What is the corral of shame?

mufasa0505

Interesting. I was in B and had a blast. I heard that they had to shut down the course because their parade permit was almost expired, but who know?

Blue_Pearl

probably wise. Most of us have not even had our emails returned yet, so the story may not be over. I have heard some say that the races are over booked. This one seemed to be. Hopefully the problem will be solved before the next run.

dreamfinder

What would shed some light on this is if we knew what happened to the balloon lady. If she made it through the gate and they closed it behind her, well then... On the other hand if she was swept then there was a big problem somewhere seeing that technically the balloon lady is the only runner that cannot be swept.

Except aren't the bike riders the official word? Some of the Facebook postings was indicating that the balloon lady isn't official, and only does it cause she wants to.

And I can't speak for the reports of her pacing (official or otherwise) being fast, but having run with the Clif bar pacers who had us pass 2 other pace groups, I can attest to the fact that the pacers aren't always perfect. Having your own watch as a backup is key.

Blue_Pearl

Thank you so much for not being mean to me. So many on the Run Disney Facebook page have treated those of us who did not complete the run badly. We all know we were unable to manage a winning pace, for whatever reason, but it is nice to be able to talk about it without being further shamed.
Thank you all again. This is more like the Disney experience we were looking for.

Mad Stitch

Except aren't the bike riders the official word? Some of the Facebook postings was indicating that the balloon lady isn't official, and only does it cause she wants to.

I thought the bike riders were the official time keepers also until I read that article someone posted about the balloon lady. I can't seem to find where that was posted.

FerretAfros

Very interesting to hear about what happened. I saw a large herd of runners being walked along the old road that led to the Timon lot as I was walking back to the hotel, and tried to figure out why they were being corralled and randomly stopped by CMs. We figured that they had been directed that way, instead of down Harbor onto Katella, because they had to reopen the roads; I had no idea that they didn't even make it out of the parks in the first place

Interesting. I was in B and had a blast. I heard that they had to shut down the course because their parade permit was almost expired, but who know?
It still seems very strange to me that people were held at the TOT gate, rather than going the extra 100' out to Harbor, and just turning right (cutting about 1.2 miles from the course). With the number of people that were stopped, it seems like moving them on foot would be the only logical way to get them all back to the staging area. I wonder if there was something else going on (burst pipe, medical emergency, etc) that required the closure of that specific part of the backstage road, which caused things to back up

Banzai

@Blue_Pearl..I've never seen an untoward comment on these pages and the folks are really helpful. Hang around for awhile and swap stories and questions with us. You won't regret it.
If you sign up for the Disneyland 10k or Half, be sure to get in touch with me for a meet up. I'll be out there

Texas84

Thank you so much for not being mean to me. So many on the Run Disney Facebook page have treated those of us who did not complete the run badly. We all know we were unable to manage a winning pace, for whatever reason, but it is nice to be able to talk about it without being further shamed.
Thank you all again. This is more like the Disney experience we were looking for.

I'm disappointed in runDisney. They way you were treated was unacceptable. And I'm a big runDisney fanboy.

-em

Im mixed emotion about the whole Tink 10K thing-

I was scrolling though the results of the race after hearing of the whole 'swept' thing and very few runners who did not finish had 'on pace' 5K times- Most that I saw had 55-1:05 min time stamps (for a 15-16 min pace it should be approx 45-48 min) this was their clock time not gun time- So regardless even if the pacer was going a 15min mile that still doesnt give 'just cause' to most of the argument when they are 10+ min behind 'allowed' pace- add they swept at approx mile 4 which at a 20min pace would cause them to fall even further behind pace...

IMO the only people who have a right to complain about being swept are ones who were on pace and have a 5k time to prove it-

I think Disney does a disservice in a lot of ways of emphasizing training for a 15min mile it only gives a cushion of 1+ min a mile which can easily be lost with a potty stop, water stop, medical stop, character pic (which in some ways explains why entertainment is slowly disappearing off the course..) or even just a rough mile- People sometimes forget how fast time goes out on the course and how fast seconds become minutes..

I think with the issuance of 'starter medals' has breeded a group of "attempters" who come in very untrained and unprepared for the race. I'm not knocking those who valiantly train and try(believe me I'm not a fast runner either) or those who go out with injury but IMO if you are huffin and puffin to the start line of a WDW half or full you prob shouldnt be running the race...

There was an article awhile back about the 'balloon ladies' and a quote from the run diz race director stood out about his dislike for how competitor (RnRoll Races) handles 'behind pace' vs Dis- RnRoll will bus people along but then drop them off with a few miles to go to allow them to finish. and the dis director thought it was 'in poor taste' yet when the statistics of RnRoll having to assist between 10-50 a race vs Disney sweeping over 1% of their average race makes one really think.. Yes I know RnR races run with much less people but statistically thats MUCH more impressive than 1% of oh 18,000 which is almost 1,800+ people swept in a race...

I really am curious what % they are sweeping this year with the new proof of time requirements as I know a large % of runners padded their finish times to get better corral placement simply to pad their time knowing they would run a 16+ min avg..

I think its a mixed bag- You want to be super inclusive because rundis has gotten thousands if not more people off their couch and running (me included) and everyone has to start somewhere.. but at the same time making it as safe for everyone by enforcing rules and requirements esp when the races are selling out in record time- I would LOVE for 5000+ less runners on the course but when a race sells out in minutes to hours you know that isnt going to happen and so I think they are honestly trying to figure out the best way to include as many people as safely possible but when people are unable to keep pace or close to pace then the 'mean old run disney' has to come out.

Sucks for those who got swept but all I can hope is they harness that failure into training so it never happens again.

Mad Stitch

I was looking on YouTube to see if anyone posted video of the "Corral of Shame" incident when I found someone giving this bit of advise to anyone participating in a future race.

Plan on jumping corrals, if you are assigned D, go to B. After the race, ran into a couple of friends who were told to go forward to the next corral. Seems like assigned corrals is a not a real requirement. Yes they finished.

Picard-facepalm.jpg

Maryssa*

I understand it was a really unfortunate situation... but honestly some of them carried on for DAYS on the runDisney facebook page... there's still sarcastic comments on recent posts or any chance they find. But yeahhhh encouraging each other to cheat corrals is really not a good idea :banghead:

mufasa0505

At Tink I don't think you could jump corrals the way it was set up. I was in A (probably the only time I'll ever see that!) and had to be cleared by several people to get up there. WDW marathon people were heading to the potties then jumping the barricades when the corrals started moving forward.

imagination30

yes , wdw was a mess for people that don't listen to instucitons, bc many people where trying to get in B corral in front of me .. but they were told they couldn't , bc of there bib and they were stricked ... on that.. which was good! .. but People will try anything theses days!

Katherine

Reading how the conversation is carrying-on on the FB page breaks my heart. It sounds like if communication had been better this would not be as big of a conversation piece. It's disheartening so many people had such an unmagical time. Regardless of pacer and if people were on pace or not, it just wasn't handled well. :(

Also, 1% of 18,000 is 180. Still 3x's as large as RnR's sweep rate.

lukacseven

yes , wdw was a mess for people that don't listen to instucitons, bc many people where trying to get in B corral in front of me .. but they were told they couldn't , bc of there bib and they were stricked ... on that.. which was good! .. but People will try anything theses days!
Disney races are among the very few I've done where corral assignments are actually enforced and/or runner's respect their corral assignments. We do not want first-timers sneaking into corral B and walking 6 wide.

Astro Blaster

I did the Wine and Dine in 2012 and was placed in the last corral because it was my first half-marathon. I was not running for a time goal at all - ended up finishing 2:20 - but If I was it would've been hard because the first couple of miles are jam-packed with bodies. When I finally got some room to run it felt like a car going from dead-stop traffic to a freeway.

However, I had a blast! Like I said, I wasn't concerned with time. I stopped to enjoy the surroundings a bunch. If you really care about your time, I would highly suggest doing everything possible to be placed in one of the early corrals.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom