What YOU Thought of New Fantasyland so Far

cba

Original Poster
I posted this just to see what people here on the forums think of New Fantasyland so far. I give it a A because I haven't seen SDMT isn't going to open until 2014 and the restrooms won't open until next year. But the Forest and UTSWA looks great so far that it deserves an A+. Same thing with BOG and TWB. What do you think it is?

luis71091

I saw it this weekend, and I thought it was stunning. The attention to detail was amazing. I really felt like I was walking through a forest with all the pine trees and the waterfall. The LM exterior was also just as beautiful. I gotta say though, the castle looks much bigger from far away, you can definitely tell it's a miniature from up close. BOG, I was not able to see in person, but from what I saw in pics, and the most recent video, it's pretty awesome. I can't wait for SDMT to tie the whole area together. I give it an A+ too.

secondstartotheright

I loved it. Everything was just so detailed!! Gaston's tavern is straight from the movie, and even though a lot of people don't like it, I really enjoyed Little Mermaid as well. I just think the whole area is amazing. But what really was sad, was walking back into old fantasyland. After coming from amazingly detailed and elaborate themed environments, renaissance fair tents don't look so good :( I hope they update the facades for the other fantasyland rides..

RandySavage

You asked for it...

Won't be seeing the newest parts for a while, so mostly based on many, many photos & vids:
-Extended Pooh Queue: A
-Castle Walls: A An inspired concept that helps link Cindy Castle to the back of the land, visually holds back the 'forest', frames the Carousel, Mine Train and Mermaid and forms an interior court for the older-style FL architecture.
-Storybook Circus General: A- I appreciate WDI moving the American/20th Century-set Dumbo away from older, European-based Fantasyland Proper and into a unique sub-land (feels like its own land). Deduct a few points because the tents looks plastic-y, rather than old-fashioned, natural canvas.
-Train Station: A
-Pete's Sideshow: A
-Great Goofini: B+ Some deductions for reducing theme-ing (loss of barn and chickens), but the new queue features make up some ground.
-Souvernir shop: A
-Dueling Dumbos: B+ Deductions for visible showbuilding, but positives include some nice finishes and a great lighting package.
-Casey Jr: A
-ETwB Area Exterior: A+
-ETwB Cottage Interior & Workshop: A
-ETwB Wardrobe Interior & Library Interior: C While I think the Wardrobe & Lumiere are fantastic AAs, and have I no problems with the cutouts or the kid-oriented show, I remain somewhat disappointed by the interior finishes. I can forgive the visible show lighting and required-by-law exit signs/fire lights (maybe better frame them), but the electrical plug outlets on the wall (could put covers over those), modern door closers and push-lock releases, the heavy enamel (plastic) paint on super clean & smooth walls & shelves, standard doors, etc... these don't help the rooms look castle-like (But the individual, aged books are a very nice improvement over the painted ones in DCA - that's the kind of attention to aging & detail I'd like to see more of in both rooms).
-ETwB Show: B Had parts 2 & 3 taken place in interior show-spaces on par with the Mermaid queue, it would grade an easy A.
-BoG Exterior: A Waterfall, rockwork, sculptures, trees, castle all look terrific (one visible roof railing, notwithstanding)
-BoG Interior: B+ Haven't seen it all, but it looks to do many things right (arched doorways, relief walls, heavy wooden beams) that were missed in the ETwB "Castle" interiors. The Ballroom doesn't really soar in my eyes, but I am very impressed by the night mountain vista and the snow effect. Looks to be a lot of bright recessed lighting in some areas, which is a little problematic in selling a centuries-old castle...
Belle's Village: A Brilliantly-designed & -executed "fantasyland" architecture & finishes. Small deduction for the visible Mermaid queue building from the bathroom courtyard.
Gastons: A- Interior looks very good, but I think full-sized animal heads instead of the shrunken ones would have worked a little better.
Mermaid Exterior: A
Mermaid Queue: A+ The crab game surprised me. Finishes are up there with the best of the best.
Mermaid the Ride: B+ Points for putting a number of top-quality AAs in FL Darkride. Deductions for totally static, plastic fish (you can buy moving, singing wall-mounted fish for $45 at Cabellas), in-your-eyes show-lighting, slow-moving book-report ride without a real climax. Hard to fairly grade having never ridden it. The Ride itself benefits significantly from the queue - the adventure begins once you move into the caverns (or even under the castle) and culminates in the ride portion (similar to Indiana Jones Adventure in that respect, although the pay-off ride is in a different league). It's not a must-see, get-off-and-get-in-line-again masterpiece that one wishes it could have been, but it is a positive addition. Certain demographics may love it, but I'm not in that demo.

Overall: A It has its flaws or not-quite-fulfilled potential, but as a whole it is a big win: Instead of watering down of theme, as we have grown accustomed to, FLE does the opposite: It strengthens the park's and the land's theme by moving Dumbo to an American circus, by bringing classic Disney fairytales from different eras together in a beautifully-rendered setting. It is much better - theme-wise - than 20K was in that site. When/if the plantings grow in, it could add the beauty of mature shade trees to Fantasyland. I am no fan of toonification of the parks, but they work naturally in this setting.

2013 should be exciting as the Dwarf coaster and Tangled area (followed by Pan queue) will keep this one area of WDW moving in the right direction.

Whew... that was a lot.

PeterMarcus

I saw people taking pictures of the bathrooms, which shows how well this thing is themed. Is anyone taking pictures of the bathrooms outside Peter Pan or in tomorrowland? The area is really surprisingly themed, not just in the new area itself, but you can also see the eventual links with storybook circus. Both have horse hooves and cart tracks in the cement (which looks a bit like mud/dirt), and while circus has elephant and monkey tracks and peanuts in the dirt, the new FL has chickens tracks and such.

There are some minor problems - the castle looks great from some angles, yet a little obvious from others. And, then you get right down to it, the new area is some places to walk, a show, a restaurant, a shop, and a maybe a B to C ticket ride in the same square footage that other places in MK might be a lot more dense with attractions. Gastons is nice, but I expected (perhaps wistfully) more antlers. And more food other than pork shanks, although I applaud that as opposed a cop out of something as unfrench as, say, turkey legs.

There is a lafou's brew thread already, but I would like to add that apple drinks are French (even the French movie in Epcot shows a scene in the village market selling Calvados, a traditional apple brandy sort of drink). Which is just to say, I think a lot of thought went into this area and was actually carried through.

It is so very pretty, though. Waterfalls and pools of water and sounds (frogs and birds and other ambient noises), and the rock work. Green everywhere, some trees are real, some are fake, but this may be a nice refuge in july or august. The bridge to the restaurant is breathtaking, IMHO. Belle's tale is geared toward families with kids, but it still surprises the first time through with the effects, from the magic mirror to the eyes of madam wardrobe, to the beautiful lumiere.

LM was down yesterday when we tried to visit, so no review there, though it was pretty from the outside. I was worried that LM wouldn't fit in with medieval France, but the rock work ties is in pretty successfully, and when 7D comes in, I assume there will be more rock work there, so it will all be some sort of semi-mountainous area.

TalkingHead

I saw people taking pictures of the bathrooms, which shows how well this thing is themed. Is anyone taking pictures of the bathrooms outside Peter Pan or in tomorrowland?

The people photographing the bathrooms were probably the same fanatics who feel the need to obsessively document every square inch of the new land for their online blogs.

(With apologies to Seinfeld)

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The FLE is better than Cars Land. Fact.

Even if I felt that way, and I don't, I would never try to convince someone that it is a fact since something like that can almost never be factual, but instead is an opinion.

I have been to Cars Land but not the FLE. I would say they both have excellent themeing but RSR easily gives Cars Land the win in my book.

afar28

You asked for it...

Won't be seeing the newest parts for a while, so mostly based on many, many photos & vids:
-Extended Pooh Queue: A
-Castle Walls: A An inspired concept that helps link Cindy Castle to the back of the land, visually holds back the 'forest', frames the Carousel, Mine Train and Mermaid and forms an interior court for the older-style FL architecture.
-Storybook Circus General: A- I appreciate WDI moving the American/20th Century-set Dumbo away from older, European-based Fantasyland Proper and into a unique sub-land (feels like its own land). Deduct a few points because the tents looks plastic-y, rather than old-fashioned, natural canvas.
-Train Station: A
-Pete's Sideshow: A
-Great Goofini: B+ Dome deductions for reducing theme-ing (loss of barn and chickens), but the new queue features make up some ground.
-Souvernir shop: A
-Dueling Dumbos: B+ Deductions for visible showbuilding, but positives include some nice finishes and a great lighting package.
-Casey Jr: A
-ETwB Area Exterior: A+
-ETwB Cottage Interior & Workshop: A
-ETwB Wardrobe Interior & Library Interior: D While I think the Wardrobe & Lumiere are fantastic AAs and have I no problems with the cutouts or the kid-oriented show, I remain struck by how wrong the interior castle rooms look (like dressed-up convention center rooms). I can forgive the visible show lighting and required-by-law exit signs/fire lights (could be better framed), but the electrical plug outlets on the wall (put a cover over those, at least), the modern door closers and push-lock releases, the heavy enamel (plastic) paint on super clean & smooth walls & shelves, low ceiling, rectangular doors, etc... it all works to make one, kid or adult, feel in the furthest place from a fairytale or castle (the individual, actual books are nice improvement over the painted ones in DCA - that's the kind of attention to detail I expect from the whole set). In light of the outstanding achievement of the Mermaid/Cottage/Gaston interiors, it's baffling that these rooms ended up this way.
-ETwB Show: B- Had parts 2 & 3 taken place in interior show-spaces on par with the Mermaid queue, it would grade an easy A.
-BoG Exterior: A Waterfall, rockwork, sculptures, trees, castle all look terrific (one visible roof railing, notwithstanding)
-BoG Interior: B+ Haven't seen it all, but it looks to do many things right (arched doorways, relief walls, heavy wooden beams) that were missed in the ETwB "Castle" interiors. The Ballroom doesn't really soar in my eyes, but I am very impressed by the night mountain vista and the snow effect. Looks to be a lot of bright recessed lighting in some areas, which is a little problematic in selling a centuries-old castle...
Belle's Village: A Brilliantly-designed & -executed "fantasyland" architecture & finishes. Small deduction for the visible Mermaid queue building from the bathroom courtyard.
Gastons: A- Interior looks very good, but I think full-sized animal heads instead of the shrunken ones would have worked a little better.
Mermaid Exterior: A
Mermaid Queue: A+ The crab game surprised me. Finishes are up there with the best of the best.
Mermaid the Ride: B+ Points for putting a number of top-quality AAs in FL Darkride. Deductions for totally static, plastic fish (you can buy moving, singing wall-mounted fish for $45 at Cabellas), in-your-eyes show-lighting, slow-moving book-report ride without a real climax. Hard to fairly grade having never ridden it. The Ride itself benefits significantly from the queue - the adventure begins once you move into the caverns (or even under the castle) and culminates in the ride portion (similar to Indiana Jones Adventure in that respect, although the pay-off ride is in a different league). It's not a must-see, get-off-and-get-in-line-again masterpiece that one wishes it could have been, but it is a positive addition. Certain demographics may love it, but I'm not in that demo.

Overall: A It has its flaws or not-quite-fulfilled potential, but as a whole it is a big win: Instead of watering down of theme, as we have grown accustomed to, FLE does the opposite: It strengthens the park's and the land's theme by moving Dumbo to an American circus, by bringing classic Disney fairytales from different eras together in a beautifully-rendered setting. It is much better - theme-wise - than 20K was in that site. When/if the plantings grow in, it could add the beauty of mature shade trees to Fantasyland. I am no fan of toonification of the parks, but they work naturally in this setting.

2013 should be exciting as the Dwarf coaster and Tangled area (followed by Pan queue) will keep this one area of WDW moving in the right direction.

Whew... that was a lot.
Is the next gen Peter Pan queue confirmed?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom