What will it take to stop you from going to WDW?

What will it take to stop you from going to WDW?

• Attraction line system that actually makes the whole experience worse

• Escalating or out of control prices. Nickle & diming the customers

• Replacing favorite rides with IPs

• Removing favorite or beloved attractions

• Reduced entertainment like shows, fireworks, meet & greets, etc.

• Opening new rides with inferior effects

• Hate Disney management

• Overcrowded making it less enjoyable

• Disrepair or poor condition of the parks and rides

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

sinead

There is another situation that worked in my decision not to return to WDW in the future. I can make ADR 70 days out, but cannot make ride reservations. This ends up in Genie+ not working for me. Recently, I bought Genie+ But could not use it because day of, the only rides available were either during my dining reservations or so much later that we were no longer in the park.

I’m retired, older and limited in the hours I can spend in a park. So, I could either not dine at a TS restaurant, pay the penalty for not showing up or skip the rides I wanted. All of these options were not desirable.

I won’t be returning in 2022 or 2023. I’ve told my Authorized Disney Travel Planner to book me an all-inclusive (non-Disney) Caribbean resort trip for my next vacation. I won’t return to Disney for five or more years and not until they restore the vacation experience that I'm used to.
THAT sounds heavenly! Enjoy! 🌴 🌺

kcnole

I've already stopped going. The prices and technology just make it no fun anymore. I miss the days when everyone was treated equal. If you had a ticket, you had an equal chance to ride. Ride lines used to be long, but moved fast, now they're all terribly slow in standby thanks to lightning lane. And at least when it was fastpass you could deal with it because you had an equal chance to get a pass, but not any longer. Now you've got to drop another 100 bucks or so for a family of 4 if you want to ride one of the top rides.

I don't have the patience to plan my restaurants, rides, etc... out 60 - 90 days before I arrive, and I've been priced out of everything else. It sucks, because I love Disney, but it seems Disney no longer loves its customers like it once did. It used to be the most magical place on Earth, now it's just the priciest.

jasminethecat

I've already stopped going. The prices and technology just make it no fun anymore. I miss the days when everyone was treated equal. If you had a ticket, you had an equal chance to ride. Ride lines used to be long, but moved fast, now they're all terribly slow in standby thanks to lightning lane. And at least when it was fastpass you could deal with it because you had an equal chance to get a pass, but not any longer. Now you've got to drop another 100 bucks or so for a family of 4 if you want to ride one of the top rides.

I don't have the patience to plan my restaurants, rides, etc... out 60 - 90 days before I arrive, and I've been priced out of everything else. It sucks, because I love Disney, but it seems Disney no longer loves its customers like it once did. It used to be the most magical place on Earth, now it's just the priciest.
I agree you. I had a poll a while back, which was as useless as any discussion here because disney doesn't give a damn about anything we think or say here. My $0.02 would be that Disney should go back to a free fastpass system, offer less of them so it does not impact the regular standby lines, and just raise the ticket prices for everyone since they need extra money so badly. Half of the available fast passes should be released for reserved disney hotel guests 60 days out for people who want to fight over them, and the other half released the day-of, and the total number of passes per hour should be less than 25% of the observed (not theoretical) ride capacity. It's a practical system where you can get reservations in advance if you have specific things you want to ride, park hotel guests get some tangible benefit for booking on site, people who don't plan far in advance still have a shot at making reservations, and standby riders aren't completely screwed over. And the best part is that Disney still gets to overcharge, just doing it the the same to everyone, which makes the upcharge less per person and allows people the ability to factor in the total cost of a trip better during their booking phase.

Here is a realistic example assuming that 50% of guests currently pay for ILL and genie+ ride upcharges:
  • the final booking page says "your trip costs $5500" but you know you will have to pay $400 extra during the trip to get on rides every day. And if you didn't know about that or you cannot afford it, you will have a horrible time in standby lines.
  • the final booking page says "your trip costs $5700" and you know you will have a fair experience with no surprise charges
I would gladly choose the 2nd option.

mcurtiss

We were supposed to go down last July but in the spring Disney cancelled all dance events at the MK including the ability to march in one of the daytime parades. This was to be a huge perk for going. Cancelling was not a biggie in the context of things (pandemic wise, etc), but a disappointment. We could have chosen to continue to go but we would then be staying off-world and dealing with the park reservation system et al. Not our cup of tea so we bowed out.

There is a slight chance that we could be in Orlando this coming June for a few days for another dance competition . Totally non-Disney event so the event package is an off-world hotel with no Disney anything. We could choose stay at a resort hotel, I suppose, but would be nowhere near the dance site and not have the hotel discounts. Not Disney's fault obviously; but a factor in whether we go or not.

At this point, taking in all of the complaints and issues with current Disney policies, I'm not sure its worth it to try for a day in a park (or two) being an off-site park guest.

Having last gone in 2013; I think, in my mind, we were incredibly spoiled by the Magical Express (awesome) and the FP system (totally workable system).

Everything about visiting a Disney park these days seems like drudgery to me. and I'm a planner. I love to plan. My wife and kid love to plan. The current system seems a little beyond though.

So we will go back at some point (staying on-world of course), but perhaps not until things are ironed out.

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
I agree you. I had a poll a while back, which was as useless as any discussion here because disney doesn't give a damn about anything we think or say here. My $0.02 would be that Disney should go back to a free fastpass system, offer less of them so it does not impact the regular standby lines, and just raise the ticket prices for everyone since they need extra money so badly. Half of the available fast passes should be released for reserved disney hotel guests 60 days out for people who want to fight over them, and the other half released the day-of, and the total number of passes per hour should be less than 25% of the observed (not theoretical) ride capacity. It's a practical system where you can get reservations in advance if you have specific things you want to ride, park hotel guests get some tangible benefit for booking on site, people who don't plan far in advance still have a shot at making reservations, and standby riders aren't completely screwed over. And the best part is that Disney still gets to overcharge, just doing it the the same to everyone, which makes the upcharge less per person and allows people the ability to factor in the total cost of a trip better during their booking phase.

Here is a realistic example assuming that 50% of guests currently pay for ILL and genie+ ride upcharges:
  • the final booking page says "your trip costs $5500" but you know you will have to pay $400 extra during the trip to get on rides every day. And if you didn't know about that or you cannot afford it, you will have a horrible time in standby lines.
  • the final booking page says "your trip costs $5700" and you know you will have a fair experience with no surprise charges
I would gladly choose the 2nd option.
This actually doesn't sound half bad, which means that Disney would never consider it. They don't consider anything to better the customer's experience. They'll pay for it in the long run. It'll take a while, but most people will make a trip to the parks and just have a rotten time due to a terrible queue process, LL, Genie+, etc. When people have a bad experience on a vacation that cost them $6k, that's sure to leave a bad taste in their mouth. When that happens to enough people, there will be tumbleweeds blowing around the parks. I know that seems like wishful thinking, but the new system/process is so terrible that it will leave a bad taste in the mouth for just about everyone.
  • Folks who don't do their research will have a terrible time when they realize they can't do much by just showing up, or not getting their park reservations, or whatever.
  • Folks who do a ton of research and are very diligent, will be ahead of the game. They'll see how expensive it will be and decide to not go because "eff that", or they'll go and realize the experience wasn't anywhere near worth the hassle and ridiculous cost.
  • People who have tons of expendable cash can buy themselves some fun, but there's still the hassle part of the deal. It's not just the money. It's the diminishing returns for that money. The hassle to schedule stuff. If you're a billionaire, but don't do the appropriate amount of homework, and get up early enough to schedule rides on your phone, you're still not going to have a good time.
  • People who don't have much money and don't do enough research are going to be pi$$ed after they schedule everything and realize BEFORE visiting how expensive everything is, and then realize upon arrival it actually costs a ton more are not going to be happy.
It's as if Disney put a team in a room and said... "how can we turn just about everyone who visits the parks against us???" Guess what Disney...
Mission Accomplished.JPG

Last edited:

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
Nothing. Absolutely nothing will stop me from going to WDW. However, I used to go 3 weeks per year. Now I'm cutting down to 3 days per year. So, my total donation towards the Disney cause has decreased.
I guess technically you haven't "stopped" because you haven't gone cold turkey... which is perfectly fine btw. I don't think anyone is suggesting that everyone needs to stop going, but you are making a HUGE statement with your reducing so drastically. For that I say more power to you... literally. I find it a little odd they way you start your statement almost in strong defense of Disney, but then say you're cutting off approximately 86% of your patronage. Again, I think it's great that you're sending a message with your dollars, but why the strong support in saying "Nothing. Absolutely nothing will stop me..." 😁 Just curious.

GimpYancIent

Nothing. Absolutely nothing will stop me from going to WDW. However, I used to go 3 weeks per year. Now I'm cutting down to 3 days per year. So, my total donation towards the Disney cause has decreased.
For those 3 (three) days per year do you stay on property or off property and just visit venues? That would also make a difference in the size of your "donation".

jasminethecat

• Folks who don't do their research will have a terrible time when they realize they can't do much by just showing up, or not getting their park reservations, or whatever
Please don't judge me for being selfish, but my satisfaction on planning a WDW trip relies on the fact that most people are having a worse time than I am because they weren't as good at planning. While I don't want people to have a bad time, i acknowledge that unless we have a system like what i described above, we will continue to have a massive disparity between the "have's and have not's" at WDW. That's not even all about money...I can easily stay at Pop Century with my wife and spend more on ride upgrades and have a better time than a family in any moderate or deluxe resort. I took my family of 5 during thanksgiving week in 2017, from the saturday before until black friday, and we rode everything, ate like kings with free dining, and had the best trip ever for almost exactly $5000 staying at AoA. I "gamed" the heck out of that trip and used every bit of knowledge i could find to have a perfect final trip with my 3 kids before graduations and college (and covid) would ensure we are never likely to go again as a party of 5.

I guess my point is that we will always have people who don't know, who don't plan, and who fill the park but aren't really in our way of having fun. I feel bad if they never want to come back, but I cannot possibly help them all unless I switch careers. I will always seek to have a "better than average" time and most people will not...unless you want a popcorn bucket at EPCOT, then we're all screwed.

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
...unless you want a popcorn bucket at EPCOT, then we're all screwed.

Not getting the joke, I googled it. Is it just me, or does anyone else think that after humanity has destroyed itself one way or another, in about 10,000 years aliens will visit the Earth and see millions of plastic Mickey head popcorn buckets and wonder wth created them and what they were for? I like watching documentaries where they speculate the use of one discovered item or another. 🤣

Last edited:

mysto

Not getting the joke, I googled it. Is it just me, or does anyone else think that after humanity has destroyed itself one way or another, in about 10,000 years aliens will visit the Earth and see millions of plastic Mickey head popcorn buckets and wonder wth created them and what they were for? I like watching documentaries where they speculate the use of one discovered item or another. 🤣
Considering the way we look at statues at ancient sites, we obviously worshipped Micky as a god. Popcorn was a sacrement.

Goofyernmost

Please don't judge me for being selfish, but my satisfaction on planning a WDW trip relies on the fact that most people are having a worse time than I am because they weren't as good at planning. While I don't want people to have a bad time, i acknowledge that unless we have a system like what i described above, we will continue to have a massive disparity between the "have's and have not's" at WDW. That's not even all about money...I can easily stay at Pop Century with my wife and spend more on ride upgrades and have a better time than a family in any moderate or deluxe resort. I took my family of 5 during thanksgiving week in 2017, from the saturday before until black friday, and we rode everything, ate like kings with free dining, and had the best trip ever for almost exactly $5000 staying at AoA. I "gamed" the heck out of that trip and used every bit of knowledge i could find to have a perfect final trip with my 3 kids before graduations and college (and covid) would ensure we are never likely to go again as a party of 5.

I guess my point is that we will always have people who don't know, who don't plan, and who fill the park but aren't really in our way of having fun. I feel bad if they never want to come back, but I cannot possibly help them all unless I switch careers. I will always seek to have a "better than average" time and most people will not...unless you want a popcorn bucket at EPCOT, then we're all screwed.
It is wonderful that you are a superior planner. That is a handy talent. However, it is only handy if you know that it is needed to simply go to a theme park. I was fortunate that I made my first WDW encounter in 1983. It would never have occurred to me that it would require so much complication to ride an amusement park ride. Or that I should even have to research it.

It is extremely possible that a first timer might be familiar with the name WDW but not the cluster it currently is. They might not know that it is more work now go to a place that is thought of as a fun place then actually working for a living. Yes, the price is high, but likely not indicative of the degree of planning that is involved. And that every time they make a move it involves someone's hand reaching in their pocket and removing more and more money.

I went to Europe for a month long adventure (I won't say vacation because it was anything but relaxing) but it involved less complicated planning than a trip to a fantasy theme park. It is not always a matter of being good at planning as it is having the knowledge that planning might be required.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

Agree went in the 70's and 80's never required planning but each subsequent decade it took more and more planning to where we are now.
But that's pretty much everything where. When I first flew, I went to laquardia my dad walked me up to the gate , handed the gate agent ticket got on. Often times got there maybe 30 minutes prior. Now air travel requires planning.
Went to Iceland last month, getting covid testing itself required some planning. I know it's not exactly the same but my question is, in today's tech savvy and Google slap happy world. There are still first timer that roll up to Disney unawares?? Heck in most major destinations you still need a dinner reservation to get seated yet people don't know this??

Last edited:

John park hopper

Got to as Liz how was your trip to Iceland ? Son went precovid and loved it. Unfortunately everything requires planning these days A lot more people, a lot more security.

eliza61nyc

Got to as Liz how was your trip to Iceland ? Son went precovid and loved it. Unfortunately everything requires planning these days A lot more people, a lot more security.
OMG absolutely fabulous. My first time and actually never
20220217_110247.jpg
thought to visit but a friend invited me when her husband couldn't go.
20220217_104648.jpg

20220216_161229.jpg

Op, sorry for the o/t. Unfortunately traveling is not easy anymore 😞

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom