What is your favorite remnant of a defunct Disney attraction that can still be seen in the parks today??

SMRT-1 🌐

Original Poster
In recent years I’ve become an avid follower of extinct Disney rides, especially from classic Epcot Center. Something about them fascinates me much beyond belief, and I find myself wishing I could’ve experienced these rides for myself. Going to the parks I really enjoy finding remnants of these old rides, especially authentic props and pieces. I know about a lot of them currently, but drop some down below so we can all learn something new from each other!!

FettFan

Well… the spaceship props from Flight of the Navigator used to be on the Backlot Tour at DHS.

db4dcea060a064bcd7929fc5637ca0398f997101.jpeg

One of them is now featured in Tomorrowland.

5362201075_c1c3416a5b_z.jpg

This movie just doesn’t get enough love.

SMRT-1 🌐

Original Poster
Here’s one of my personal favorites!! A remnant of the turntable scene from Journey into Imagination, where Dreamfinder and Figment were first introduced. Up on the ceiling in ImageWorks, you can see the curved rail that was a part of this.

Attachments

• B26B855F-B463-458B-982C-9190A28FCA60.jpeg
    B26B855F-B463-458B-982C-9190A28FCA60.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 150
  • D36DDF9E-EB93-416D-91BE-7B0881D8BB4F.jpeg
    D36DDF9E-EB93-416D-91BE-7B0881D8BB4F.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 156

FettFan

Here’s one of my personal favorites!! A remnant of the turntable scene from Journey into Imagination, where Dreamfinder and Figment were first introduced. Up on the ceiling in ImageWorks, you can see the curved rail that was a part of this.

1. I’ve never noticed that before.

2. Ouch. Just ouch.

S.I.R. the Robot

In the Parks
No
I've never been to EPCOT, but original JII musta been fire. OG Figment sounds like DiC Yoshi (IYKYK)

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
There's a new nod to food rocks on the apron in the final scene of Carousel of Progress.

The music in the imagination bathrooms.

The landscaping that used to line up with Horizons is still there close to mission space.

Over at Disneyland, the heads from CBJ hang in Winnie the Pooh.

Mr. Toad tombstone at the pet cemetery at haunted mansion.

The dragon cave thing on the river next to Pandora that was for beastly kingdom advertisement.

Isn't the new elephant at the end of jungle cruise the one used in the original plot line for kilimanjaro safaris? I could be wrong in that one though.

World of motion animatronics in pirates. Specifically the pigs.

The literally abandoned cranium command and body wars show buildings. And stitchs great escape. And discovery island.

The circle vision theater layout leftover from timekeeper in monsters inc laugh floor

Closed, but cool. The milk carton was recycled from kitchen kabaret over into food rocks.

Disneyland haunted mansion nightmare overlays oogie boogie animatronic used to be big al

Recycled animatronics in the monsters inc dark ride from superstar limo in California adventure

Dwarf animatronics at the end of seven dwarves mine train coaster are from the OG dark ride

3 caballeros animatronic at Epcot are from the old mickey mouse revue animatronic show.

And there are pleeeeenty more...

muddyrivers

There's a new nod to food rocks on the apron in the final scene of Carousel of Progress.

The music in the imagination bathrooms.

The landscaping that used to line up with Horizons is still there close to mission space.

Over at Disneyland, the heads from CBJ hang in Winnie the Pooh.

Mr. Toad tombstone at the pet cemetery at haunted mansion.

The dragon cave thing on the river next to Pandora that was for beastly kingdom advertisement.

Isn't the new elephant at the end of jungle cruise the one used in the original plot line for kilimanjaro safaris? I could be wrong in that one though.

World of motion animatronics in pirates. Specifically the pigs.

The literally abandoned cranium command and body wars show buildings. And stitchs great escape. And discovery island.

The circle vision theater layout leftover from timekeeper in monsters inc laugh floor

Closed, but cool. The milk carton was recycled from kitchen kabaret over into food rocks.

Disneyland haunted mansion nightmare overlays oogie boogie animatronic used to be big al

Recycled animatronics in the monsters inc dark ride from superstar limo in California adventure

Dwarf animatronics at the end of seven dwarves mine train coaster are from the OG dark ride

3 caballeros animatronic at Epcot are from the old mickey mouse revue animatronic show.

And there are pleeeeenty more...
Keep going, keep going! :D

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Keep going, keep going! :D
Maelstrom nods in the Frozen Ever After Queue/the waterfall is technically a good remnant of the opening that used to be there... As well as the boats themselves.

You can look up pictures of the abandoned Food Rocks stage that sat for a few years before turning into restrooms.

Uh-Oha animatronic is in a tiki-themed bar at one of the resorts... Never been there myself, though.

Figment, OG abominable snowman, and the octopus from CBJ can be found in the queue line at mission breakout at california adventure

A few animatronics in Spaceship Earth are the same molds of presidents and carousel of progress characters.

Grandma from Carousel of Progress is sitting in a rocking chair in Haunted Mansion.

The pre-show video for the incredicoaster at california adventure pays tribute to california screamin via a joke. Same to classic epcot in the pre-show bits for guardians at epcot.

"Dean Finder" is a name on one of the doors in the Imagination ride... Reference to Dreamfinder.

The tree outside the Winnie the Pooh attraction was originally used in Pooh's Playful Spot, a playground at Magic Kingdom.

One everyone knows, Splash Mountain AAs recycled from America Sings (Disneyland)

The vultures from Scary Adventures are now on Seven Dwarfs Mine Train as well.

Retired-- Skippy was used from Alien Encounter over into Stitch's Great Escape.

The floats in festival of the lion king were originally used for a lion king parade at Disneyland.

The OG Captain Rex is in the Star Tours queue "malfunctioning" shouting some dialogue from the original ride. He is also a DJ now in Galaxy's Edge.

DISCLAIMER-- oogie boogie animatronic was ORIGINALLY big al but was re-built from scratch later. Just found this out.

At Disneyland, Pooh's honey pot suspended from the ceiling used to be Teddi Beara's swing.

yensidtlaw1969

I've actually heard conflicting reports on twitter about this one recently and can't remember what the verdict was. Does anyone recall?
The designer of the Tomorrowland Cool Scanner came forward and said that the spaceship was newly designed and built, not a repurposed prop, and that he has never even seen Flight of the Navigator. So that myth seems pretty thoroughly busted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom