what would you say is too young when bringing a child for the first time?

cynic710

Original Poster
We are planning our next walt disney resort trip for november 2011, my son will be 20 months old...i understand he wont remember much, but i really want to be there for the 40th anniversary celebration. so for those who have brought children that age or younger, was it a good experience?

doc_holiday3500

We took our son at about that age and we loved it. Our son had a great time as well. As you say he may not remember a whole bunch but we have a ton of pictures and great family memories. In fact on our next trip we will be bringing our second 20 month old.

I say if you want to go then you should. Just be prepared to takethings at a slower pace and take lots of breaks. There us something special about seeing Disney World through the eyes of your child for the first time.

Mouse Man

A 20 month old will enjoy almost anything that is new colorful and non frightening. IF this is your family vacation go and enjoy. Just keep in mind that nap times will be needed as well as play time interaction and of course a family water time activity when it is hot like a toddler pool. Don't forget the sunscreen and cool comfortable clothing. If you go down with this mind set then you are going to have a great time. Disney is for adults, couples, kids and families. This is how you start making memories and perhaps one day pass them down and hopefully when your children are grown they will continue the tradition and ivite Mom & Dad on vacation with them. For future trips, don't forget to include Disney cartoon movies so they can relate to Characters even more when they go and really start to notice Disney.

aladdin4000

I am almost 99% sure that my family took me on my first Disney trip at 20 months. Obviously as you mentioned I don't remember a single thing, but I thoroughly enjoy looking at the pictures from when I was a baby and seeing park/ character differences. My parents also video recorded much of the trip and I was addicted at watching the footage after we arrived home for many months! My parents joke now that whenever I was upset as a baby, they popped that tape in and I was always fine soon after! So i say, take the trip! Make the memories and start the traditions early!:)

sublimesting

We are doing the exact same thing next September 2011. We never thought we'd take a kid any less than 5 years old. Now that we'll have a 20 month old then I can't wait until the age of 5. It will be a different trip for sure as the DW and I are very commando style at WDW

DisneyBunny

The earliest I would bring my kid to Disney would depend on how much sleep I was planning on getting. If I've got extended family with me to help with middle-of-the-night feedings, I'd say as early as 3 months or so. If it's just us, I'd wait till the baby was sleeping through the night.

That being said, my daughter went at 5 months, 13 months, 17 months, 20 months, 25 months, 27 months, 29 months and we're going again next week :p

Got to take advantage of the "Free under 3" thing as much as we can! :lol:

They certainly DO get a lot out of a trip, even at such young ages. They can be great learning experiences, bringing out new verbal possibilities and other academic experiences. Colors! Shapes! Textures! Animals! Sounds!

Have fun! :wave:

ABigBrassBand

Between 0 and 72 hours old would be too young. Anything outside of that is just fine.

"Push, push! Ok, now get on the Magical Express, we're heading for the MK!"

Seriously, I think that your child is just fine to go. Just keep in mind that you will have to keep at the pace of the child, and might have to restrict yourself from certain things and take many breaks and pitstops. However, on the brighter side, in 10 years you will look at these photos and smile at the family memories that you will have made, and theres always a plus in exposing your children to the magic early.

nolatron

Our first trip with our daughter was last September and she was 19 months old. She loved it and had a great time. We did too!

I sometimes think it's more a question of not if the child is ready to go, but if the parents are (especially on the first trip), cause it's a whole different (but better) experience in my opinion when you go with kids. You need to do the parks at the kids pace, not yours. You need to take nap breaks, have snack times, etc... Heck, we found nap time back at the resort quiet nice for us growns-up too actually!

We originally didn't think of going until DD was 3 years old for own sanity, not hers. But we opted to give it a shot and it was completely fine. We had a blast with her and she loved seeing all the characters, going on the rides, etc...

She's 27 months now and name every major character and princess and we're looking forward to taking her again in September this year.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Our first trip with our daughter was last September and she was 19 months old. She loved it and had a great time. We did too!

I sometimes think it's more a question of not if the child is ready to go, but if the parents are (especially on the first trip), cause it's a whole different (but better) experience in my opinion when you go with kids. You need to do the parks at the kids pace, not yours. You need to take nap breaks, have snack times, etc... Heck, we found nap time back at the resort quiet nice for us growns-up too actually!

We originally didn't think of going until DD was 3 years old for own sanity, not hers. But we opted to give it a shot and it was completely fine. We had a blast with her and she loved seeing all the characters, going on the rides, etc...

She's 27 months now and name every major character and princess and we're looking forward to taking her again in September this year.
This is 100% correct. The real question should not be "How old should my child be before I take him/her to WDW?" but "What will I need to do to make sure that my X year old will enjoy the trip?"

Buried20KLeague

Add me to the list of people saying you'll have a great time.

We took our latest little one "across the pond" to Disney Paris when she was 5 months, and honstly it was a great time. There were times you could really tell she was having a BLAST.

Then we just took her to WDW in December, and she had an even better time, understood more, and got to ride quite a few rides.

Now we have a trip planned for October, and she's already talking about the castle and fireworks and boats and Mickey and everything else.

Go, take your time, and have fun! :wave:

I am in the car heading back from WDW as I type. I brought my 4yo and my 8 month old.

The first time I took my 4yo she was 2 1/2. My 9 month old enjoyed herself, believe it or not. I know she will never remember it. I know my 4yo's memories of her 2 1/2 yo trip are fuzzy, but it was about the moment!

There are so many things they don't remember from being little, but that doesn't mean lock 'em up 'till they will.

Go and enjoy yourself!!

The Mom

Premium Member
As long as you understand that this trip is for YOUR memories, not your child's, 20 months is a wonderful age to visit WDW.

We have wonderful photos of laughing, smiling children having a great time. Do my 26 & 17 year old remember those trips? Well, the elder does remember being there with her baby brother, but in general, no they don't remember.

But do I? You betcha! :)

pescador1f

I would wait til they are walking, I know its hard to plan that way, I was lucky and planned to go on my son's first birthday, he was walking like a champ at 9 months, so it woked out perfect.

erinshaneb

My hubby and I went 5 years in a row and would talk about the people with young babies there..They parents looked miserable and you know the kids didnt' remember it..Now here we are 5 years later taking our 4 year old and our 9 month old and i wouldn't have it any other way..I just told hubby to be prepared to not get everythign done that we normally do and we will have to go back and take naps..extremely important...Our daughter is the perfect age and my son has a Mickey Mouse room and has been fasicinated with the Mickey that hangs over his changing table since he was month old..I can't wait

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
My hubby and I went 5 years in a row and would talk about the people with young babies there..They parents looked miserable and you know the kids didnt' remember it..Now here we are 5 years later taking our 4 year old and our 9 month old and i wouldn't have it any other way..I just told hubby to be prepared to not get everythign done that we normally do and we will have to go back and take naps..extremely important...Our daughter is the perfect age and my son has a Mickey Mouse room and has been fasicinated with the Mickey that hangs over his changing table since he was month old..I can't wait
I can relate. I was then same way. Then I had my own kids......

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom