, Star Wars Land
Disney Springs is a great improvement over what that area was before
La Cava del tequila
Magic bands

I would say pretty much everything. Financials are better, as a stockholder, Iger is amazing. Updating and getting rid of antique, crappy rides, like Ellen and GMR is fantastic. Better rides will bring more people and more $$.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom