What race to run?

BrianV

Original Poster
Hi -

New to the whole run-disney thing. I know I've missed the sign ups for this year, but maybe I'll make next year. When are the 2016-17 dates announced? Sounds like they sell out quickly what what I've read here and elsewhere.

As far as the races, I'd be up for a 5 or 10k. Would love to try for the half but I don't think that is in my future as far as training times--though maybe in a few years. Are any of the 5 or 10ks better than the others? More fun would be running through parks and less fun would be in the parking lots. Looks like none of the 5 or 10ks run through MK which is too bad.

I know a bit open ended, but thanks in advance for any advice.

imagination30

hello , and welcome -
as for announcement of dates for future races - check out rundisney.com , and sign up for email reminders .
they also have training tips and other goodies. , and as for signing up for races be on your p's and q.. bc as you said yes they do fill up quick. as for the 5k and 10 k . i dont know much about bc ialways run the half .. , but I do hear the jingle5k in nov. is fun that is the wine and dine weekend... , but training and planning is the funest part other than running thought the parks!,.. so thats just my advice.. ..

LindsayLoves

Hi Brian welcome to the runDisney boards!

Since you mentioned the Magic Kingdom I assume you'd be more interested in a race at WDW and not Disneyland, is that right? The shorter races tend to sell out the fastest as they are most appealing to people like yourself who want to join in the fun but don't want to commit to major mileage. So if you know you want to run a race be ready as soon as it goes on sale to be sure that you get in. Disney is very good about posting signup dates and times.

Be aware runDisney is constantly adding new races and can and will change race courses based on construction or other considerations, recently they have not been posting the race routes until a few months before the race, heck they haven't even posted the maps for the Disneyland 5k/10k/half and those races are in 40 days.

There aren't a ton of 5k/10k options at WDW as of today here are the options
Jingle jungle 5k - during Wine and Dine half weekend and the most unique course that goes through animal kingdom only which is super unique

Marathon weekend in January has a 5k and 10k and as it stands now these two courses are pretty similar. The 10k does has a bit of that running through parking lots thing you mentioned for the first three miles but you get to go around the world showcase when it's dark which is pretty amazing and then for the 10k you get the bonus of going around Boardwalk/beach/yacht club area which I loved last year

Princess half marathon weekend has both a 5k and 10k but those are definitely geared towards women not sure if you'd love them - these routes are the same as the races marathon weekend

Vegas Disney Fan

Run them all, that's what I do! :)

I'm not sure where you live but if you have a choice I'd recommend the Disneyland races. You can sleep in later, they are easier logistically because everything is within walking distance, and if you are running a 5k or 10k you spend most of your time in the parks.

Last edited:

JasonDeyoung

Welcome to the world of runDisney addiction. I started off doing the Everest Challenge which was tech a 5k but had an additional s avenger hunt. But that race is discontinued after this year. I ran the WDW 10k this past January and loved it! It starts in the Epcot parking lot and you exit run up the road along Epcot to around mile 3 and head into world showcase which was so awesome seeing! Goes to the int'l entrance and out around boardwalk and back through future world finishing just past spaceship earth in the parking lot. If recommend that run to anyone and def will be doing it again! It's over marathon weekend in January. I'll attatch a screen shot from my runkeeper. I'm doing the wine & dine 1/2 in November! I've heard the jingle jungle 5k is fun it is the same course as Everest that I mentioned above. Now, as for the races in 2016-2017 I'll be curious with all the construction going on. Anyways all the races are so awesome and you'll not go wrong with whatever you pic
image.jpg

Texas84

Star Wars races at Disneyland were my favorite short runs. They do 5K, 10K and half (did them all in January). But all the runDisney races are fun. I enjoyed the January short races over Marathon weekend through Epcot but the entire weekend can be a bit stressful.

My first Disney race was the Halloween 5K through MK. Too bad they don't do that anymore.

BrianV

Original Poster
Thanks all! This is a huge help and was motivational to me this am before I ran a 5K up in boston this morning with my best time so far! (But it is early in my running career started post 40yo, so not saying much...)

Maybe I should just hold out and train and find myself in a place to do a 1/2 eventually. Running past the castle would be amazing! But if I never make it to that point, I do want a chance to run in disney. The 10 k sounds like the best one of the rest. But the animal kingdom one sounds great too!!!

I'd love to make it to California some day, but for many reason, including family in Florida, we are far more likely to be at wdw. (I've never even been to disney land!)

Again, thanks. I will be there in 2016-2017, just need to decide what I'll be running!

dreamfinder

Welcome to the running forum. Most of the 5ks and 10ks take place in the Epcot area using the same course. Doing them at MK or AK isn't unheard of though, as pointed out the 5k for the W&D 1/2 is at AK. So in those cases, it usually comes down to when you want to be at WDW, and pick the race from there. The 5k and 10k will sell out pretty fast, especially now that the 10k races are usually tied into a challenge event which occupies a large portion of the bibs. (Marathon weekend in January, about 75% of the 5k/10k slots are allocated for Dopey Challenge runners, leaving about 2,500-3,000 bibs for everyone else) If you look at the stickies for the races I usually try to keep the registration levels updated so you can get an idea how fast it filled up.

The rest of the dates for 2016 dates 2017 will probably be similar to what they were this year. Unless they pull something out of thin air, I don't think we will see anything new at WDW for a few years. With the construction underway/rumored for DHS makes that harder to use for races and the calendar is getting pretty full.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom