What to Expect?

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
Hi all! DH and I will be visiting both Universal parks on one day, Thursday 3/3/16. We have been to Universal a few times before. What can we expect in relation to crowd levels, temporary closures, permanent closures, new rides, and more? The only existing attraction we haven't experienced yet is Diagon Alley and the train to Hogsmeade so we will be sure to hit this first. Any other touring plan suggestions? Dining suggestions?

Thanks!

Tinkerkelle

Hi. We'll be there in 3 weeks!! Disaster and the Lucy tribute have closed. Lucy is becoming a Hello Kitty store and Disaster is making way for the Fast and Furious ride, if I remember right, but that's not opening till 2017 when the new water park, Volcano Bay, also opens.
Kong opens next year but think it will be later than your visit. Twister and Beetlejuice both seem to be for the chop too but you have Diagon Alley to look forward to. Will be our first time to experience it too and can't wait. Uni have lots of plans for new attractions but have to close some of the old first to make way for the new.
We're most excited about the new citywalk restaurants. Love the Cowfish menu and heard great things about red oven pizza. We got a real kick out of eating a krusty burger in moe's tavern (food was standard theme park fare) and the enormous lard lad donuts are delicious and feed 4!! The Harry Potter restaurants are also great fun, especially the three broomsticks in hogsmeade-amazing theming. Quick service is ok at Uni but the table service is often far better and not too expensive, particularly when you compare prices to WDW table service, but sitting down to eat cuts into your park time.
Unsure of crowds but march is low season? As to touring, mornings are traditionally quieter and so the best time to hit up the rides where queues build quickly and stay big-everything to do with Harry Potter, Minions and the like. Being at the parks in plenty time for opening lets you be within the first crowds into the park and so first in line for popular rides. If DA is a priority you could head there first? You could also make a note of the rides you want to do, where they are in each park, average wait times, etc and prioritise an order and come up with a plan.
Enjoy!!

JourneysEnd

Hi all! DH and I will be visiting both Universal parks on one day, Thursday 3/3/16. We have been to Universal a few times before. What can we expect in relation to crowd levels, temporary closures, permanent closures, new rides, and more? The only existing attraction we haven't experienced yet is Diagon Alley and the train to Hogsmeade so we will be sure to hit this first. Any other touring plan suggestions? Dining suggestions?

Thanks!
Buy the Express Pass Doesn't work for HP but it will save loads of time for everything else.

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
Buy the Express Pass Doesn't work for HP but it will save loads of time for everything else.
We were thinking we would pass. We've done it before having gone during slow times and it was a waste of money. Will it be busy enough on a Thursday in the beginning of March to buy it? We were thinking no....

JourneysEnd

We were thinking we would pass. We've done it before having gone during slow times and it was a waste of money. Will it be busy enough on a Thursday in the beginning of March to buy it? We were thinking no....
It really nice for rides like Minion Mayhem that always seem to have 45 min standby times. I always stay at Royal Pacific and it comes free with the room. I don't think it's going to be particularly crowded on your dates. You can usually buy last minute if you find you need one.

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
Hi. We'll be there in 3 weeks!! Disaster and the Lucy tribute have closed. Lucy is becoming a Hello Kitty store and Disaster is making way for the Fast and Furious ride, if I remember right, but that's not opening till 2017 when the new water park, Volcano Bay, also opens.
Kong opens next year but think it will be later than your visit. Twister and Beetlejuice both seem to be for the chop too but you have Diagon Alley to look forward to. Will be our first time to experience it too and can't wait. Uni have lots of plans for new attractions but have to close some of the old first to make way for the new.
We're most excited about the new citywalk restaurants. Love the Cowfish menu and heard great things about red oven pizza. We got a real kick out of eating a krusty burger in moe's tavern (food was standard theme park fare) and the enormous lard lad donuts are delicious and feed 4!! The Harry Potter restaurants are also great fun, especially the three broomsticks in hogsmeade-amazing theming. Quick service is ok at Uni but the table service is often far better and not too expensive, particularly when you compare prices to WDW table service, but sitting down to eat cuts into your park time.
Unsure of crowds but march is low season? As to touring, mornings are traditionally quieter and so the best time to hit up the rides where queues build quickly and stay big-everything to do with Harry Potter, Minions and the like. Being at the parks in plenty time for opening lets you be within the first crowds into the park and so first in line for popular rides. If DA is a priority you could head there first? You could also make a note of the rides you want to do, where they are in each park, average wait times, etc and prioritise an order and come up with a plan.
Enjoy!!
Great info-thank you! Have fun!

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
It really nice for rides like Minion Mayhem that always seem to have 45 min standby times. I always stay at Royal Pacific and it comes free with the room. I don't think it's going to be particularly crowded on your dates. You can usually buy last minute if you find you need one.
Good thinking. I think we will feel it out and buy if need be. Thanks!

Tinkerkelle

Just remembered, Hulk down for a long refurbishment. Not opening till beginning of next summer :( My oldest is a very petite 11 year old and many of his friends have been riding the hulk on their visits for a few years. This year he is finally tall enough...and it shut 4 weeks before we will arrive!!! :eek:

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
Just remembered, Hulk down for a long refurbishment. Not opening till beginning of next summer :( My oldest is a very petite 11 year old and many of his friends have been riding the hulk on their visits for a few years. This year he is finally tall enough...and it shut 4 weeks before we will arrive!!! :eek:
Not a huge bummer for us as we don't ride Hulk-but the crowds that would've gone to that will flock to other things nooooo! Oh no poor kid ugh sorry!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom